FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Think+++!
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How to distinguish pregnancy cramps from AF cramps

To all you ladies who are or have been pregnant before, will someone PLEASE tell me if there is any difference in how pregnant cramps feel versus AF cramps?

I am 8 dpo and have had some dull, but continuous cramping very low in my abdomen, right in the center since 2dpo - sometimes it's so low it's almost right over my pubic bone. Nothing too painful, but feels like the day or two before AF. I've never paid this much attention to my pms cramps before, but it seems like they are more spread across my lower abdomen rather than concentrated right in the center. I took a hpt this afternoon (I know - way too early but couldn't help it) and it was BFN of course. Anyway, my only other symptoms are sore nipples (not breasts, just nips) and what seems like more than normal whitish/yellowish creamy discharge.

ANY advice or input would be appreciated!

2. Advertisement

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    "........will someone PLEASE tell me if there is any difference in how pregnant cramps feel versus AF cramps? "

The answer is NO!!

Sometimes, looking back we might think yes, there was a difference that cycle, but its probably only because we are so in tune with our bodies that we notice these things more. When we're not ttcing, we don't think about it much.

You can have every symptom in the book, or none at all, and even fell like AF is coming, and still not be sure of BFN or BFP until that beta when the 2ww is over. The 2ww is torture!

Good luck!
    Likes SC-Medicmedic liked this post

Pecan
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think+++, I second wantsababy's response. There is no way to tell the difference. AF symptoms and pgcy symptoms are pretty much the same. You just have to wait on that test. Hang in there,
    Pecan

Think+++!
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both for your replies! I am still so crampy and today even noticed some dull back pain. If I'm not pregnant, AF is going to be awful! I got a call from my doctor today that my day 21 progesterone check came back really good - 17. That is up from 11 the only other time I have ovulated since we started ttc. Every other day 21 check has come back at <1. So, that's progress even if we're not pregnant this time!
    You are right - the 2ww is absolute torture.

Jenniferm
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I am in the 2ww, beta being tomorrow. I have back pain, some mild cramping and CM which has a faint pink tint. I think I am getting AF. I dont know what to do. I know there is nothing to do but wait but is this normal? Maybe I should test. I am 8dp5dt. Is it really too early?

Think+++!
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jenniferm - Does 8dp5dt mean 13 dpo? I tested at 13dpo and got my first positive hpt. It was very faint and I got two darker tests that evening and the next day (14dpo). I had AWFUL cramps - felt just like AF was coming. I did and still do have some back pain. I'm at 21dpo now, or 5 weeks pregnant. I'm not sure about the pink CM - mine was white/yellow, but you could be having some implantation spotting.

egirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Think+++!
    Jenniferm - Does 8dp5dt mean 13 dpo? I tested at 13dpo and got my first positive hpt. It was very faint and I got two darker tests that evening and the next day (14dpo). I had AWFUL cramps - felt just like AF was coming. I did and still do have some back pain. I'm at 21dpo now, or 5 weeks pregnant. I'm not sure about the pink CM - mine was white/yellow, but you could be having some implantation spotting.
    Not exactly. 8dp5dt (8 days past 5 day transfer) means that the eggs were already fertilized during this time span....13 days past ovulation doesn't include time to fertilize, which could be hours, days depending on when sperm were introduced into the uterus? It would be close though. You'd know pretty closey if you did IUI and had the time narrowed down tho.

Linda
    Last edited by egirl; 02-10-2006 at 05:31 PM. Reason: didnt' read post i was replying to clearly enough. woops!

RobinNJ
    is happy
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Fertility drug side effects can vary. If you have cramping while trying to conceive or on a prescription, you might want to check out this article. http://www.fertilityauthority.com/fe...s/side-effects

During the 2ww eormous hormonal changes take place and you might find that you go bathroom more often, due to an increase of hCG. Fatigue, a result of higher levels of progesterone, is common as well. Progesterone also slows down the digestive track and may cause bloating. (Of course, bloating, along with sore breasts, is symptomatic of PMS, only adding to the uncertainty of this two-week period.)

Good luck everyone.
    Likes SC-Medicmedic liked this post

KimAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Hi ladies,

Everything that Robin mentioned is true, but I have to say that because hormones fluctuate similarly in early pregnancy as they do in a regular menstrual cycle, you may not feel ANY different than if AF was about to show.

***SUCCESS MENTIONED***
    When I conceived my twins, first of all I was using cheapie HPTs and kept seeing BFNs, but also I felt ZERO symptoms! The day before my beta, I decided to use a FRER just to be sure and finally got my BFP. Then throughout the first trimester, I felt nothing out of the ordinary (which is scary because you HOPE to feel something to make sure it is really happening!) Second trimester I started getting headaches. Otherwise, no symptoms.
    ***END MENTION***

Keep in mind every woman is different too!

Good luck to all!
    Kim