FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Saline U/S vs. hysteroscopy--what is for what?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ampreg07
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Saline U/S vs. hysteroscopy--what is for what?

Hi,

Was wondering...as this is our last attempt at an FET. We discovered finally, the main cause of our IF is elevated Nat Killer cell activity. But I had excruciating painful menstrual cramps, much of my late teens and early 20's and wonder if I could have adhesions left behind or scarring from endo. My obgyn said an HSG would pick up any scarring that contributes to implantation problems and my RE really only wants to do a saline u/s. But this is our very last time, and I dont want to MISS any abnormality. Ive had two d & c's and the last baby was a chemical , after a blighted ovum and another previous pregnancy lost at 8 weeks after seeing the heartbeat. Any info on this welcome...want to be sure we covered everything. What and where will the hysteroscopy go and look at?
    Ann

2. Advertisement

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    If you don't want to miss anything, try a 3D u/s - that's what DX'd the thick tissue at the top of my uterus. Multiple HSGs, SHGs and hysteroscopies didn't. GL

(That wasn't our main cause either; just another base to cover...)

ampreg07
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Wow thats interesting...would an Obgyn be able to do a 3 D ultrasound? As my RE doesnt take any of my insurance..its all out of pocket. I actually have not been diagnosed with endo...but I always wondered if I had it..at some point due to the horrid pains I used to have in my younger years...once I had to get morphine at the student health center..to get thru my day at college...due to the cramps..

Ann

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    Probably not. It was a top nationwide RE that did my 3D u/s. My other REs didn't do it. I had horrible cramps from onset of menses; I never had endo. Albeit my cramps weren't so severe as to require morphine, but it was horrible hours of diarrhea and sitting with heating pads. After my 1st mc the cramps almost went away (flow changed also)! After my 3rd mc they came back. After my 4th they went away again. Whatever. Still after 8 yrs IF/RPL and success; I still think our difficulty was mostly "bad luck". Because I did genetic testing I know that our best graded embryos were abnormal and our worst-graded embryos were normal --- irregardless of my uterine status. So we skipped a lot of heartache by transferring our "worst" embryos. For those people who don't test (most), I encourage them to try, try again ... because sometimes the best are saved for last.

mdvmd
    has no status.
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised someone did ivf on you without evaluating your tubes and uterine cavity. Tubal disease is a HUGE factor in implantation, even during ivf or fet. I would definitely have at least an hsg. Saline ultrasounds have never been sensitive enough for me...
    dss 16, dsd 15
    DS 10/05
    DS 11/09
    DD 7/12
    GRAND FINALE due 4/21/13!!
    b/d 1-21-05
    "A person's a person, no matter how small" Dr. Seuss
    12/03 & 10/08

ampreg07
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thanks..ladies for responding...it seems like there so needs to be a demand in better thorough comprehensive testing/assessment...as I ve heard so many different stories of what and which RE's will do what..to discover your IF. For me its for sure not a tubal thing...as we used donor embryos last two m/c so that's a mute point. Wierd..TTC as you mentioned..why do we have to have stellar only certain RE's use 3 D ultrasounds...and no one else? Im asking my new RE for his thoughts and then my obgyn will do the hysto...as thats the only way insurance will cover it...what a racket..I still think IF clinics need to be regulated or something...its at the whim or convenience..of who wants "to do what"...ugh..
    Ann

SC-Impatient_in_VA
    *ments* Baby pic in album
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    ampreg, if this is really your last shot, you should try SIRM or CCRM for your last go, even if you're using donor embies. They will be able to do ALL the testing (either center I think) and give you the absolute best information.

I wish you the best of luck.