FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Question for Moms of clingy babies

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question for Moms of clingy babies

Hi ladies,
    I'm barging over here but will be joining you in 2 short months!!
    Joe, one of my twin 10 month olds, is a clingy Momma's boy. Geez, my first born was never like this and Charlotte is not like that either. Is it a boy thing?
    He can play happily on the floor for a little while but if I leave the room he WAILS. Then he starts crawling, like he's looking for me, but sobbing the whole time. When I walk back in the room he's usually crawling and sobbing! This morning dh said that he was leaving a snail trail because snot was coming out of his nose as he was crying. The moment I pick him up he stops crying.
    He is not a neglected baby! I hold him all the time; and because I'm lazy and still nursing, he sleeps with me! When I drop him at daycare he doesn't cry, but I think it's because he just gets busy manipulating the ladies there! (hee hee)
    Does anyone have a baby like this? Or did you have one that grew out of it? Is it a stage he might outgrow? He has been a higher needs baby since day one - colicky, etc. He's definitely easier now than he was before he could sit up, but it's pretty much impossible for me to even fold a load of laundry without him yelling at me.
    Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

2. Advertisement

MommaRitz
    happy to be back!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Katie - He is a Mama's boy. My son is now 15 months and he started that around a year old - he would literally sit on me feet and hold my leg like a koala. Just a phase they go through. Just indulge him for a little while, give him hugs, give him security and show it something fun to do and evenutally he will understand you arent gonna pack your bags any minute and leave. Boys are so diff from girls

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    It's not unique to boys. I have a couple of girlsfriends who have little girls just like that. I wish I had some advice for you.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

virga
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Van is 21 months, I'm sorry not to give you better news, and hanging off me as I type. LOL Bain isn't like this at all, nor was Cai. He isn't NEARLY as bad when we are with a group or visiting friends, etc.
    Last edited by virga; 09-29-2005 at 03:52 PM.
    Mom to ~
    Daughter 8/91; Son 5/01; Son 12/03; Son [born and returned] 8/07

Lizza
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When I was little, I had a terrible case of Separation Anxiety and it lasted until I was about 5.

Now, Hannah started showing signs of it around 5 months and she was DX with it at 9 months. You can not leave her during the day to go the bathroom as, she will cry at the door and start knocking. She does not warm up to new people very well and we have now put her in MDO. We know she needs the socialization with other children. She ALWAYS cries and wails when it is time for me to drop her off.

The best advice I can give you is, make sure that he knows you will be back. IE: Telling him, Bye or See you later. No, I am not a pediatrician but, I have done some research on this. Including going to the bathroom or doing your daily activities around the home.

It is important that, they have socialization with other children. Always introduce him slowly to any big social event or crowd.

Give him a toy or something that reminds him of home when he is away.

Now.. I understand what my mother went through with my separation anxiety.
    Last edited by Melissea; 09-29-2005 at 11:42 AM.
    Live Love and Be Happy!

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The need to be near Mama started with Ben at about 3 months when I left him in the nusery at church. He didn't stop crying until I came back in to get him. If I left him in the livingroom just long enough to go pee he would whine until I got back. Now he just called out "MAAAAMAAAAAA MAAAAMAAAA"

Now at 23 months, I can leave him for short period (going pee) and he's fine.

Lisa

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Not unique to boys for sure! My DD#2 is very clingy still at 4 years old - she hates to be without me and will cry when I leave her at school (not all the time, but too often). She loves her days home with me so she can play with me. She does fine at school and I was just told she is "well adjusted" which I had to laugh a little at!!

in the meantime - enjoy that he loves and needs you so much now!!
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

Karin
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Hi Katie,

I'm so glad to see this post. I was actually going to post on this bb about this very same thing. Carolyn who is just 14 months is going through this BIG TIME! Angela had it at around 9 months but it went away. I'm getting frustrated with this. Carolyn wakes up and just SCREAMS ma ma mama. I thought maybe she's teething but I'm not sure that's it. When I pick her up she's fine.

I agree with Melissa about socialization. Carolyn is such a smiley, happy baby. I'm not quite sure why she is doing this. When she's in her high chair eating, If I get up and walk into the kitchen she WAILS eventhough Angela is sitting across the table from her. I wish I had some great advice for you Katie. I don't! I think it just needs to take it's course. Angela experienced this for a month or so and then she was over it. She's a shy kid where as Carolyn is not. Go figure!

Just wanted to say I feel for you, I really do!
    "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things"

katiesmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Confused
    yup here too but my ds now 15 months was no cuddler so I was really baffeled by his clingyness. I had to be in the room. And dh would get up with him sometimes in the am and he was fine until I walked into the room .Then all of a sudden WAAAA WAAAA he would just turn into this whinny cranky thing. It was so frustrating. I could not get up from my seat without starting this whole big whine cry scene. He has chilled out for the most part but he still has his momets. The worst part about all this was he did not want me to hold him(so there were not all those cuddley moments) he just wanted me next to him
    Linda

TTC 4 years 6 failed Clomid/HCG/IUI
    *KB natural suprise miracle born at 28 weeks 9/14/99 due to HELLP syn.
    *JB another natural suprise 6/16/04
    AND BABY make three MADISON CLAIRE!!!!! born June 22nd 6lbs 2 oz our family is complete

TamiK
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Katie....Caleb kind of does the same thing. If I am out of the room, sometimes he will start crying and crawling around looking for me, crying the whole time. He buries his face in the carpet and cries like it's the end of the world. Other times he is fine. I think his is mostly when he's tired or hungry though...so not sure I'm much help!
    Tammy Ryan
    Abigail & Caleb
    Boy/Girl twins born 8-18-04 at 26 weeks

This Blog
    That Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast