FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    deni3282
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Trigger Shot Did Not Work - Advice Please.

Hi all,

I have been away from the boards for about 2 weeks since we found out our first IUI/injectable cycle did not work. I have been hibernating and taking it very hard.

Anyway the facts are that I was taking follistim and I respopnded really well with 7 follies but it appears that the Ovidrel HCG shot that we took to trigger did not work at all. My progestrone measrured 2.6 a week after the shot and subsequent IUI. I was devastated. The RE's office kept asking if we did it right - my DH gave me the shot in the thigh, on the exact day we were supposed to and it was a prefilled syringe (no mixing). I am confused to how if could not work.

Has anyone had any similiar experiences where the trigger shot did not work? Did your doctor give you any answers as to why it did not work? Please help with any advice. I am not on a torture filled month lond break because I have cysts.
    Thank you!

2. Advertisement

MomZ
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry that happened to you. I have not had that happen, that I am aware of. I would keep hounding your Dr to find out for you.
    Julie
    Extreme PCOS, Insulin Resistance
    Wife to Bill~May 10, 1997
    Proud Mom to Zachary~July 18, 2001

Jodi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had this happen to me once. The RE gave me no explanation either, saying the trigger shot always works and he has never heard of it not working. So, I have no answers for you. But I wanted you to know your not the only one...
    Sorry this happened to you, it is very frustrating to say the least.
    Hope it works next time

sweet em
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    deni -

I can't tell you for sure if the trigger worked or not, they didn't test progestrone post trigger for me, my period came after I got a neg beta test and stopped taking the prog. sups. and then when I went for cd2 bw and us there were as many cysts left as there were follies before I triggered, but the doc/nurses didn't say anything about it...just wait until they go away. So i'm not much help unfortunately but i'm interested in what you find.

I'm sorry your cycle failed and that you had such a hard time afterward! Best wishes to you on your next cycle.

deni3282
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Girls thanks for the replies.

My doc said it was evident that the trigger shot did not work because my progestrone tested at 2.6. I am still trying to figure out why and probably unnecesarily driving myself crazy. All of the other Follistim shots worked so why not the trigger.

Oh well - I go back to the doctor next week _ I insisted on an appt because I want to be sure we are ont rack if and hwne I can start the next cycel. Did any of you get put on BCP pills to help the cysts go away. Now, I am paranoid that being on Bcp's for one month will mess me up.

Isn't it ironic that you have to take BCP's when you are tyring so hard to get preg?

Thanks for all advice.

Caligal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Deni..

Just wanted to let you know how sorry I am and sending 's to you! I know it is heartbreaking!

Just to let you know after each cycle that I had so far I ended up having cysts. And yes I have been put on the bcp (pill or patch) It does work! But it is your choice. If I remeber correctly it suppresses your ovaries and makes them quiet, and I believe it sorta cleans them up? Don't know if that makes sense but I was told that once. One month i chose not to be on the bcp...I was going on vacay. (took a 2 month break) How long will you be on the bcp? Usually I am on them for 2 weeks and they are gone and onto the next cycle. I guess it depends on how big your cysts are? Hope that helps a bit? I would also ask your RE about progesterone supplements? I am on them as I have low prog. and my body needs it! I have also heard it is used as a precaution, and your body only uses what it needs and discards the rest. Having too much will not hurt you. But, you may have a good level and it is not needed for you. Just a thought. Good Luck to you! And I hope your cysts go away very fast!
    Me 42 DH 51

Ryan 5/22/08 thru IVF
    Cole 3/23/10 Natural surprise pregnancy

In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities

MarieOz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Deni, this did happen to me once. My doc had me on 5000iu shot of profasi and I didn't trigger. He put me up to 10000iu and I triggered everytime after that. I don't know what strength dose you were on, but some docs only like using 5000iu because he can stop OHSS....

Otherwise, if you did take the full 10000 shot, maybe switching from Ovidrel to profasi. SOmetimes different meds respond better.

Good luck, and I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it is to find out a cycle is busted from the get-go...
    Noels
    #1 (ttc 7yrs, IUI #5) - 'M' 5 yo
    #2 (ttc 2yrs, IUI #12) - 'W' 2 yo
    3 precious angels to m/c - Aug 99 - July 03 - Nov 03
    and 'D' - our nephew - forever our boy. went back to bm Jan 2004
    "Stop trying to compete and compare, and people will respect you"

deni3282
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for your replies.

Cali - I am on the bcp's until Wednesdya when Is ee the doctor about 2.5 weeks. I had some breakthrought bleeding this weekend? Have any of you had that - It scared me b/c I thought it was AF arriving way too early this cycle.

When you are on birth control pills for one month - does the next cycle ususally run smoothly or is your body out of whack. I am so scared that I will have to take a a longer break - I really need for my mental health to start back on treatment. I hate this break. I know, patience, patience, but it is so very hard/

Anyone else on birth control pills and cysts - tell me your story!

Thanks

ke2150
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deni3282
    Anyone else on birth control pills and cysts - tell me your story!

Thanks
    I had a 40 mm cyst in November. I spent two cycles on BCP's and it went away. AF returned normally the following cycle (this one). This month I'm doing Clomid for the first time (with a trigger shot, but not IUI). I'm 2DPO now.

Good luck to you.

--Kori

Devorah217
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting...I had also been told that "you _WILL_ ovulate with these meds" (and now get off the phone and stop bothering me) but obviously that isn't necessarily the case. I wasn't checked for progesterone after either so how would they know? Yet another reason to consider leaving this practice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast