FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
HSG Today - Both Tubes Blocked

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    corbi238
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

HSG Today - Both Tubes Blocked

Hi, I just had my HSG today and the doctor said both my tubes were blocked. I have to go in next week for an ultrasound and to discuss my options. From everyone's experience...what are my chances of the tubes being un-blocked and conceiving naturally? And if not, then can I still do IVF?

Help please....I feel very helpless after hearing this news.

2. Advertisement

Jody24
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had an HSG and was told that both my tubes were completely blocked. I was devastated and we knew our only option was IVF. So we traveled 3hrs(his success rates were better then the one i was seeing) and spent $450 (no insurance for IVF just IUI)for a consult to talk to a great RE about IVF. He suggested that my tubes had probably just spasmed and to have my OB refer me to a different local RE to have a laparoscopy done. Well my new local RE did a Lap and found my tubes were completely open and he removed a small amount of endo. I ended up doing IUI and getting pregnant my first cycle. So that $450 bucks for the 2nd opinion was the best money I ever spent and it saved us from IVF and the 15k loan I was in the process of getting. So I would suggest to get another opinion and have a Lap done. It may turn out they are open and were just spasming like mine.
    Me(26) DH(28)
    Married 2006
    Mild Endo
    12/5/09- HSG- told tubes were blocked
    2/8/10- Lap- tubes not blocked! Endo removed
    IUI #1- 4/12/10- Follisitim (75/100 IU) and ovidrel 2-3 mature follies = BFP!
    Beta #1- 14dpiui- 114
    Beta #2- 16dpiui- 315
    Beta #3- 18dpiui- 783
    Beta #4- 21dpiui- 2356
    5/12- U/S 117
    EDD- 01/03/11 - It's a Boy!!
    12/21/10- Evan James Is Here!

lwurn (Board Sponsor)
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Opening Blocked Fallopian Tubes, then Becoming Pregnant Naturally

Hi corbi238,

Tubes can be opened without surgery. Once opened, they work again in most cases according to a recently published study. You may want to check out this video ().

You can also download a free chapter from the book Miracle Moms. That chapter gives quite a few stories from women who had totally blocked fallopian tubes, then went on to conceive naturally after receiving a natural hands-on physical therapy.

The therapy has been quite effective. It is endorsed by doctors at Harvard, Columbia and Northwestern Medical Schools. You can access the scientific study about this work by clicking here.

Larry Wurn
    Director of Clinical Research
    Clear Passage Physical Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by corbi238 View Post
    Hi, I just had my HSG today and the doctor said both my tubes were blocked. I have to go in next week for an ultrasound and to discuss my options. From everyone's experience...what are my chances of the tubes being un-blocked and conceiving naturally? And if not, then can I still do IVF?

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    Have doctors, don't need tubes!

If tubes are moderately blocked or more, I'd say bypass them: IVF. If there is a minor blockage and the chance of an ectopic were low afterwards, I'd say remove it. I had a tube which showed blocked, then open, then blocked. To make myself feel better I concluded that it spasmed and the RE didn't object so I didn't pursue it (the other tube was open). Well, ends up the tube was blocked 0.5 cm from the uterus: open enough to let by a sperm, but closed enough to catch the embryo. I lost the babe, my tube and almost myself. I wonder if I had pursued treatment if it would have been better, but who's to say. Even though I still have one open tube I chose IVF to hopefully compensate for some of the unexplained factors that had made our journey unhappy up until now.

I am sorry for your shock. At least gives you a direction to focus for a plan. I find that plans provide relief.

~S

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is shocking to find out but IVF is a good option. I had the same issue and removed the tubes and did IVF. Best of luck. I didn't have insurance coverage I just got very creative and determined to figure it out.
    I have 3 boys (5,3,1) so don't give up hope.

Claire C.
    smile
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if your tubes are blocked, IVF is a very viable option. Just wondering if you are seeing your OBGYN or an RE? Either way, just wondering if your dr. has seen the films or only the radiology report. I know many RE's like to actually see the films themselves and may have more info to interpret. Sometimes they can tell if it appears that it could have been a spasm or like someone else mentioned, it a tube appears damaged as well as blocked. If there is damage or something called a hydrosalpinx, they may recommend surgery to remove that damaged area because it could increase your chances of an ectopic even if doing IVF. I'm sure it will help next week when you go in to discuss your options. Just wanted to ask a few questions to see if any of this might help. Good luck and keep us updated!

babedow77
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Angry
    TTCYBears:
    ARe you using an ivf clinic in colorado?
    If so, do you mind sharing the info?

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    babedow77, I'll send you a PM.

jamaica
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

I am late to this thread, but I just wanted to tell you, corbi238, that you should try to get them unblocked by an intrusive HSG before you go to IVF. It is worth a try. With a blocked tube and one removed from an ectopic, I did IVF unsuccessfully twice because I didn't know about the intrusive HSG procedure, and lots of IVF docs would rather us pay the $16K+ for an IVF cycle. The procedure cost $1100, and I had it done by Dr. Lipman in Atlanta. I was referred to him by my GYN AFTER she took my thousands of dollars for 2 IVF cycles. It can and does work!!!
    Nat. Preg 3/2009, 37 yrs old.
    Ectopic, 1 tube removed

IVF #1. BFN 3/2010 11 ret, 6 fert, 3 xferred, 2 frozen. BCP, Lupron, Menopur, Estriadol, progesterone.
    FET #1, 38 yrs. 8cell + 1 4cell 9/15/2010
    Lupron, BCP, Estriadol, Heparin, Baby Aspirin, Prednisone, PIO, P-supp, Bromochriptine.
    BETA 9/2010 <6 B.F.F.N
    2/2011, Tube unblocked through intrusive HSG.

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jamaica are there scaring risks with the unblocking? I would think there might be some? Hopefully this works for you. What clinic were you going to in Atlanta? I live here and am also Jamaican. Same history ectopic and had multiple more ectopics in the other tube. IVF worked for me 3 times. Had they ever checked to see if the blocked tube was hydro during your IVF cycles?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast