FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Pregnant after salpingostomy??? Anyone?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DanaS
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pregnant after salpingostomy??? Anyone?

I have distal bilateral hydrosalpinges and am hoping to have a salpingostomy in the next 4 months or so. I know all of the details invovled with the procedure and my doctor said on my right side he could still see some ridges and folds the tube should naturally have instead of looking like a mini sausage (my left side looks like a mini-sausage though). I am looking for women that have actually gotten preggo after their salpingostomys and did NOT have to go on to salpingectomys with IVF.

I appreciate all of your answers.

Thank you,
    Dana

2. Advertisement

nancydrew
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will also be going in for a salpingostomy soon. I would love to hear some success stories!
    My story:
    Ruptured ectopic -- left tube lost
    Second ectopic -- right tube saved
    IVF #1 -- fail

CMR1012
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    The lack of response isnt very encouraging... Im getting my surgery this month... We have decided that if it is considered "sucessfull" we are going to begin IUI as soon as possible following the surgery... Good luck you ladies!!

Salina_C10
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a salpingostomy for badly scarred bi lateral hydrosalpinges. This was in 1999. I did several rounds of IUI that did not work and then I got pregnant spontaneously in 2008. The pregnancy made it to 10 weeks. I just had an HSG test done today ( April 5th 2010) and they are blocked. So I got pregnant somehow with blocked tubes almost 2 years ago. So it's possible I guess. It just took me 9 years to do it. The loss had nothing to do with the tubes. So hopefully this will provide some insight.

xoxo
    Salina

terracota
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Nov 2009 I had a salpingectomy (the tube is completely removed) due to hydrosalpinx on my right tube. I now only have one tube, but in late January this year we found out we're pregnant, naturally! I am now 14-weeks long.

Initially I was so determined to have salpingostomy (repairing the tube, instead of removing it completely) because I do not want to be left with only one tube. However the surgeon saw during the surgery that the internal cilias (soft hair in the internal lining of the tube) were all damaged. So there was no point to repair the tube. He then performed salpingectomy. Good decision I guess. Hydrosalpinx is basically an infection happens in the tube; the tube is filled with liquid that is toxic to the uterus. Implantation will be hard to happen in a toxic environment. If the hydrosalpinx is already severe, the best way is to remove the tube.

My salpingectomy was performed by Dr. Gary Berger (Tubal Ligation Reversal by Dr. Berger). He is great surgeon who specializes in tubal reversal and has performed thousands of successful tubal surgeries. He is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. We drove there from DC. My suggestion is to contact him and send your HSG xray so that he can review whether your tube is repairable. He would not charge you anything for reviewing an HSG xray. The surgery itself is not cheap though, it cost me $7,000 but it is worth it, it gave me a pregnancy.

I also had acupuncture treatments after the surgery. It did help a lot. In case you are interested, I received treatments from Amelia Hirota, a great acupuncturist in Rhode Island (www.the-fertility-acupunturist.com).

Good luck to you,
    Ira
    Last edited by terracota; 04-06-2010 at 09:13 PM.

terracota
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Pregnant naturally after the right tube removed

Quote Originally Posted by BC-InfantryWife627 View Post
    The lack of response isnt very encouraging... Im getting my surgery this month... We have decided that if it is considered "sucessfull" we are going to begin IUI as soon as possible following the surgery... Good luck you ladies!!
    Hi BC-InfantryWife627, I don't mean to be anti IUI or IVF but I got pregnant naturally with only one tube two months after my right tube removed due to hydrosalpinx. My acupunturist that I consulted with after surgery convinced me that a woman can get pregnant with one healthy tube. It may just take a month or two longer compared to women with two healthy tubes. Just something to consider. See my complete story on this thread.

terracota
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    BC-InfantryWife627,
    Please disregard my suggestion about getting pregnant naturally with one tube. I apologize, I just realized from your other post that you have hydrosalpinx on both tubes. But who knows, if the hydrosalpinx is not severe, the doctor may be able to repair the tubes instead of removing them. Good luck with the surgery; you are in my prayer.

CMR1012
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Hey ladies! thanks for the responses. I actually just got back from seeing Dr. Mark Bush at Conceptions in Denver, CO and ladies i have heard some amazing stories. He did another u/s and looked alot at my tubes. looks like only ONE has an actual static hydro i think is what he called it. Meaning it does have fluid in it. He said that tube would have to go. The other is blocked but he says he can open it. He says my chances with natural pregnancy are very low b/c of that and an ectopic very high with natural OR IVF. With that said, He and i decided my most succesfull option is bye -bye tubes hello IVF. He thinks since I am young- and everything else is good, that i have about an 80-90% chance of IVF working! That was very encouraging... and after seeing 4 different RE/OBs I think I finally believe them that this is my best option!

crimson.heart
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I'm new to the site. I was diagnosed with a ruptured ectopic pregnancy in February. They had to operate and remove my right tube completely, so I have one tube left which the doc had to repair. It was folded over and "stuck". We've been trying again since and nothing has happened yet.

Hugs to you, I guess I'm also wanting to find out about other options. If nothing happens for us by the end of the year, we will seek help. I'm 28 this year.

nancydrew
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My salpingostomy was not a success. Basically the surgeon cleaned up all the scar tissue and determined that it was not repairable.

(My blockage was due to previous ectopic pregnancy.)

On to IVF we go...
    My story:
    Ruptured ectopic -- left tube lost
    Second ectopic -- right tube saved
    IVF #1 -- fail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast