FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
HSG test showed blocked tubes

Baby4Cece
    got a BFP!!!! Excited is a total understatement!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

HSG test showed blocked tubes

Today I had my 1st HSG test and it showed that my right tube is basically nonexistent for some unexplained reason and my left tube is hydro. I have heard stories of women crying when they hear this news and thought, "not me" but sure enough, after the exam I was in the changing room in tears. It is such a disappointment. I'm kind of hoping I'll be one of those women whose tubes are opened after the test. My RE says IVF is the only option but, I'm wondering if there are any other options. I'm lucky because my insurance completely covers IVF but, I was told I need to have laparoscopic surgery to remove the hydro before I undergo the treatment. I really would like a more holistic approach. Anyone out there have any ideas? I've heard the Chinese medicine has worked for some. I just don't want to lose my tubes if there is an alternative.

2. Advertisement

mjf
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no experience with the hydrosalpinx tube. But, for the other one, at what point did the blockage occur? Was it just at the opening of the tube?

I had HSG in February which showed by tubes blocked, bilateral cornual occlusion. The RE said there was 30% chance of the blockage simply being a muscle spasm. Turns out it was, at least on one side, because I got pregnant that same cycle, and twice more since then (that was after 12 months of very well timed intercourse, but no pregnancy).

If it is blocked in that area, then could be the same chance for you. But, there is also a procedure called a tubal cannulation, that can be used to unplug that area. I was actually waiting for my next cycle to start so I could schedule that procedure when I got pregnant.

My RE wasn't familiar with that procedure though, an was going to try to unblock them the old fashioned way. However, I requested that procedure and turns out, a Dr. in the same fertility center could do it! Surprised me how different two Dr's could be in the same practice.

Hope that helps a little

Mel

KittyGal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baby4cece,

I have been in the exact position you have been. I also had blocked tubes, they were stacked with scar tissue and sperm could not make it through. No way to get rid
    of scar tissue, very painful and most of time it grows back. My only option was IVF and I can see why that was the case. My doc sd the surgery would not be worth it for me.

If you talk to your insurance and doc talks to them, they may override it and approve IVF. It was possible with me. **preg mentioned** I was able to conceive after 2 IVF attempts for 1st child and
    conceive again after 2 attempts with IVF. I never had any surgeries.

It is possible!

Baby4Cece

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Sorry so late answering. Congrats on your success!!! I have decided to go through with the surgery. A bit nervous because it is so permanent, but I think it's my best option. Hopefully, everything goes well and I can start my IVF soon!
    Likes SC-Impatient_in_VA liked this post

PrairieSmoke
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baby4Cece,

I had hydro in both tubes. I had Laparoscopy done in February. Going in, they didn't know what they were going to find due to a large chance of major scar tissue/adhesions from a childhood appendectomy. I told myself, even if they had to remove my tubes, they obviously weren't doing me any good for over a year any way. It is just one less thing to worry about interfering with IVF. (They ended up clearing away adhesions and left my tubes, which still haven't done me any good. I am not pursuing IVF though.)

When is your surgery, do you have it scheduled? If you have questions about it, let me know.

-D

Baby4Cece

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Hi PrairieSmoke! I had surgery yesterday. I had a lot of scarring too. They cut away all of it, and cut out portions of each tube but, didn't fully remove them. I'm still not sure why they didn't just remove them cosidering they are of no use at all now but, that's another issue. I asked about just clearing my tubes, but that wasn't an option for me. I'm really wondering when I will be able to walk upright again, the soreness is a little difficult. I always have so much going on it's real hard for me to have to just lay around and take it easy. (My husband goes through a panic attack when he sees me trying to get up on my own, lol!)

I'm sending you baby dust! It's awesome you can do the natural route. Would you ever try IVF? I'm not sure when I will be able to start, but hopefully by December or January we will get the okay!

PrairieSmoke
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad your surgery went well!

It took me a couple days to feel like getting up. I finally figured out the pain meds were making me sick, not just surgery and anesthesia. Then, even when I thought I was good to get up and try a normal day, I would be exhausted after getting dressed and eating breakfast and go back to bed. My body was tired from laying in bed, but being upright was hard too! About 4-5 days after I think I was doing mostly normal tasks, just slow. Housework definitely wasn't on my to-do list!!

Since February we have not have luck and we are deciding that for now we are done trying. Maybe several years down the road we may change our minds?? I am going for my first HSG on Monday, I am a little nervous about that, but I am sure it will be nothing compared to surgery! I didn't ever have one before because my hydro was so bad they could see it on an ultrasound. Between seeing that and me having pain, we skipped the HSG and went straight to surgery. I am having the HSG done now, just to know how things are looking after surgery, see if the tubes have healed and stayed open. If they are good, then we will maybe try again later in life. If they are bad, then I will have closure.

I would not try IVF because we don't have enough coverage and we are happy as we are.

Wishes for fast recovery and baby dust to you!!
    -D

SC-Impatient_in_VA
    *ments* Baby pic in album
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Now that the yucky tubes are gone you have an awesome shot with IVF. Hydro tubes are just no good, they leak a bad fluid onto the embies (as I'm sure you were told) and even when they don't, with IVF it's possible to shoot the embies up into the tubes and in damaged tubes they don't fall back down, and you wind up with ectopic IVF. (That's still possible for anyone, with IVF, even with perfect tubes, but is a bigger risk with damaged tubes.)

I know it must be hard losing your tubes, but they really weren't doing you any good. Like tonsils or an appendix, they were a trip to the ER waiting to happen. And now you have a GREAT shot with IVF

Try a heating pad for the soreness, or a hot water bottle. Best of luck!