FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Should I be upset...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lizza
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Should I be upset...

I believe we have had a similar post about this topic on here but, here is my question. Also, I am seeing two different points of views on this so, maybe I could gain some new/ fresh insight.

Just today, Hannah and I take a trip to Super Target to run some errands plus, I was having ' cabin fever.' I put Hannah in the shopping cart like we all do and I start my shopping.

As we walk down the food isle, I see other SAHM's doing the same thing I am with their children. Their children wave at me and I wave BACK.
    Hannah is at the age where, she wants to be noticed by everyone and has quite a personality.

We go to the dog food isle and she starts barking because, she is looking at a picture of a dog on a dog food bag. There is no one else there except for us and I tell her ' Good Job, You are very smart!'

We get to a isle where there is one other lady shopping. Hannah can see that, the lady made eye contact with her and the lady turned her head quickly to get what she needed. Hannah starts WAVING like crazy trying to get this lady to at least acknowledge her and Hannah finally resorted to clapping. The lady now sees that, she is waving/clapping and walks away to another isle. Hannah follows her with her eyes like, " where are you going, I waved at you to say hi and at least, you could have waved back!"

Now this is what bugs me I know that, it shouldn't because, this is quite common. Hannah will wave at someone to say 'hi' and the person turns there head elsewhere. That is when, I usually say a comment loud enough so, the other person can hear. We tell Hannah some people do not want to say HI all the time or some people are just rude.

One part of me says, " I don't want her waving to everyone as, there are plenty of weirdos in this world."

The other part says, " How rude/ self centered can some people be."

What do you all think? Or how do you all handle this?
    I am writing to gain some new insight on and I know there has been a few here that have also experienced this as well.
    Live Love and Be Happy!

2. Advertisement

meandlina
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know just what you mean. As least people can say/wave hi. Something!!! I usually just tell DD maybe they were having a bad day. Trust me your not alone here!!!
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law,no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in it's path" Agatha Christie

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Things like that have never really bothered me. I know that the problem is with the person ignoring my child, not my child.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    You know, Rico is also Mr. Hi! He says hi to everyone and I call him the official greeter of wherever we are.

But, I can tell you, in our situation right now, I can't even bring myself to go into a store. Seeing kids - normal, happy kids shopping with their moms would bring me to my knees. You just never know what's going on with the person who is ignoring your child. Maybe their life is difficult right now. Maybe they are going through IF. Maybe they have a sick child. It's not personally directed at your child, you know?
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    This bugs the heck out of me too! I just think it is so rude. I feel the same way if I say hello to an adult and they don't respond. VERY rude. There is nothing you can do except know that some people are just different. Also, sometimes I have to stop and think that maybe the person has IF struggles or can't have children so this makes them upset or maybe they have a day away from their own children and just want to be by themselves. I guess the long and the short of it is you just don't know what a person's reasons might be and all you can do is teach your child to be polite.
    Lisa
    My three sweet miracles
    DS = the big 8!
    DD = 6...going on 16
    DS = just shy of TWO!

LostAngel212
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meandlina
    I know just what you mean. As least people can say/wave hi. Something!!! I usually just tell DD maybe they were having a bad day. Trust me your not alone here!!!
    i agree
    CeCelia and John

RIP MOM WE LOVE YOU 6/26/1948-6/10/2009

G is 6!!!!
    J is 4!!!!
    SD 22!!

check out my chocolate website: http://chocolatesbycecelia.home.comcast.net

KAMILI
    is taking a mommy break :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by meandlina
    Ditto!! At least give SOMETHING back!! If we're standing in line waiting to pay and the person in front or back of us doesn't pay attention she will reach out for them. I will 'remember' to "think" before speaking because you never know what kind of day someone is having or even if they are going through IF.

OR ..

What about when DD says "baby" to other babies and the parent walks off "as if". I think it's cute when our little ones and even other babies "meet" in a store and start a converstation with their "baby" talk.
    ~ 7 1/2 years old
    & ~ 11 months old

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    I deal with rude people all day long and have really lost faith that there are more good people than rude. I agree with Marie, though, that sometimes there are other things going on in their lives and it MAY be too much for them to do at that time. I try to believe that these people have excuses for their behavior.
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

Lizza
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank You all for the replies as, I knew I would gain new insight
    Live Love and Be Happy!