FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

KimP
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know when you need a d&c?

This probably seems like a stupid question coming from someone *old* like me, but I forgot all of this stuff since it seems like ages since I was dealing with ttc stuff. It seems that I have suffered a very early miscarriage, a very, very large surprise to dh and I since I had no idea I could even get pg (long story that I don't have the energy to delve into right now). But I went to the ob/gyne, I am on a double dose of antibiotics because I am suffering from a horrible infection from the m/c, and he is recommending a possibly d/c. I'm just wondering, when is it mandatory that you have a d/c? I don't want to have one of I don't need to? I "passed" whatever tissue there was, it was very early in the pg, so I'm wondering if a d/c is necessary? What do you guys think? Thank you for your input!

Kim P.

2 angels 1/01 IVF #1
    IVF #2 BFN
    Living son via adoption 7/03

2. Advertisement

smiley
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kim!!!!
    What an awful 'surprise'!?! I am soooo very sorry!!

I am currious, but don't get into it if it's too much!! I had something like that happen to me...we still don't know exactly what happened. Personally, I think you run more of a risk of scaring from an infection than from a D&C, although being able to avoid them messing w/your cervix is best. If you have products of conception stuck in there, they need to come out or you will only have more problems. How far are you from your next possible AF (I know you may not have a clue at this point...) maybe that will help you heal. Also, did you doctor indicate if he could see anything via u/s? I think I would follow his/her best advice. If he feels it needs to be done, I would do it....(This of course is just my opinion....)
    (((((hugs))))) to you Kim....
    smiley

tle
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Kim!!!!

I'll echo smiley here . . . I am so sorry, so wish this had had a different outcome. ((((hugs)))).

I'll also say "ditto" to what smiley had to say about the d&c. I think you do run a bigger risk from tissue left in the uterus, especially with an infection already present. An u/s may show what's going on, if he hasn't done one.

And while d&c's aren't something to be done lightly, I've had two . . .

Thinking of you . . .

tle

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    {{Kim}}

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've wondered how you've been. Smiley and Tle are right, the risk of infection is one to take very seriously. Is your beta at zero? Hopefully an u/s has been done to make sure ALL tissue has passed. I know that it can appear that all has passed and yet betas are not at zero. Again, I'm so sorry.

Melinda

KimP
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I did end up having a d&c last weekend and a hysteroscopy, and ended up having to stay in the hospital for 3 1/2 days. It turns out that my endo is back pretty bad also, I'm just a mess again! I can't believe I'm having to deal with all of these issues again I thought I was through with all of this, sigh. Thanks for all of your well wishes. I do check up on everyone fairly often and think of you all everyday. I hope everyone is doing well.

Gemma
    is starting the adoption process again
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Hi Kim

I didn't see your post about the d&c. I am so sorry that you had to go through all this. I'm glad that you are doing ok though but sorry to hear that you endo is back. Take care of yourself.

Thinking of you

Gemma
    xx