FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Freaking out over HSG

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    bbnj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Freaking out over HSG

We've had three seemingly perfect tries fail, so our RE has set up an HSG for Friday morning before we move on to try number four. From what I've read, it's a simple procedure. My biggest concern is what the result will be... My wife only has one ovary (the other was removed four years ago because it became a dermoid cyst). What if her only fallopian tube turns out to be blocked? It's difficult enough for us to afford sperm and IUIs, I have no idea how much the procedure will even be, let alone trying to go for IVF.

Part of me says I'm worried over nothing, but a bigger part of me is saying the doctor wouldn't order this test if he thought everything was fine and we just needed to keep trying.

Just looking for a little reassurance...

2. Advertisement

Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry
    I had multiple failed tries, and after some insistence they did a lap and scoped my uterus. I had a raging infection in my tube. I'm currently pregnant after ivf. If this is the reason for her infertility, then you can hope for increased fertility after they treat her. I'd really recommend the lap and scope, not just the dye test. My dye test never showed a problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Me- 41 Secondary Infertility, Hydrosalpinx, DH- 26 No known defects
    My Own Eggs- IVF 10/12 BFN, IVF 12/12 BFN, FET 1/13 BFN, IVF 2/13 BFN
    Donor Eggs- IVF 4/13 Frozen Eggs BFN, IVF 7/13 Fresh Donor eSet BFN, FET 8/13 BFN; FET eSET 10/13 BFN; FET of 2 11/13 BFP, first beta 304, second 1106, third 10246 (5w4d pg) u/s shows ONE bean!

My blog - Normal People Don't Talk About This

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    I would say this test is simply to cover the bases. I would expect an open tube. I find HSGs are generally informative, but keep in mind they can be misleading - your RE can clarify. I had 3 HSGs with various levels of discomfort and results. FX (fingers crossed for luck).

bbnj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your input - we'll have to see how things go. I'll make sure to keep an open mind even if results come back saying it's blocked. Originally, he seemed super confident we'd get her pregnant within five or six cycles. If the HSG shows her tube is open and try number six fails, we'll probably opt for lap and scope. We meant to do an HSG with her OBGYN before moving on to an RE, but forgot all about it and never got around to it.

A follow-up question... are resutls given as the test is done, or do they have to evaluate the xrays first and call us back later? If all is well, our normal protocol has us moving on to shots on Sunday, so we'd have to order meds on Friday.

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    My REs/tech gave me initial results on the table, e.g. easy flow right, but needed to review later for final results. I hope your RE or an experienced tech is doing the procedure. I regret having a tech do my recent HSG just b/c it left Qs. My RE said I could do another but I declined.

Wishing your DE minimal discomfort and good results.

bbnj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    They wouldn't let me back with her, but she says it hurt like hell. I feel so bad for her having to go through all these pokes and prods... As it turns out, even though the right ovary was removed (four years ago - dermoid cyst), the right fallopian tube is still there. It's completely blocked, which sounded weird, but wasn't our biggest concern. The left side looks good - she got to see the dye spill out from it, so all looks well thus far. We'll have to see what fate brings. Our RE wants to get a bit more aggressive for three more tries, then re-evaluate if those fail (probably a lap at that point).

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    Yea for an open tube! Check that off the list. FX for the next set of cycles.