FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Hysteroscopy - value, risks, alternatives?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful

Hysteroscopy - value, risks, alternatives?

Is there an alternative to hysteroscopy or is it "worth" its risks?

Something less evasive that would be similar? An SHG, or MRI or CT scan or some new imaging? Or, is the risk of scarring from it very minimal? Anybody done the research or asked their doctor?

I'm worried that I've had so many procedures that are invasive to the cervix: D&C(1), HSG(3) and to come: IVF retrievals, practice transfers and transfers.

Other Background: In 2004, I had two early mcs (1 D&C). In 2006, I had a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy that were "all clear": no endo, no scarring, etc. In 2008, I had emergency abdominal surgery for an ectopic pg (post-surgery I had discomfort on that side, but it's subsided over the years). This year 2009, I had a chemical pg (assumedly conceived in my remaining tube which showed "wide open" post-surgery).

~Sharon

2. Advertisement

Blondie8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Previous loss mentioned and L/C mentioned, please don't read if it might upset you

Post loss at 22 wks, I had an HSG that was completely normal, then went on to have 2 more (first trimester) m/c's. Every other test (Ultrasounds, CT, HSG with dye contrast, blood work) I had was normal, showed no issues whatsoever. My Doc specializing in recurrent loss insisted on a hysteroscopy and low and behold, there was many tissue filaments and scar tissue within the lining on the uterus. I had three laser procedures and then went on to have two term healthy pregnancies. Without the hystero I would have continued with implantation and uterus development issues so for me, it was the best thing that I could have done. In my case, none of the other tests showed anything and unless you have a confirmed OK uterus (from the position of healthy tissue) there's not much point in going through all the rest.

I totally hear you on the concerns about medical procedures. Everything is so invasive and at the end when you're left with your arms still empty it becomes too much to bear. Insofar as invasiveness, my cervix dilates easily with no scar tissue around it so there was no negative impact on the cervix itself. I did have other diagnostic imaging which again showed nothing but according my Doc, the hysteroscopy was the gold standard for identifying tissue/scarring issues.
    “Children don’t belong to us. They are litle strangers who arrive in our lives and give us the pleasure and duty of caring for them–but we don’t own them. We help them become who they are.” Gloria Steinem

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    Thanks, Blondie! It's very informative to me that you had the CT scan also and it didn't show anything. And that you have your lovely children in large part because of the hysteroscopy. Yea!!!!!

Thank you for response! and understanding of my concerns.

~S

barren-bipolar
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    All my other tests were clear. My hysteroscopy yesterday showed scarring. I would never have known without it. (Had previously done a pelvic MRI with and without contrast and it showed nothing)

me (35) DH (51), TTC #1
    low ovarian reserve (AMH .39, FSH 11), hypothyroid, egg quality issues, multiple clotting problems,
    uterine scarring (removed), 2 fibroids (still there), chronic endometritis, cervical stenosis
    (2009) 4 IUI failures and 3 IVF failures all in one year
    (2010) 4th IVF BFN in May, 5th IVF BFN in July