FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Asherman's?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    MamaRath
    is anxious.

Post Thanks / Like

Asherman's?

A little history - I have had 5 miscarriages. The first one was "natural", the second was a chemical, third was a missed m/c followed by a D&C, fourth was another chemical and fifth was another missed m/c and D&C.

The last D&C was on 8/13. That's 16 weeks ago today. In September and October I monitored myself with ovulation predictor tests, and received negatives, followed by 2 days of positives, and then they would go back to negative. Two weeks later, when I would expect my period, I would have some cramping and then nothing. In October I had the cramping and back pain, followed by about a half day of brown spotting, and then nothing.

I am beginning to fear Asherman's. I talked to the nurse at my RE's office, who said they would prescribe provera to kick start my period. But I had to have my blood drawn first. HCG and progesterone. The results said my progesterone was 9.1, so they think I have recently ovulated and my period should come soon. Yeah, well, considering the past few months I'm not sure that's going to happen.

They told me they can't give me provera since I recently ovulated, that would just make things worse. So I have to wait another week and then they will retest. I am supposed to have an HSG after my period returns, but if I have Asherman's and scar tissue is blocking the opening to the uterus, it could be that the blood cannot get out. After going back and forth a few times, my doctor admitted Asherman's was "possible but unlikely" and now I have to wait another week and if my period still hasn't started, we will go ahead and do the HSG anyway.

I know I kind of just have to wait but I'm on pins and needles so I wondered if anyone had any information, or a similar experience, and what the outcome was? We are planning to move on to IUI in the new year if everything turns out okay, but right now I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

2. Advertisement

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    If you are concerned about Ashermann's I believe a hysteroscopy would readily confirm or deny your concerns. Can you afford one?

I had unexplained losses. Then (after 7 years of testing!!!!!!!!) a new RE did a 3D u/s and said the top of my uterus was thick (fundal septum) ---- something DX'd only with a 3D u/s, not readily seen by my many prevsiou u/s, SHG, HSG, hysterscopy, or laparoscopy. Ah well, better now than never I guess. I had up to 1 cm of "hostile" tissue removed from the top of my uterus. Septum removals have great success rates after correction, but as my RE explained to me, REs just aren't very good at identifying them. My septum was mild to moderate so it probably explains some of my losses, but not all. Sigh. Try, try again.

Also, one of those miracle stories, but I had a friend with Ashermann's which was over 90% of her uterus and treatment wasn't reasonable. Well, one babe found that less than 10% location and was born healthy.

I am sorry for your losses. I wish you a viable pg sooner than later.

~S

MamaRath
    is anxious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cost isn't a factor right now (something I don't get to say often) as we had a high deductible plan and we met the deductible with my D&C so insurance covers 100%. Of course this is only through the end of the year, so timing now is really everything. I wonder why the hysteroscopy wasn't suggested by either the doctor or the nurse? When I contact them on Tuesday (to let them know my period hasn't returned, as I assume it won't and it's Saturday already) I will ask about that. I need to do the HSG regardless as well, do you think it would be possible to get both done before the end of the year? Or is this kind of an either/or? I am not concerned about any kind of blockage, as getting pregnant has never been an issue and I know they use HSG to look for that. So if we're looking for problems specifically with the lining of the uterus, scarring, fibroids, etc, the hysteroscopy should be able to give us the information we need?

Thank you for this information, I can't wait to hear what the RE's office thinks of doing this, as it shouldn't interfere with my cycle that hasn't returned and the blood tests show I'm not pregnant. I can't imagine a reason not to do it.

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    Aalthough in retrospect the hysteroscopy showed indications of my septum, it was the 3D u/s that DX'd it. I think most docs do these tests around CD7 or so. I missed getting scheduled one time which delayed my FET, but the other times I didn't have a problem.

FX for us.

MamaRath
    is anxious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update....AF officially arrived on Monday. Nothing like getting all worked and telling the nurse nothing is happening and it's time to take some action in order to be proven wrong. But that's okay, I like to be wrong in situations like this.

I have scheduled an HSG for next Monday and if everything looks good we are going to do an IUI with injectibles in January.

Thank you for your input Sharon, I wish you the very best of luck in your journey!