FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can newborns catch the flu?

just wondering if anyone knows if newborns can catch the flu? My 2 1/2 yr old threw up about 3-4 times over the night and has a fever. We have a 2 1/2 week old at home, and I'm really nervous she is going to get this. Does anyone know if tiny infants can catch this stomach flu? Or do they have good immune systems?
    8.5 weeks 7/02 D&C
    8/03 retained placenta/severe bleed D&C
    8/04 Fall 04 Very early losses
    1/05 8 wks /Severe bleed took baby w/ heartbeat by D&C to save Mom 6/05 EARLY LOSS
    3/06 retained placenta
    10/09 retained placenta

2. Advertisement

flagirl
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know the answer to that but my 2.5 year old had a bad cold and the flu within the first 2 weeks of Natalie being home and she didn't catch either. So maybe just luck..... I washed my hands like a mad woman and tried as best as I could to keep my older dd away from her. Good luck......i know how worrisome that is.
    Tina

Two precious girls -
    Anna (4/25/03) and Natalie (12/10/05).

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh that's good to hear. Yes I'm a germ freak! washing hands like crazy. I left the baby in her room and I'm just using the monitor to keep an eye on her, so she doesn't get overly exposed.
    8.5 weeks 7/02 D&C
    8/03 retained placenta/severe bleed D&C
    8/04 Fall 04 Very early losses
    1/05 8 wks /Severe bleed took baby w/ heartbeat by D&C to save Mom 6/05 EARLY LOSS
    3/06 retained placenta
    10/09 retained placenta

jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    When my dd was 1 week everyone in my family got sick. then when she was 2 weeks my dh got sick. I didn't chance her getting sick I left and stayed with my mom. I know you can't just do that when you have a 2 year old.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

marya
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barring other medical issues, newborns generally have pretty souped up immune systems, espeically if you are nursing, but even if you aren't they carry your antibodies for awhile. Definately keep up with the hand washing, etc, but try not to worry. I know I keep bottles of antibacterial stuff everywhere and when one of mine is sick, if I so much as stroke their hair, I scrub down. Also, if you can, you might want to divide and conquer. Have DH take care of your DS and you take care of the baby.
    marya
    DX: Severe MF
    My avatar is the Sanskrit symbol "ohm" It has many interpretations, among my favorites is "the realization of the divinity within all man (or within oneself)."