FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

gemasita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Infertility and appendix bursting

My appendix burst about 5 years ago. I had a really strange case....I didn't have the telltale signs of appendicitis, just a general "icky" feeling for about 10 days and after 3 trips to urgent care, they finally send me to the ER. My body was about to go septic and I was rushed into surgery. The surgery took hours because the surgeon had to take out my organs and clean all of them because there was aparently goo everywhere.

I got married three years ago and my husband and I started TTC last August. We were just getting to the point where we were getting concerned when I started having this abdominal pain along with a fever. "Masses" where found on my ovaries through a CAT scan and I again found myself facing emergency surgery. My GYN said it was a mess in there...lots of adhesions and infection. He took one ovary out because it was so badly infected. He said my tubes were just a wreck and took one out but left the other one in just to not mess with too much but said it was non-functional. So I woke up to the news that we would have to do IVF. I never suspected a fertility issue before this so I was in shock.

I read in one book that tubal issues can be caused by your appendix bursting because all the bacteria inside your appendix spills out onto your reproductive organs. And that it's usually worse on the right side (which mine was). I did suspect that they were related when the doc said I had lot of infection and adhesions in there but other that that, assumed I would never know the cause or maybe it was a fluke.

Now I'm reading on here that many people have tubal issues because of their appendix bursting. How did you guys know that was the cause? Did the doctors mention fertility when your appendices burst?

I guess I am a little bit frustrated because my first surgeon NEVER mentioned my fertility to me after my surgery. My second surgeon, I could tell, didn't want to say one way or another but basically said, "Who knows," and didn't make enough of a deal about it that I thought much more about it until now.

I feel betrayed that no one brought this up to me. It's MY body, ya know? I have a right to know. I do consider myself lucky in so many ways: we only tried for a few months before we found out I had an issue and if I hadn't had reason to have that second surgery, it might have taken us a long time to figure out what was going on. But...it would have been nice if I could have discussed my fertility with my husband before we got married or if we would have known to get checked out before we started trying.

Just wondering what other people's stories are.

Jamie

2. Advertisement

SKR
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jamie,
    I am so sorry that you had to go through all this. We tried to conceive for several years before my OB decided to do exploratory lap just to find out if I had a few adhesions. I had no symptoms and felt great. Dh had no problems either. OB thought maybe I had a couple of adhesions blocking tubes and that he would clean them up and we would be good to go. Well, he had me in surgery for about 10 minutes and came out to tell dh that I had stage 5 adhesions every where. He said I would need major surgery to fix everything.

So one month later, I was in surgery again. He removed my appendix which he said was shot and said that he felt like it was a chronic appendicitis that had gone undiagnosed. Both of my tubes were clubbed and blocked...even stuck down on top of my ureter and bladder. I was under for about 4 hours.

I did manage to get pregnant naturally a couple of months later but sadly it ended in a tubal pregnancy (which he had told me I would be high risk for) and I lost my right tube. During the removal of the ectopic pregnancy he said that my left tube was already blocked again. After 4 fresh ivf's it was found that I had a hydro in left tube and it was removed. Finally on ivf #5 we got a BFP. You can have a happy ending after all of this. Just keep the Faith! Good luck to you. Shanna
    Me 31, DH 31
    DX: Tubal Factor
    IVF #1: May 2002 Failed
    FET #1: June 2002 Failed
    IVF #2: August 2002 Failed
    IVF #3: January 2003...

Sunnie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I had my appendix perforate and abcess when I was 11; they didn't take it out until 3 weeks later and it was a mess (the appendix wasn't even really "there" anymore). Nobody mentioned potential fertility issues to my parents.

Fast forward to a couple years ago; My DH and I had been TTC for 2 years with no luck. We thought it was MF, but one day I had this flash of insight that my appendix had done something to my insides and I just KNEW that was the problem.

I had an HSG done which was read as "normal" by the radiologist but my RE disagreed. He did a lap, which took 4 hours to take my right tube out (hydro) and try to clean out the adhesions. He left my other tube in, but it had adhered to my left ovary and was essentially useless.

We couldn't afford IVF right away and moved out of the area, where I then got a new RE. She told me I should have the remaining tube taken out because it could become a hydro and because I was at a very high risk for an ectopic pg.

I've combed through articles on PubMed and found a journal article (case study) of a woman who did some astronomical # of IVFs with a damaged (but non-hydro) tube in. She had it taken out and was pg the next cycle.

Emotionally it was tough to take the tube out, but we have MF too so it made the decision easier. We have to pay for everything out of pocket so I wanted to do absolutely everything to improve our odds.

I hope you find success soon!

gemasita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. It is nice to know I am not alone!

SRK - I didn't ask what "stage" my adhesions were at. From the way my doctor talked, they sounded bad. I do need to find out what was stuck to what during my surgery - thanks for the reminder.

Sunnie - wow, your situation sounds so much like mine. I talked to one doctor who said my appendix probably perforated and kept resealing because no one could walk around for 10 days with a burst appendix. And since I didn't feel acute pain, it does make sense.

I too had NO appendix left by the time they went in there.

It's so strange that our doctors never mentioned the impact on our fertility. It makes a lot of sense to me know that this is all related to my appendix and I'm glad I found out when I did, at least.

Now I'm getting pretty worried about my left tube still being in there. I hope I don't have hydro but at least I know about it and can bring it up to my RE - I've heard TOO many stories about that negatively effected IVF and implantation. I have no idea if I have it but will bring it up. Yikes...one more thing to worry about. I can see how that was very emotional for you. My tube is completely non-functional now so maybe it won't be as much of a leap for me - just I really DON'T want surgery ever again! But I also want to make our shot at IVF the most successful that it can be.

kp30236
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jamie-

I too have tubal factor due to appendicitis. They never told me when I was dealing the with appendix issue when I was 25 that it would possibly affect my fertility. Only when I was 34 and trying to concieve that we discovered the severe pelvic adhesive disease that resulted. With me, the RE couldn't tell me whether it was the appendicitis, or the surgery to remove that caused the adhesions. Also, it was only here that I discovered that I was not alone in this problem.

There is hope with 1 tube remaining. I had a lap to remove both, in prep for IVF when the RE discovered that 1 tube was not blocked. Now, the ovary with that tube was in scar tissue, but with an unblocked tube, we had hope to try the less expensive/invasive IUI. We tried for 3 months with no luck, and moved on to IVF, but at least we know we exhasusted all options.

When we did IVF - we had success on the first try! Our loss was horrific bad luck and unrelated. FET#1 was also a success too.

Good luck to you in your journey.

KP
    IVF#1 - DD H.P.E - b/d 1.18.07
    FET#1 - edd 1.30.08

Sunnie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jamie - I didn't mean to worry you! If you see a RE I'm sure s/he will know what's the best course of action.

gemasita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunnie - no, that's ok! I will just ask lots of questions during my consult!

kp - congrats on your success! My tube isn't functional but hopefully we are a straight-forward IVF case.