FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Advice on hydrosalpinx and various forms of treatment to try before removal?

ttcinnyc
    curious

Post Thanks / Like

Hi FertileThoughts - thanks for running such a great forum - it's been very helpful reading through a lot of people's experiences and thoughts. I'd like to get advice on various things to try before complete salpingectomy+IVF as it seems to me that it's a very drastic move and from which there is really no return. I'm open to all kinds of treatment options, though the ones I know about are: ClearPassage, Toth's antibiotic regimen, Chinese medicine (Fuyan pills), acupuncture etc.

Some background:
    - 31 yo female, healthy hormone levels
    - A few months ago, had abdominal/uterine pain and ultrasound came back with large dermoid cyst (5 inches). Went in for laparosopic surgery to remove it - surgery went OK but doctor mentioned seeing (and removing adhesions) on one tube
    - Recently went in for HSG and doctor said it showed bilateral hydros - pretty devastated as there was no spillage at all

I'm curious if people know if there's like a "regimen" to try before the salpingectomy+IVF. I'd like to exhaust all possible non-invasive options before having my tubes out while minimizing further damage to my body. Some things I'm considering:

- ClearPassage - I guess I can see what the "Wurn" technique is talking about with removing adhesions through PT but after looking at surgical videos of doctors removing adhesions, I have some doubts that adhesions can be removed just through physical massage. I'm also worried that it'll result in further damage (to ovaries perhaps) to have constant physical pressing on them
    - Castor Oil packs - I've been doing these and while it does relieve some pain/bloating, I don't really see how the castor oil can penetrate and remove the adhesions
    - Toth - I've been reading about Dr. Toth's recommend antibiotic regimen to remove "hidden chlamydia" that is the source of the inflammation to begin with. One question: is it possible that the inflammation once removed will get rid of the hydros or are the adhesions there to stay?
    - Acupuncture - I'm open to acu as a cure but not sure what or who to ask for in this area
    - Chinese medicine - this seems the most "scammy" to me - the pills are expensive, not scientifically tested and even have a pretty ugly website - would love to see positive results from something like this but have little hopes.

I've been searching but can't find if there's like a graduated list of things that other women have tried before going under the knife. I'd love to exhaust all my options first.

Much thanks!

ttcinnyc

2. Advertisement

HelpAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Hi there,

I don't personally know much about herbal/natural remedies for blocked tubes, but I am asking around and will have someone respond below

Kim

Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry
    If you are looking at doctors to treat you, Toth and Braverman are both in NYC. They have slightly different approaches. I read Toth's book, and it makes sense to me why his treatment works. If memory serves me correctly, neither take insurance so it will all be out of pocket.

Toth answers emails personally... and I think he will consider a phone consult if you would like.

Dr. Beers regimen is used at the Beers Clinic, and I believe his clinic is in California. (Beers is no longer alive, but the clinic he founded is very much in practice). I also read his book and that made sense to me. I think it is a matter of which protocol you find strikes your fancy (or makes the most sense to you).

In my reading from others that have used Toth, Braverman or Beers on FertileThoughts they all have a decent degree of success but it takes time to allow your body to heal. If you are with a partner, your partner will also be treated since there is no use in treating you if your partner is just going to reinfect you.

I can't comment on Clear Passage... didn't look into it (but I will now!)

Castor Oil packs- I tried this myself before I knew about my hydro. I also have read some decent success with opening scarred tubes or helping with fibroids. In my opinion, I don't think this helped my hydro at all since hydro is an infection and the root of the infection needed to be treated. (Going back to the Toth, Braverman and Beers theory).

Acupuncture- I did acupuncture and was happy with how it evened my hormones out. It seemed to normalize AF for me. In hindsight, I had chronic endometritis from my undiagnosed hydro and I think this is why I would bleed like a stuck pig.

Traditional Chinese Medicine- This has a lot of solid foundation and I believe it can help once your body is healed from the infection. I didn't get pg with TCM, but many do. Or at least they think it helped them to get pg. Yes, I tried it.

Chiropractic- This is really the treatment that I loved and continue to use. Chiropractors try to bring you back into balance within your body. Mine also gives recommendations for supplements, which I think have helped my overall health tremendously. If you can find a good chiro that has some experience with infertility and pregnancy, I think this goes a long way towards healing your body. BUT, they don't treat infection...

I'm leaving my signature on this reply. My hydro was diagnosed accidentally since I had zero symptoms other than I couldn't get seemingly normal embryos to implant. I had the tube removed in the end. After it was removed I did a fresh cycle and the FET before my BFP. I think I wasted a lot of time and money because I didn't know I had a hydro. I don't think my embryos could implant because my uterus was so angry from the toxins dripping down from my tube. Once the tube was out, I looked back and realized that I did have pain all along... (Also, could be coincidence, but the right tube was where my hydro was and my right ovary always was an underproducer).

I guess my advice to you is to talk to the doctors I mentioned above. You don't have to go with their theory. BUT, if you are an older woman, like I am at the age of 41 now, I would go straight to having the tubes removed and an IVF cycle, possibly with donor egg. If you are younger, as in under the age of 35, I would have it removed and do a couple of cycles to bank eggs. If you are under 28 or so, I would consider Toth, Braverman or Beers... but your body needs time to heal from their treatment.

I'm not a doctor... This is just advice from someone who wishes she knew sooner about the hydro and treated accordingly. Hope it helps.
    Me- 41 Secondary Infertility, Hydrosalpinx, DH- 26 No known defects
    My Own Eggs- IVF 10/12 BFN, IVF 12/12 BFN, FET 1/13 BFN, IVF 2/13 BFN
    Donor Eggs- IVF 4/13 Frozen Eggs BFN, IVF 7/13 Fresh Donor eSet BFN, FET 8/13 BFN; FET eSET 10/13 BFN; FET of 2 11/13 BFP, first beta 304, second 1106, third 10246 (5w4d pg) u/s shows ONE bean!

My blog - Normal People Don't Talk About This
    Thanks HelpAtFertilityAuthority thanked for this post
    Likes HelpAtFertilityAuthority liked this post

MrsMurray11
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great advice! I am 37 and had I started this process earlier I would have definitely removed the tubes and went straight to ivf. Is the hydro diagnosed through the hsg dye test? I am having that test in a few weeks.

MrsMurray11
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My acupuncture lady put me on Chinese herbs please message me if anyone wants the names of the meds