FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
We are now the owners of an Epi Pen Jr!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Louisette
    got accepted into the Family Nurse Practitioner Program for Graduate School starting Fall '11

Post Thanks / Like

We are now the owners of an Epi Pen Jr!

Maybe you remember me posting about Hunter's allergic reaction in July to Eggplant. It happened within 2 minutes. I turned my head away and next time I looked he was red as a cherry tomato on his face with lips that were swelling. I didn't have any Benadryl, why? Because I don't have allergies. I think the only time I used it was when the dog got stung in the eye! So much for being prepared, and I'm a Nurse!

Well, it happened again last week and this time it was fresh tomatoes. He has had sauce before so I never even dreamed it would happen with, of all things this. He was again bright red with his lips looking like those of Mick Jaggar! Poor thing but at least I had the benedryl!!

I ended up bringing him to the Ped's office because he started to drool profusely and I was concerned. They zipped us thru right away, and things seemed to quiet down.

We went to the Allergist today and will await blood testing. But now I have this Epinepherine Pen that I just take the top off and jab it into his thigh if it happens again. I can't wait for the babysitters reaction. She won't be feeding him ANYTHING!

My poor little guy...

2. Advertisement

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    We have one too for my DD#2 - she has a lot of insect allergies. I carry it everywhere.
    Let us know what the allergy blood test shows. Have you given him peanut butter yet? Just curious...
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

Louisette
    got accepted into the Family Nurse Practitioner Program for Graduate School starting Fall '11

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, he was fine wit peanut butter. Thank goodness!

aloha no
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good that you have the epi pen now - HOPE you'll never have to use it! I pray the allergist finds out exactly what he's allergic to and he (and you!) won't have to go through that again.

Wonder why the fresh tomato causes it, but not the sauce??
    D E B

dd is FIVE!

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    We have one here too (peanut allergies) and were given an extra one to keep at daycare. You should find out if that is an option for you? I am glad you got it checked out - please keep us posted!
    Lisa
    My three sweet miracles
    DS = the big 8!
    DD = 6...going on 16
    DS = just shy of TWO!

Lizza
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Epi Pen is a wonderful little item to have. Just hope you do not have to use it.

We should really keep one at our home but, we do have Benedryl.
    Live Love and Be Happy!

meandlina
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad you'll be very prepared now, but I hope you don't have to use it!!!
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law,no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in it's path" Agatha Christie

AnnetteG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    As an owner of the EpiPen, I hope you don't have to use it on your little cutie pie... but they are a wonderful thing to have!

I've heard that a lot about fresh tomatoes... one of DH's employees has a similar reaction to them but not sauces.

Proud Mommy of &

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by aloha no

Wonder why the fresh tomato causes it, but not the sauce??
    This is not uncommon with many foods. When it is processed it changes the composition of the food and often will not cause a reaction in the broken down form. This was the case for Jillian who was allergic to eggs, but could eat eggs in things such as baked goods without a reaction.

I hope you get some answers soon.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

arat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im glad you posted this because I was thinking I needed one here for Mia as well, She has been allergic to a few things and it seems to be getting worse with each reaction which is usually hives from head to toe...when did they tell you it was time for the allergist? my pedi keeps telling me she's to young??? best of luck to you luv Tara
    Tara Dh-Andy
    ttc 4+ years
    Dx blocked tubes/ cysts/scar tissue
    2 failed IVF'S
    1 FET WORKED---We now have our miracle baby Mia!! 1-8-04
    Im so gratefull for my full membership thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast