FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Aggressive 18 month old??

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Galsunshine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

Aggressive 18 month old??

Hi ladies, I know I don't post very often on here, but hope maybe someone has some advice.

My youngest, Cameron, who is 18 months, is very very aggressive. He is constantly hitting, pushing, pulling hair and now biting. I really don't know what to do with him. If he doesn't get his way he will bite you. He will chase his brother and sister around the room until he can get his teeth in them. No matter what I do he won't stop. People have told me to bite him back but I think that kind of defeats the purpose, how can I tell him not to bite if I bite him? I put him in time outs, seperate the kids, have even spanked his little butt, though not hard. I am so tired of picking him up from daycare and having them tell me he bit so and so today, or hit or pulled hair or whatever. Yesterday I was in the bank, he wanted to get down to play, and I wouldn't let him, so he bit me, then started pulling my hair and hitting me while screaming the whole time. I finally got him settled down but I was so embarrassed by his behavior. There is a 2 1/2 yr old in daycare he has hit with a bowl and gave a bloody nose, grabs him by the hair and pulls him down, and pushes him all the time. My twins were never this aggressive and I just don't know how to handle this. He really has me totally stressed out. Any advice out there??
    Tammy

2. Advertisement

wiings
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tammy,
    I feel your pain. My little one was into hitting and thought it was great fun. I bought a couple of books since no one I talked to seemed to have any solutions. What worked for me was telling him sternly and calmly no hitting and then picking him up and placing him in his empty playard(playpen) in another room and closing the door. He'd be in timeout for 2-3mins at which time I would get him whether he was still crying or not(as he'd received a consequence to his action). In the beginning I think there might have been a few days where we made many trips to the playard for time outs. This has cured him----he really needed to know there'd be a consequence to his action. Every so often he'll still test to see what will happen---and he's quickly reminded.
    Out in public: one author recommends strapping child in stroller and leaving the area---- or going to your car and placing him in the car seat.

Books: The New Basics by Michel Cohen, M.D. ( a section on discipline----you can just go to Target and read it there)

The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp, M.D.

Remember it'll pass----I think you're little one is strong willed and entering the terrible twos a little early.

Hope this helps----just from my experience---which is very limited.
    TTC #1: 3.5yrs (2 failed IUIs/IVF#1: m/c)
    ~~~~ IVF#2: + blessed with 4/04

TTC #2: IVF#3/FET#1:BFN IVF#4: +
    ***** 1 little EDD:7/5 (c-s scheduled 6/23)

"...it will be the longest, coolest, most refreshing drink I have ever known.." unknown

AnnetteG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    No advice to offer...

just and lots of patience.
    Proud Mommy of &

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this and it sounds like Deb gave you some good advice here.
    Lisa
    My three sweet miracles
    DS = the big 8!
    DD = 6...going on 16
    DS = just shy of TWO!

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

LouisvilleLady
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Pensive
    UNfortunately we are dealing with it here as well. If you find something that really works, pass it along this way! Mine is more of a bully to his sister who is 4!!! You would think a 4 year old would win in a situation like this, but he weighs almost the same as her. She cannot physically hold her own! Right now we just remove him from the situation and talk sternly to him.

Good luck and hang in there!
    Andrea AKA: LouisvilleLady

DD, 9 yrs.
    DS, 6 yrs.
    DS, 5 yrs. from China

Lizza
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am going through the hitting phase when, she can not have her way. I have told her, " NO hitting or Do NOT hit" but, that will last maybe 5 mins. Then she will have her tantrum and hit again. I do not know where she is picking this up from or maybe this is a phase that we all will go through.

Many hugs to you. I read the other responses and I might try time outs now.
    Live Love and Be Happy!