FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Question about Tantrums

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lizza
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question about Tantrums

Hannah is now throwing tantrums full force when, she is cranky or something does not go her way. However, she is started something new and that is banging her head on the kitchen floor over and over again while, screaming.
    Are you all going through this and how do you all handle the banging of the head on the kitchen floor?

I have been walking off but, then I feel like she is going to hurt herself and I will remove her. I think we are getting to the TWO's early!
    Live Love and Be Happy!

2. Advertisement

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I just popped over to wish Dana's Chloe good luck w/her surgery and saw this post. My DS is a tantrum king so I feel pretty well-qualified to respond and hope you don't mind!

Hate to say it, but we just let him bang his head on the floor (we have marble floors, too) and didn't even acknowledge when he did it. They figure out pretty fast that banging the noggin hurts and they don't bang for very long.

As for the tantrums, we just let him have them. Toddlers have a lot of emotions and don't really know how to identify or express what they are feeling. When a tantrum hits we just offer words to help him/her identify what they might be feeling (i.e., "are you mad?", "are you frustrated?") and then tell them that its okay to feel that way.

DS can really have some doozy's so I often tell him that he can be "mad" but that it hurts my ears and that I will be over here (usually somewhere on the other side of the room) and to come get me when he's done. This has really helped shorten them.

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Noah doesn't do the head banging thing (yet!). When he has a tantrum he just kicks his feet. But I would probably do the same as Jillie if he did.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quinn hasn't started with bad tantrums...yet. I am sure they are coming. With my DD's we would give them hugs and try to communicate with them at first - like Jillie said - give them words to use since they don't have them. If that didn't work, then we would ignore, trying to make sure they were in a safe area. DD#1 had one tantrum on the kitchen floor and that was all it took.

Tantrums can be frustrating.
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

rchatter
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Around 18 months, I noticed the tantrums and head banding started when he refused his oatmeal or milk at breakfast at 18 months and I let him out of his chair hungry. The tantrums and the head banging came full force. It wasn't worth my sanity so now he can have all the dry Corn Flakes and cheese he wants (as long as he eats some Raisin Bran and half an apple first).

This also happened in other meals (oh those days when he only would eat pasta) but he has gotten better as long as there is something to nibble on while he waits for something to eat.
    Rita

Sanjay (7)
    Alex (5)

TRSBM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brady was a head banger also The good thing is I said WAS! From 18-20ish month he wanted to do that. I let him hit his head until he started leaving marks on his head and people looked at me like I abused him. After that when he went to bang his head I would pick him up and put him somwhere softer never said a word to him jut let him bang on a softer surface.

I never thought the tantrums would end or even get better. Thankfully they have an a lot came from maturing and speech increasment! Good Luck
    J

Mom to "B" From Kazakhstan and
    A from Vietnam

Don't compare yourself to others; they are more screwed up than you think

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Oh yes, the tantrums have started here too. Thankfully no head banging yet. For now we just walk away but I imagine it's hard when you see her with the potential to hurt herself. Having said that I like Jill's suggestion of moving her to a softer surface without saying a word.
    Lisa
    My three sweet miracles
    DS = the big 8!
    DD = 6...going on 16
    DS = just shy of TWO!

KAMILI
    is taking a mommy break :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    We have a head banger and it's her car seat or high chair. I just walk away and she takes that as being ignored and she doesn't like to be ignored and she stops it.

Also, I will just kinda look at her when she's doing this to make sure she's okay and then go back to doing what I was doing like washing dishes, etc.. and when I come back to her I tell her about banging her head of how it can hurt baby, etc... and she gives and a "I'm sorry" hug and kiss.

Good luck!!
    ~ 7 1/2 years old
    & ~ 11 months old