FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
The thought of pasta is making me ill!!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    rchatter
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Chatty

The thought of pasta is making me ill!!

The last three weeks Sanjay has decided he will rebel against the spoon and all that it stands for. He refuses his oatmeal/Cream of Wheat in the morning or any rice/vegetable combo I have given him for the last 9 months. Yes! I am getting a alot of tantrums from a hungry dude.

The only thing he eats for lunch and dinner is spaghetti (with a side of chicken or salmon). Do you know how slow a 19 month can eat pasta??!?! He can be sitting there for a hour rolling it back and forth out of his mouth. I don't like putting a bowl on his tray because things can be flying so I have to be standing around giving him a few strands at a time. I tried showing him how to roll spaghetti on a fork but he isn't interested. How are your kids with pasta? Is it a tedious thing?

Oh! and the aftermath. He is red from head to toe. I usually feel like hurling.

I tried other alternatives like soup, peanut butter, cheese sandwich, waffles, pancakes, cereal with milk (the last three are for breakfast) but he isn't budging. The only thing he takes with a spoon from me is yogurt.

He also has given up drinking milk.

I really hope this gets better before the baby #2 arrives.
    Rita

Sanjay (7)
    Alex (5)

2. Advertisement

virga
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry, but I couldn't help but giggle when I read your post. I have framed pics of Van covered in spag and sauce--lol. He loves it, too! He is getting better at feeding himself. But like Sanjay, Van tosses his food if he is given more than a few bites at a time.

Hang in there, mom, this too shall pass.
    Mom to ~
    Daughter 8/91; Son 5/01; Son 12/03; Son [born and returned] 8/07

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With spagetti, I normally cut it into smaller pieces and serve it on a plate on his tray. He's a gusto eatter and uses his hands, forget the fork or spoon until he is nearly done. Than he's like "Oh yeah I could have used these" Its so funny.

When we feed him spag lately we strip him and put a bib on him. Much easier to clean up.

Ben only tosses food when he's done eatting. First its dump on the tray and than he starts to drop on the floor. Thats the signal to clean up fast.

This will pass.
    Hugs
    Lisa

meandlina
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I cut up her pasta or I use small pastas. So do you have any messy pictures to share??
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law,no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in it's path" Agatha Christie

AnnetteG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gen is tedious with it if we don't cut it up first or use the other smaller shapes (which she enjoys).

Ahh the joys of feeding a toddler, eh?

Proud Mommy of &

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Ahhh, the joys of a picky eater! I agree that you should cut up the spaghetti or give him smaller type pasta which he can pick up and eat with his hands.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

burra
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gracie went through a stage a couple of weeks ago with being picky...I was a mean Mummy and took her food away from her....and next meal she ate everything and has been back to her usual self again. I did feel bad, but hey it worked and she only missed one evening meal and still slept all night.

I am a hard task-master though
    Karen
    DS 7/93 DD 12/03 DS 11/05

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia

MissCookie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there girl!!! Hopefully it will get better. I still cringe when I open a can of peaches, they would really turn my stomach when I was pg w/ the boys and feeding Hazel. YUCK!