FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Imom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Pregnancy after PID?

Hello
    I'm new here and, I must say, after reading through some posts this seems like a very warm and welcoming place to be.

here's my situation (I'll try to keep it short)....

Over 6 years ago I had a battle with P.I.D (Pelvic inflamatory disease). It's really humbling to admit on a public forum that I self inflicted my infirtility by way of not practicing safe sex, an STI is the cause of my blocked tubes. It appears my ovaries and uterus have survived unharmed, allthough I haven't been examined other than anual visits. So there's really been no reason to see if everything is functioning normally.

The infection had affected my entire reproductive system and I required laporoscopic surgery to clean out the fluid and adhesions.
    After the surgery the Dr. showed me photos of my system, before and after (that was interesting to say the least)
    Before was nasty, after.. not so nasty, and there was blue dye pumped through my tubes to show they had managed to clear a path.

My Dr. told me if I decided to try to have children again (I have an 8 year old) that I would most likely have to have a similar procedure done, and she left it at that.

Well, my partner and I have been having unprotected sex for 2 years....no pregnancy. We have, until recently, taken the "if it's meant to be" route.
    well...we're more than ready to have a baby....and we're ready to work for it.

I have my first "I want to get pregnant" appt. in about 3 weeks. I really don't know what to expect, and I'm REALLY hoping to hear from others who have had PID.

I'm at the beginning of my journey and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible for the emotional and physical rollercoaster.

Theres only so much info I can look up on the web. I would love some personal advice....

well, I guess thats enough for now, thanks for reading my post

2. Advertisement

Cubanita
    Cubanita
    has no status.
    Edit
    Hi Imom. You are not alone. My tubes were damaged by chlamydia (an STD). I never knew that I had it. In my case, one tube was completely blocked and the other tube was so severely damaged that it could not be repaired. The only way that I can get pg is with IVF.

It sounds like you still have tubes and that they are open. Hopefully your news at your appointment in 3 weeks will be good!

Have you had your partner tested? In our case, we also have male factor issues that make us a disaster as a couple in terms of TTC. But IVF is able to combat both the male and female issues.

There is a wealth of information on tubal issues here. Ask away if you have any other questions.

Looking forward to hearing the results from your appointment.

Imom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks so much
    I often find I get a bit hard on myself because my IF was , in reality, totally preventable. But I need to deal with the here and now.

I've been putting of finding out for sure what shape my tubes are in, part of me wants to believe the IF is on my partners shoulders, but I was married for 2 years to another man, after my procedue/infection, and we also had unprotected sex for the duration....also with the "if it's meant to be, we'll get pregnant" frame of mind.

So basically, I've had 4 non consecutive years of sex with no pregnancy.

well, I guess all I have to do know is wait and see.
    I've been draining myself to the point where it's hard to function....lots of staring off into space and trying to see every scenario before it happens.

thanks again, your post makes me feel much less alone

Cubanita
    Cubanita
    has no status.
    Edit
    I too blamed myself, but nothing can be done about it now. My DH and I both lived wild lives and did things that have consequences in our present. So we try to just concentrate on doing what we have to do now.

Looking back, I wish that I had just gone straight to the best RE that I could find and gotten the full picture by testing both partners thoroughly. We too spent a year in the "if it is meant to be it will just happen" mode. And then another year being treated by a substandard doctor who found the MF, and treated us with IUI's, but failed to do any thorough testing on me. Turns out my tubes were bad and we spent valuable time and money.

For me too it was easier to not deal with the realities. But here I find myself at 40 and still no living baby and chances of it happening get dimmer with each passing day.

No doubt about it. IF just sucks.

carebears2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ladies!
    I had chlamyda and did not know it and it turned into PID, almost 7yrs ago. I thought I would be ok b/c I was treated right away, but it already did it's damage. I will need to do IVF to become pregnant, also. My right tube was severely damaged and my left tube was completely blocked. I had surgery in March to remove my tubes, but did not have them removed b/c there was soo much scar tissue. My RE closed of the right tube and tried to repair the left tube, and found out it is "hooked" shaped. My insurance doesn't cover IVF, so me and my dh are saving right now and are hoping do IVF next year sometime. Good Luck to you, Imom! Cubanita, hugs to you Yes, IF does suck! Take care ladies!
    Carla

TRC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was 19 I found out after thinking I was pg that it was actually PID. I ended up having to have surgery in which my OB/GYN removed my right tube and ovary but managed to save my left tube by scraping the infection out, although to no avail come to find out later...it ended blocked with scar tissue from the surgery itself. So I too was in that mode of if it was meant to be it will be....NOT.

Fast forward one divorce, a second marriage, and 19 yrs later to our first IVF cycle which got canceled because I didn't respond to the hormones. After further testing guess what...high fsh so a no go with my eggs. We were already having to use DS so this led us to the next logical choice (at least for us)...donor embryos. Our first attempt was a BFN. So we waited again for more embryos and 8 months later we had some. This cycle was successful resulting in my triplet boys (identical twins & faternal). I was 40 when I had them and they are now happy and healthy 14m olds. We never knew if I could carry a child or even get pg for that matter given the nasty infection I had in my late teens, but it turned out that I could and I did, just not the old fashion way.

I thank God every day for the unselfish individuals who gave of themselves to make our dreams a reality.

I am proof that even if you've suffered from this stupid nasty disease, that it is still possible to become a mother!
    Theresa 42 / Dh 34 IVF#1 - 12/01 cancelled
    DFET#1 - 12/02 (3,4,7 cell & 1 blast)BFN
    Diff. DFET#2 - tf 10/22 (two 8 & two 10 cell) BFP
    1st beta 12dpt 499 / 2nd beta 14dpt 1392.93
    Noah, Ian, & Garrett born 4/30/04 @ 29.5d - I'm a mommy at last!

Seth's Mommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My doctor says my hydrosalpinxes were caused by PID due to an STD. I have no idea when, who, where, what or how. I was never diagnosed with anything. I am so mad because I thought I was doing my best to get checked out every year. I got chlamydia/gonorrhea tests done the same time I had my paps done. I do feel like I brought this on myself and it bothers me that I will never know any facts about it. I feel even more guilty because I know that I was able to get pregnant at one time. When I was 20 I was pregnant and very sick with hyperemesis. My doctor at the time told me to expect to be hospitalized off and on perhaps throughout the entire pregnancy or to terminate. I was young, scared and alone with no health insurance. The hyperemesis would have kept me from working and I chose to terminate the pregnancy. Nowadays there are alot more ways to treat hyperemesis that do not require hospitalization and it is possible that after the first trimester I would have been okay. Two years after the abortion I became pregnant again and had no problems. I was so happy and wanted the baby so much but miscarried at 8 weeks. I feel like I may have had my chance and thrown it away. My dad was raised Catholic and although he's never said it, I am pretty sure that he sees my infertility as something I deserve. I have even thought it myself. If nothing can be done to my tubes or if the IVF doesn't work I don't know how I will ever truly forgive myself.

wan2b3+
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is anyone out there for an update on this?
    How can I have had PID and not know until my tubes are blocked?
    D. In Dallas

carebears2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ****preg ment****

Wanb3,
    With some sexually transmitted diseases there are no signs or symptoms for example;chlamydia. Trust me you would know if you had PID. I had a high fever and lower pelvic pain so bad I couldn't walk. I went to the ER and they did a pap and culture. That was how I found out that I had PID. It has been 10yrs since I had PID. I started ttc 4yrs ago and found out that my tubes were severely damaged and I had tons of adhesions (scar tissue) which was caused from the PID.
    My only hope to conceive was IVF. I did 2 rounds of IVF and my 2nd cycle I got pregnant. I will leave my signature at the bottom so you see my history. Good Luck to you!

Carla
    Last edited by carebears2; 09-05-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Cubanita
    Cubanita
    has no status.
    Edit
    Chlamydia often goes completely undetected and symptomless. I found out about mine after my lap. The scarring that was observed during my lap could only have been caused by chlamydia according to my doctors. I never knew I had it. Don't even know when I had it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast