FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Help! Hydrosalpinx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    katiex
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Help! Hydrosalpinx

Hi ok basically I was admitted to hospital with terrible pains on my right side. The pain wore off the next day, the dr said he thought it could be a cyst that had burst and they did a scan, after which the dr said that it had shown some fluid in my right tube but as it's not causing me pain anymore I can go home and come back in two months for another scan to check if the fluid is still there. He said it in such a casual manner that I just thought oh right thats fine, nothing to worry about. I have since got my report from the hospital which states diagnosis of hydrosalpinx (also it said a fibroid showed on the scan too), I have now been researching this on the internet only to discover how serious this is!!

I'm 22 and not thinking about children at all at the moment but I definitely want children in the future, is there any hope for me?? please help I'm so worried!

I don't know if this is at all relevant but I used to have really painless periods and then the past year they started to get really painful, I have just had my first period since being in hosiptal and it was just like they used to be, I hardly had any pain. Could this have anything to do with the pain I went to hospital for?

2. Advertisement

rjc0704
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fibroid is no big deal. If it is big enough, they may want to remove it, but it won't impact your fertility.

However, hydrosalphinx does. The fluid in the tube can drastically reduce success rates in both natural and IUI/IVF cycles. It is toxic to the lining, embryo, and if it is severe enough to be seen on as u/s or HSG, then it should be treated. It can reduce success rates 50%

Not only does it cause infertility, in most cases it is the leading factor in chemicals, ectopics, and early m/c. ALL of which I've had. If you only have it one tube, even they have to remove it, you still have nearly uneffected chances of conceiving with just one tube. However, it could eventually happen to the other tube as well. There is just no way to know for sure.

Sorry for the bad news. It is worth researching and being your own advocate. In some cases, if mild enough, they put a little hole in the tube for the fluid to drain outward instead of into the uterus and save your tube altogether. Good luck!
    Rhonda & DH
    3 chemicals 2005>2008
    3 Fresh DE-IVF - BFN BFN BFN
    FETs
    DE/Surrogate cycle #1 - BFP!!! 19dpo beta 2049! TWINS!!! Healthy Boy/Girl born Oct 2011
    FET Scheduled on June 4 2012

Janet0818
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep an eye on the fibroids as well. It depends where they are and how big they are in whether or not they will affect feritility. You are a step ahead of most people, though, in that you know about these issues prior to TTC.

Good luck!

P.S. I had two huge fibroids in my uterus (had them removed), and a septum (had it removed) and was able to conceive and am the very proud mom of a two year old daughter! (Also had a hydrosalpinx!)

CMR1012
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired

Hydrosalphinx

O have the same thing- I think. I got an HSG done back in june, radiologist said that both tubes were blocked with scar tissue, i went back to my military OB, who said the same after looking at the results. Telling me that it could easily be fixed by a laproscopy. Referred me to an army doctor (they have limited OB procedures where i go.) So i went to this army doctor FINALLY about a month ago and he says that I have a hydrosalphinx. I am concerned about who gave me the correct diagnosis, because he says that i need to remove both tubes to have IVF.

I am frustrated at the fact that two doctors told me that it was just scar tissue and it was repairable, and then i get to the doctor whos supposed to do the procedure and he rocks my world with a different diagnosis.

I go back friday to my original OB, and I plan to express my concerns to her.
    Any advice? I am 23 years old, my DH is 29, I cannot believe this is happening to us!

Quote Originally Posted by rjc0704 View Post
    The fibroid is no big deal. If it is big enough, they may want to remove it, but it won't impact your fertility.

However, hydrosalphinx does. The fluid in the tube can drastically reduce success rates in both natural and IUI/IVF cycles. It is toxic to the lining, embryo, and if it is severe enough to be seen on as u/s or HSG, then it should be treated. It can reduce success rates 50%

Not only does it cause infertility, in most cases it is the leading factor in chemicals, ectopics, and early m/c. ALL of which I've had. If you only have it one tube, even they have to remove it, you still have nearly uneffected chances of conceiving with just one tube. However, it could eventually happen to the other tube as well. There is just no way to know for sure.

Sorry for the bad news. It is worth researching and being your own advocate. In some cases, if mild enough, they put a little hole in the tube for the fluid to drain outward instead of into the uterus and save your tube altogether. Good luck!

CMR1012
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    What did they do about the hydro? Did you have it in both? Im trying to be my own advocate, but Im stuck with military doctors that would rather get be back on duty that help my husband and I create a family.

Wifey25
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How to Treat Hydrosalpinx

Hi I'm 25 years old and we are just begining looking into IVF for hydrosalpinx. There are options like a salpingectomy which is tubal removal or tubal ligation getting your tubes tied or this essure coil to plug your tubes. It has been left up to me to decide which procedure to go through. I don't know what to do it all seems so evasive so I know what your going through. I'm scared...but it is the only way for us to have children because even if you get pregnant with hydro tubes chance of MC is high.

I hope this helps, any advice for me?

egirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Dr. Camran Nezhat in Palo Alto, CA before making any decisions. He's done miracles for many women who haven't been able to get pregnant due to endo, fibroids, and bad tubes.
    Linda

2 IUI, 10 IVFs, 1 FET. In all, 30 embryos transferred, not a single BFP.
    Stage 4 endo, fallopian tubes destroyed/removed.
    MTHFR hetero, elevated NKs, NKUs, cytokines.
    Moving onto GS using my own eggs in 2011/2012.

CMR1012
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Wifey-
    Thanks those are all the same things that my military doctor and now my civilian OB and RE have told me. I am scheduled to get them removed now that i have 4 seperate opinions telling me theyre worthless.... So I am ready to get those bad boys out and move on with this journey! We are saving up to hopefully do a cycle in April. But we will see how that goes, I am extremely impatient now that I have an answer... 3 years and now we know why... Almost, makes it harder!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and keep in contact.. Its nice to talk to somebody that is beginning this crazy journey and is young like I am.

kindhiker
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just m/c from my 2nd ivf. I have gotten bfp both times. I have pain all the time on the side that has a remaining scarred tube. I just had an ultrasound and they said my tube looks fine. My hsg was dec 31 of last year. So I'm starting to wonder that even if it's not showing on the scan maybe somethings up with it. So I'll be insisting that they really check it out before trying ivf again.

wifey- make sure that whatever you decide to do with your tubes doesn't mess up your insurance. I know that my insurance won't cover ivf after tubal ligation. But it might be different if it's to help your fertility. I think that as crazy as ut sounds it might be worth looking into.
    TTC since 07/07
    ectopic ruptered at 7wks 8/08
    IVF#1 4/09 bfp-chemical
    IVF#2 9/09 bfp-miscarriage at 6wks
    lap 11/09 removed remaining left tube and lots of adhesions
    FET 4/16/10 bfn
    IVF #3 July 2010 bfn again

CMR1012
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    I am so sorry to hear about your m/c we had one last year and it was quite a disapointment. Thats the reason we are going to remove my tubes now. I honestly believe they are the reason since i have hydros on both tubes.

shes right about the insurance thing- lucky for me i dont have anything but tricare and they dont cover it regardless!!