FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Surgery to repair uterine septum?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jsims427
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Surgery to repair uterine septum?

Has anyone been diagnosed as having a uterine septum and then undergone surgery to repair it (the procedure is called a metroplasty)? If so, what was the outcome?

I am having lap/hysteroscopy next week. My doctor thinks I may have a uterine septum and depending on how big it is, may perform a metroplasty. I am of course terrified and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Thank you.

2. Advertisement

lwurn (Board Sponsor)
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Uterine septum repair

We had one patient who had this surgery. She technically had a bicornuate uterus (the septum divided her uterus into two parts, which made it heart shaped.) While the surgery was able to remove most of the septum, she developed near-total fallopian tube blockage afterwards, presumably from the adhesions that formed after the surgery.

Her physician told her that, due to the adhesions and tubal blockage, she would never conceive naturally. She came to us to decrease the adhesions at her uterus and tubes. Despite her physician's diagnosis, the therapy apparently helped. She has now had three natural pregnancies (all with healthy births) since the surgery and subsequent physical therapy.

Hope this helps.

Larry Wurn
    Director of Clinical Studies
    Clear Passage Therapies

busta21
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there!
    You've probably had your procedure by now...hope it went well. I just had a lap and hysteroscopy 6 days ago. They found that I had an intrauterine septum, and they removed it. I was just wondering how things are going for you? I am still waiting to fully recover so we can start trying again...but now I'm a little nervous about scar tissue building up
    I've been reading a lot about ttc after removal of septum...the odds are pretty good if there's no other issues.
    Good luck

jsims427
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad you found my post. My surgery went well. I was worried about the metroplasty as well - scar tissue. But my RE, my dad (who was an OBGYN) and my OBGYN who will deliver me the next time I'm pregnant all said it was a good idea and I should have no problems. If done properly, you really shouldn't get scar tissue. Now your uterine lining may not ever be the exact same in the spot where the septum was removed but excessive scar tissue shouldn't be a problem at all. My RE put me on estrogen and progesterone for 3 weeks after the surgery to build my lining back up. My period came back on time and normal and my cycles have continued to be normal. We were cleared to try again in March (2 cycles afer surgery) and weren't successful b/c I only have my left tube now (the right was ligated during my surgery) and the follicles were on the right side. We are moving to IVF b/c we don't want to waste any more time. The metroplasty is a good thing b/c it maximizes the size of your uterus, as well as blood flow to that area. I had a terrible outcome to a twin pregnancy last April - not that the septum (which was very small) was the cause, but its removal will only help not hurt a future pregnancy.

Good luck to you. You should be fine. Let me know if you have any more questions.

*melusine*
    FET 02/15/2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    I got my septum and both tubes removed 2 weeks ago... planning to start IVF soon (fingers crossed)