FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NewBeginnings
    NewBeginnings
    has no status.
    Edit

Laparaoscopic Bilateral Salpingectomy

Hey ladies -- I went to see my new ob/gyn yesterday and I am reading my report and it says that I am going to have an, "laparoscopic bilateral salpingectomy" -- what the hell?? Can someone please explain this to me like a two year old? Of course, the ob/gyn explained it, but was almost as if he was one of the adults on Charlie Brown saying, "wah-wah-wah-wah." (lol!)..

I think I figured it out -- salpingectomy is the removal of tubes, right?

Help!

1) What is the recovery time for this?
    2) How soon will I be able to do IVF after this surgery?

I am going to search and read previous posts on this topic too.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by NewBeginnings; 02-14-2006 at 09:07 AM.

2. Advertisement

tinner2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!!! I had the same thing done on dec. 15th and stayed on BCP's til my IVF #2 started which wasin Jan. I had my transfer on Jan 31st and my first beta yesterday and it was positive. 917 was my number.

So it took 2 months from surgery to get preggo.

Good luck to You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louise
    She's here!!!!! 5lbs. 7 ounces. 10/15/2006 18inches long 10:03 a.m.
    IT'S A !!!!!! (MAYA EFFIGENIA)

NewBeginnings
    NewBeginnings
    has no status.
    Edit
    Louise/Tinner!! I have been following your story and am soooo very happy for you! WOW! 917!! You transferred back 3 right?

Thanks for answering my post! Congratulations!! You give me hope!!

Cubanita
    Cubanita
    has no status.
    Edit
    That's what I had. It basically means that you're having both your tubes removed via laparoscopy. I had my surgery on a Tues. before Thanksgiving in 2003. I was in bed the next day, but was able to go to my MIL's for Thanksgiving on Thurs. I was sore and mildly crampy for about a week. Overall, recovery was really easy.

I am not sure how soon you would be able to do IVF, but I would think that a couple of months later would be fine. Ask your RE.

NewBeginnings
    NewBeginnings
    has no status.
    Edit
    Cubanita -- thanks for your response. One of my online friends said it would be 6 weeks to recover. I am guessing if I have full abdominal surgery it would take longer, correct?

My RE says about a 1-2 months, but I decided to ask you knowledgeable ladies who have actually been through it just to make sure....

Thanks so much for your help!

HSCM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had surgery 12/28 and started the IVF the end of jan.

babybigblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had laparoscopy 10 years ago. Then technology was very new. Although all surgeries carry some risk, laparoskopy is a great invention in terms of the amount of information they can get and short recovery timeline...

Controrary to other abdominal surgeries your muscles are not cut as much. After my surgery I was able to go out and dance with friends in 7 days. - I was 22 at the time what do you think?- There are no limitations on exercise etc. which with all abdominal surgeries there is mostly almost no exercise at least a few weeks. I now only have a small scar in my belly button and two veryvery small, almost impossible to see scars down on my belly; right where your underware sits on your belly- to describe it with common sense terms-. My tubes at the time were stuck to my intestines and other organs, so even with that they were able to get me in and out in 30 minutes and I was able to go home the same day. Only some minor gas problems :-) next day I was much better in 7 days I was dancing... I wish they even removed my tubes then, but I cannot blame my doc, since maybe he didn't know at the time when or if I wanted to get pregnant.

Again, I think if I will have to have surgery laparoskopy is one of the easiest out there and I doubt it will have a 4-6 month wait.

btw, the procedure is; they put a camera down from your belly button and wa-la "you're on tape". They see everything. Then without cutting you open they stick 2 sticks on the lower side right above the operative area -in this case your tubes- and those sticks have very small scissors on them, they cut and operate with those sticks. Shortly with camera they find their way and do what they need to do with less blood, pain and sticthes. Hope I didn't scare you. You will only feel your belly button itchy after the surgery and lots of gas as if you ate too much.

good luck...
    Last edited by babybigblue; 02-21-2006 at 07:02 PM.

babybigblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    ohh.. tinner... I am also anxious about your u/s... I am so happy for you!!! you bring us hope...

I think I will also ask my doc to remove tubes since they are of no use anyway... even on this board we see how much effective it is!!!

congrats again... keep us posted....

NewBeginnings
    NewBeginnings
    has no status.
    Edit
    I should have added that I had a laparoscopy done 2 years ago and I was fine within a week; this is my first time having laparoscopic surgery to actually remove my tubes and didn't know if it would take longer for me to recover this time.

Thanks immensely for all of the advice! I sincerely appreciate it!

SomedayMommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nope - this won't take longer to recover at all. You will be fine within a couple of days even! You may be a little sore, but I'll tell ya' - nothing inside will really be all that sore! I'm sure they will either remove or tie or cauterized the tubes. No sweat!

You should be all clear to do IVF within a month or so!

ETA - the translation of bilateral is - on both sides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast