FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Need help from Daycare Moms!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    meandlina
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Need help from Daycare Moms!!!!!!!

Angelina will be going to day care in January. My Aunt takes care of her for me right but I think Angelina needs the social interaction, the learning structure and just the fun of being around kids her age. And I know I am starting to look in to different day cares really early but I want to make sure DH and I feel comfortable with the day care we pick. So I really need help with what questions to ask. Here's the question I have now -

1) How offen do you screen your teachers?
    2) What is the teacher/child ratio?
    3) What is the security process for picking up children?
    4) What happens if my child gets hurt?
    5) Who has access to the children?
    6) How do you discilpine the children?
    7) What happpend if my child gets bullied?
    8) Who consoles my child if she cries?
    9) How long do you let her cry before you call me? (my biggest fear is that she will cry for me and I wont be there for her.)
    10) What is her schedule for the day? (eating, sleeping & playtime)
    11) How often can I come by and check up on her? (with out her seeing me)

This is already driving me crazy!! I already feel so stressed!!!!!!!!! The thought of her being with people I don't know drives me crazy!!!! I just want to break down and cry just thinking about it! But I know she needs this. She loves to be around others kids, she loves to play out side!!! My Aunt doesn't really have a place for her to play outside. And I really think she watches way to much T.V. at my Aunts. My Aunt does a super job of taking care of all of Angelina's needs but Angelina needs more. But I just can't get past the thought of her being with "strangers" out of my head!!!!!!!!! Please, please, please any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!!

Going Crazy here!!!!
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law,no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in it's path" Agatha Christie

2. Advertisement

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I can totally relate here

I think you have a pretty thorough list here. Let's see....ask about how they handle naps. Also, what is provided and what will you be expected to provide (my daycare provides meals and snacks). Do they have storage for Angelina's stuff (diapers, etc.) or do you need to bring a bag with her everyday? Lastly, do they give you a daily report? We got a daily report for the first year and loved them. It included what he ate (meals & snacks) and how many wet diapers (and bowel movements). It sounds over-the-top but it was really helpful so we would know not to feed him the same thing for dinner or we'd know if he was constipated or already had enough milk for the day. Find out what their policies are regarding sick children. Under what circumstances are children required to be kept home (this is important for you to know not only for yourself but for purposes of what Angelina may be exposed to.)

I won't tell you that it gets any easier but I think that you will know when you find the right one. And then you will still complain about them from time to time (right Stacy? LMAO) Just make sure that you are both comfortable with your choice. Good luck hon
    Lisa
    My three sweet miracles
    DS = the big 8!
    DD = 6...going on 16
    DS = just shy of TWO!

AnnetteG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    We don't do daycare all that often since I have a goofy work schedule and our situation is likely very different because we only do drop off but...

I dropped the big daycare for a teeny tiny one run out of a home. I didn't like that Genevieve had to compete with up to 22 other kids of all ages for attention. And since she was only there a couple days a month, she didn't know any of them either. What a daunting situation for ANYONE to be dropped into.

So... I started looking around and was lucky enough to find a woman who is a former RN whose children are all middle school and up ages and is currently in the process of adopting a child... she is sitting for some friend's kids and she agreed to sit for Miss G occasionally. Gen knows the little boys she watches (they ADORE Genevieve, which right now is cute but in high school... ain't gonna be so cute! ) and she gets one on one attention as often as possible. I feel SO much more comfortable with that set up. She's still around other kids, gets to play with them and other people but isn't overwhelmed by all those other little buggers (boogers). And if she's sick, she can still go over to Traci's house if she HAS to.

Just make sure when you narrow it down... audit the daycare for a day. And just drop in or call ahead sitting outside in your car. Don't give them the opportunity to be nicer for the day just because you're there, KWIM?

Lots of
    Proud Mommy of &

meandlina
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks girls!! I'll be picking your "brains" more about this!!
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law,no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in it's path" Agatha Christie

KAMILI
    is taking a mommy break :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    I can give you As it's a very hard and difficult decision to make. It's hard for me to leave her at the hourly care. I will stay behind and watch her through the window. Our paperwork is completed for daycare registration and I've been putting it off for a week now. It's been 2 months since she's been to daycare but I know SHE will be just fine. It's the other, older kids that I'm worried about. My stomach NEVER feels the same when I drop my angel off. I'm paranoid I will be THE mom to get THAT "you know" dreaded phone call but I try to run errands and do something else to take my mind off of her being gone.

Sick children were always in daycare - they are NOT supposed to but when I'd drop DD off I'd see sick kids running around with "boogie" noses.

Yes, we did get stats at the end of the day of what was eaten, playtime, how they played -- were they good, etc... Cute little stuff for dd's book.

When it's time to pick DD up - I will ask how she did, did she eat, who was in the room with her "mostly" during the time she's there. I'm sure the daycare didn't like me asking this every single time I came back to pick DD up but I don't care. They would say to me .. you are about the only one that comes in here and wants to know how your daughter is doing and how she did for the time she was here.
    ~ 7 1/2 years old
    & ~ 11 months old