FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Hysteroscopy vs laparoscopy

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    aarellano
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Hysteroscopy vs laparoscopy

Hi everyone
    I posted this in another section previously and didn't get a response. I just finished my 2 ww with a bfn. I met with my RE today for a follow up and he wants to do a hysteroscopy. I mentioned to him I had appendicitis as a child and was worried about possible scarring and he said he still wants to do a hysteroscopy and not a laparoscopy because it's more invasive and there's greater risks involved with the lap. What exactly is the difference between the two and will I have greater chances of finding stuff with a lap vs hysteroscopy? Should I put my foot down and request a lap or just take his word on doing the hysteroscopy? He's doing a D&C as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FertileThoughts

Sent from my iPhone using FertileThoughts

2. Advertisement

HelpAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Hi! I replied on your other post, but figured I would also post here:

A hysteroscopy looks at scar tissue in the uterus and is done without anesthesia. A laparoscopy examines the tubes for blockages or scarring and is done with general anesthesia. From what I've gathered in your post, it sounds like a hysteroscopy is the best diagnostic test for you.

Good luck!
    Kim

ncty
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    My hysteroscopy was done under anesthesia. They can remove scar tissue during a hysteroscopy which is what I had done. It is done as an outpatient procedure. My doctor put a balloon in to help keep walls from sticking together and forming more scar tissue. He also out me on vaginal estrace to help thicken my lining.

mumsiedchic
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had hysteroscopy done twice. Both times under anesthesia. And Both times multiple uterine polyps were removed during the procedure. Hysteroscopy affords your doctor the opportunity to look inside the uterus to see if there are structural reasons inside the uterus for infertility- Issues like uterine polyps and uterine septum which can prevent implantation can be safely treated with the hysteroscopic procedure. If you are going through or in the process of considering IVF, I will suggest a hysteroscopy over Laparoscopy because blocked tubes and other external scarring which the laparoscopy is geared towards is circumvented in IVF. I hope this makes sense.

Alesha8385
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, I just had my laparoscopy surgery yesterday. They removed my left fallopian tube because of fluid blockage. They told me I had scar tissue on my right Fallopian tube and right ovary. The surgeon said he was able to clean them up. Just wondering if anyone has experienced positive pregnancies through similar situation? TIA