FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
HSG - severe pain afterwards??

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    hbhh
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

HSG - severe pain afterwards??

This is my first post on here. Today I had my first HSG test done. Due to my cervix and uterus not "cooperating" it was amazingly painful. About an hour later I had minor cramping, but now hours later I have such severe abdominal pain that it hurts to even walk. I called my RE thinking that I may have an infection from the procedure, but the nurse said it may be air in there from the procedure. Any others have this happen?...

2. Advertisement

HelpAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Hi hbhh,

Ah...the dreaded HSG. I do remember it was a painful procedure as it was happening. I can't recall how I felt afterward, but I'm sure if I had significant pain, I would remember. Definitely keep a watchful eye and let your nurse know if the pain continues tomorrow. I'm sorry this had to be your first post, but welcome and I am sure you will meet many amazing ladies on the boards here!

Best,
    Kim

lollicatt
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I had mine done today and it was horrifying. This was early this morning and I'm still in a lot of pain. I didn't get the results today bc my RE will go over them with the results of my ultrasound and bloodworm. But hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

JennyAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    Hi, ladies!

It's been about a year and a half since I had mine but I still remember it. I am allergic to Motrin/Aleve (woot woot!) so I could only take Tylenol beforehand (I may or may not have scavenged my house and found an old Vicodin..)

At any rate - Lollicat I just wanted to tell you that it gets better pretty quick, if I remember. It was not my most favorite sensation during, but once I got home that's when I really had severe cramping - but apparently it's from the air that gets hurled up there during the procedure.. I remember it being like really horrifying gas, but in my uterus. :/

Hoping you're feeling better and you get some answers!

inkks
    staying positive

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All

When I took my HSG test, it was horrific. I'd been given a pain killer for it but it didn't start till after the test. They took me early. I had heavy spotting the rest of the day and the next day. Then light spotting for two days after the test. I had cramping for a day and a half after the test. I also have abnomyosis. I don't know if that contributed to the pain. The result was bilateral hydro. So if the doc gives you a pain killer take it an hour before the test begins.

L