FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Do you "discipline" your one year old?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    TamiK
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you "discipline" your one year old?

I need a little help. Abigail & Caleb are very curious (of course) and we pretty much have the rooms they are in baby proofed, but there are 1 or 2 things that they can still get to that we can't do much with. (i.e. we have covered the fireplace hearth, but now they climb on it and get the fireplace screen). Some days I am tired of sounding like a broken record, and don't want them to think their first name is "NO", so what do you do? I say "No" , pull their hand away, and tell them why they can't do/have that (several times), and then finally take them away from whatever they are not supposed to being doing.

My friend says that she has started putting her 1 year old twins in "time-out"...if they won't listen she sits one on the couch and they have to sit there for 10-15 seconds. Do you think they get that concept, or are they too young?

Just wondering what I should be doing.
    Tammy Ryan
    Abigail & Caleb
    Boy/Girl twins born 8-18-04 at 26 weeks

This Blog
    That Blog

2. Advertisement

burra
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I discipline my 21 mth old DD...but not time out. I use "Stop" as our sign....as well as "no". Stop seems to get her attention more. Then I distract her from the situation. Seems to be working at the moment...she will go back sometimes but I just persist and in the end she moves on to something else.

Not sure a one year old would understand the concept of time-out...maybe after two but before that I would question the effectivness...JMHO

Good luck.
    Karen
    DS 7/93 DD 12/03 DS 11/05

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    We reserve the word "no" for potentially dangerous situations. Usually, I'll walk over, take Rico's hand and say, "Oh let's do something else" - in other words, I use redirection. There are so many things much more interesting than a fireplace, don't you think?
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

KAMILI
    is taking a mommy break :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieL
    We reserve the word "no" for potentially dangerous situations. Usually, I'll walk over, take Rico's hand and say, "Oh let's do something else" - in other words, I use redirection. There are so many things much more interesting than a fireplace, don't you think?
    Ditto!! I've never heard of sounding like a "broken" record. DD thinks it's cute that mommy says "no" -- DD will point at something and say "nooooooooo". I will tell her "yes" honey that means "no" and to not touch it because it will "hurt" baby.
    ~ 7 1/2 years old
    & ~ 11 months old

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    We also used a lot of redirection at that age, but now that DS is almost 22 months old we are starting to discipline - he has even stood in the corner twice (and hated it, he started crying right away but stayed there). Quinn gets into everything and somedays I say "no,that will hurt you" about a million times!!!
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

FiletMe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if my 16 mo. old ds "gets it", but if I tell him no or not to do something and he keeps doing it, I'll tell him if he does it again he'll have to go to his bed. It might be totally random and not related, but he does seem to stop what he is doing and walk away. I have put him in his bed maybe 5 or 6 times total, for 30 sec. to 1 minute, so I think he knows what it means when I tell him he will have to get in his bed. I don't think he would "get" a time out like sitting on couch or in a corner yet, it would probably be more of just a redirection thing.
    Amy

AnnetteG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    We also use a lot of redirection... I don't think time outs are really effective until after 2.
    Proud Mommy of &

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the barge, but wanted to offer what we did with the fireplace. We put a baby gate in the opening.
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old

meandlina
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On time here eith, I think DD is still too young to understand it. I also use a lot of redirecting, it works most of the time. I love your avatar!!
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law,no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in it's path" Agatha Christie