FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Squirt8
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrosalpinx - screw the tubes!

I just found out Friday that my IVF did not take likely due to hydrosalpinx.

Both of my tubes are blocked at the ends due to severe scarring from abdominal surgery 8 years ago. (Another note, if you have abdominal surgery like for Crohn's or IBD and you plan on having kids, have them before the surgery if you can or shortly after or you will likely have to do the IVF route like us - scar tissue build up after abdominal surgery is inevitable and it takes very little to make the ends of the fallopian tubes close - a little fact I wish I'd known.)

A year ago I tried surgery to try to open the tubes but it was unsuccessful (and expensive - about $10,000 out of pocket due to crappy insurance/HMO which I'm sure everyone in the US with infertility problems is experiencing). Once again, I wish I had known more and I would have had the Dr. remove the tubes or at least give me a tubal ligation while he was in there - the **** things are worthless and are causing more problems than I ever could have thought.

I am going to talk to a dr. next week and get an appt. to get my tubes "tied" so I can have a better chance of having a baby (I wonder if he's ever heard that one!). I love going under general anesthesia (sarcasm). But at least our insurance covers 80% of a tubal ligation. Funny, and it covers about 1% of infertility treatments. I guess our HMO really is looking out for us by watching THEIR bottom line (more sarcasm).

So, before any of you undergo surgery to try to open your tube(s), tell the dr. that if it/they can't be opened, remove them or cut them so they can't accumulate the toxic fluid that will decrease your chances of IVF working by half.

I will admit, it was hard as hell to wrap my head around the idea of IVF, esp. the cost factor. But we did find a "poor man's IVF" center about an hour and a half away. "Poor man's IVF" (a term I use) is a process that only superovulates you to about 2 eggs. They then fertilize naturally (no male infertility allowed) and place the 1-2 embryos in you 3 days later. No freezing of extras - there usually aren't any extras - and the procedure costs about $3200 plus $500 in meds. Unfortunately they will probably be closing in April 06 and not likely replacing the doctor that is leaving and it is difficult to find IVF clinics that are willing to work with your budget like that.

So here's my advice - 1. Drs. don't always give you all the facts - find them yourself and 2. cut those darn worthless tubes so they don't cause you any more problems!!!

2. Advertisement

NewBeginnings
    NewBeginnings
    has no status.
    Edit
    Sorry to hear this and thanks for the advice!

I too suspect that my last cycle failed (2nd chemical in a row) due to hydro tubes and will get another lap done to get them removed.

Good luck to you and thanks again for the advice!

babybigblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking there is still not enough evidence that hydros are causing failed IVF cycles and that's why they don't want to remove such and integral part of the reproductive system. There are so many advancements in reproductive technology each year, so maybe they are thinking in the future it might be fixed or something...

of course in my mind too, I want to have a baby now so remove whatever is necessary to give me the baby :-)

I also wish that my doc removed them when they did my lap when I was 22 (10 years ago). But I guess he didn't want to since I wasn't trying to get pregnant then.

HSCM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey ladies,

10 years ago they didn't have the knowledge of today either.. The first IVF baby wasn't even born in the usa till the late 70s.... The percentages of success rates in IVF sucked 10 years ago as they are only today 50/50 in most cases.
    They have done a lot of research since then on all aspects of it and countinue to do so... that is why the success rates are better each year. Im not sure when they decided that Hydro. made IVF less successful but I bet they had no idea 10 years ago..
    I am just glad they figured that out somewhere along the line... Or none of us would have a chance to have a child..

Who knows what they will have discoverd in the future and we will probably look back and say man I wish they could have done that for me. They may even find that it was unnessasary to remove our tubes.... but like you guys said........we want a baby now!!!!!!! So I guess we will do what we have to do for that now..
    Good luck ladies keep me posted
    Ang

NewBeginnings
    NewBeginnings
    has no status.
    Edit
    I agree. What truly baffles me though is this -- if an RE knows that our dx is blocked/damaged tubes WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY NOT USING PREVENTIVE MEASURES (I.E., LAP OR HSG) TO DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT OUR TUBES ARE HYDRO? Yes -- I placed this caps because I am YELLING at all the REs that are wasting our precious time and causing us a lot of heartbreak when they can do preventive stuff beforehand. IVF is a lot of money, you know?

I know that some REs do utilize preventive measures to check for hydros, but a number of them do not.

True, there is no way to determine if hydros actually cause IVFs, but there have been a few studies on this issue to prove this. Not only that -- I would think the RE would want their clinic's success rates to be outstanding-- why not rule out hydros in the first place??

I know women on this thread and various other threads that have gone through so many failed cycles only to be diagnosed with hydros AFTER a failed cycle....Like a huge light bulb went off in the REs head that said, "Oh yeah -- by the way -- your tubes are hydro and perhaps this is why your cycle failed." DUH?? Like wouldn't it have been nice if the dang light bulb went off BEFORE the freakin cycle started in the first place? (lol!)...

Thanks for allowing me to vent.....

babybigblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.. At least the patient should be informed... I feel so lucky that my OBGYN is also a family friend... At least before we even started to TTC he told us that with my history with Chlamydia it pregnancy chance was slim and he kind of encouraged me directly go to HSG and consider IVF if the tubes were blocked. He already knows that I had a lap and said "I didn't see hydros in your tubes at least with the ultrasound, but if we see them we will remove them before IVF"... In a way, it all comes down to some people like to share information some dont... at least I want to make the decision before spending $10K and not only the money but wasted time and heartache on top of that...

I still cannot forget the ?@#?$? doctor who didn't even think I might have Chlamydia and treated me for an "unknown cyst" for 3 months and keeping me on antibiotics for another 3 of course with not luck. I wish I had my OBGYN now so that he could have at least save something.

thanks for letting me vent too.

Cubanita
    Cubanita
    has no status.
    Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by NewBeginnings
    WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY NOT USING PREVENTIVE MEASURES (I.E., LAP OR HSG) TO DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT OUR TUBES ARE HYDRO?
    Because failed IVF's = more IVF's which = another Mercedes and another beach house for my RE.

HSCM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha ha ha, your right bc-cub.

I am soooo glad that my RE said it right up front!!! First things first..

NewBeginnings
    NewBeginnings
    has no status.
    Edit
    Bigbabyblue -- I agree 200%!! And you can vent anytime!

BC-Cubanita -- LOL!

JAZZYDST
    has no status.
    Ft. Carson, Co in Atlanta til DH return from Afghanistan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Squirt8,

Do you mind telling me the name of your clinic

thanks