FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

iAriel
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried

Exclamation I am looking for Intended Parents but worried please help!

I want to become a gestational surrogate so bad and I know I would be the best candidate. Its not even about the money because at this point I would do it for free. I have PCOS though. I know it associates with my eggs and its hard for myself to get pregnant, but I have been pregnant 7 months ago and I know I can carry a healthy baby to full term without any complications. But PCOS scares intended parents. I dont know where to go from here.

2. Advertisement

BC-Sirell
    is loving her new home in San Diego!
    BC for Surrogacy
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    Hi there!

You should be very proud of yourself for wanting to help a couple become parents by being their surrogate!

You said you were pregnant seven months ago. . . did you carry to term and are you parenting that child? Having at least one full-term uncomplicated pregnancy and being the parent to that child is an absolute requirement to being a surrogate.

Also, since you have been diagnosed with PCOS, you'll definitely need a letter from your OB/GYN stating that you can get pregnant as a surrogate and carry to term.

The above two items might make it easier for you to find intended parents.

Take your time and educate yourself. That is absolutely key.

Ask questions. We are all here to help in any way we can.

Hugs,

Sirell
    GS to Logan Thomas (born 8/22/10)
    GS to Jodok Roy & Louis Neil (born 12/3/08)
    GS to Jessica Galina (born 10/12/07)
    GS to Bodie Lane (born 9/6/06)
    GS to Ariana Grace (born 11/24/04)
    GS to Katherine Sirell (born 8/21/03)
    TS to Eli Fredrick (born 8/20/01)
    The love of my life - Tim & our children - Alexandria, Ashley, Lacey, Jacob, & Jillian & grandson - Anthony

Essie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iAriel View Post
    I want to become a gestational surrogate so bad and I know I would be the best candidate. Its not even about the money because at this point I would do it for free. I have PCOS though. I know it associates with my eggs and its hard for myself to get pregnant, but I have been pregnant 7 months ago and I know I can carry a healthy baby to full term without any complications. But PCOS scares intended parents. I dont know where to go from here.
    Hi. I think it is wonderful that you want to be a surrogate so much!! I'm a FIM and had several surrogates before
    we were successful One of our unsuccessful attempts was with a surrogate with PCOS. I also am PCOS, so I'm very
    familiar with it. Here's the thing about PCOS - like many medical conditions, your situation may be very different from
    someone else's with PCOS because of severity, how you've managed it over the years, the cause in your case, and
    how it affects your body specifically. Here are the most important factors> PCOS affects the regulation of your
    hormones, which is critical in your ability to get pregnant predictably. If you are having periods regularly, and the
    more regular your cycle, the better. If you are actually ovulating, even better for hormone regulation. The other
    significant issue is your BMI, since the insulin resistance associated with PCOS tends to make us overweight. If your
    BMI is normal or close to it, you'll also have a better chance of being a surrogate. Lastly, you'll want to do everything
    you can to get and maintain a good hormonal cycle. This generally means a lower carb, low/no sugar eating regime
    (our RE put our surrogate on South Beach diet) and the willingness to take the drug that helps control insulin
    resistance. Our surrogate had some troubles tolerating this drug. The RE ended up deciding she wasn't a good
    surrogate candidate, but the PCOS was only one factor, and it wasn't her fault that she had troubles with the drug.
    I've taken it and the side effects were a little unpleasant for me, although tolerable. I could understand if they were
    worse how it could be too difficult to tolerate. It turns out that I can control my PCOS through strict control of my
    eating and exercise and making sure I keep my weight in a normal BMI range. It is work, though, and PCOS never
    goes away - it just goes into "remission".

There are good reasons why IPs would be cautious of a surrogate with PCOS. Investing the time and money in
    someone that you have doubts will pass the medical evaluation is difficult. I would suggest going with an agency
    that does the medical screening before matching you to a couple. If you show the agency that your PCOS is under
    control (i.e. you are having normal cycles) then that this the important part.

Our agency didn't exclude the surrogate we matched with because of her PCOS. The IVF clinic we worked with didn't
    exclude her because of it on the pre-screen even though it was in her records. It was only her ability to comply with
    the regime they use for women with PCOS that made it an issue. It's just a matter of getting
    matched to the right couple. You may have to be a bit more patient to make it happen. Do your part of getting the
    PCOS under control and getting it documented by your health care providers and then go for it.
    -Essie
    Married to DH and ttc - 2002
    IM and officially Matched to 5 surrogates since 2007
    Chemical pregnancy - 2009
    Transfer - 1/24/11 BFP - 2/4/11 Twin boys born - 9/5/11

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is wonderful you want to be a surrogate. Definitely you need to have carried and parented a child as a major requirement to being a surrogate. It sounds like you have given birth but not sure about parenting? I think the PCOS would not be as much an issue if you were with an agency. One of our SM's had PCOS and we discovered it mid cycle (AI surrogacy) so it was something that could be passed on to our child since we were using her eggs. As long as your hormones and BMI are ok and you would be doing gestational surrogacy I think it would be fine.
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)