FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    surroIPs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Tricare insurance

Does anyone know if Tricare (standard or prime) insurance tends to cover surrogacy? They do not specifically exclude surrogacy, but we have heard various experiences that have concerned us about potentially moving forward with a surrogate who has Tricare. Thanks!
    IM - Matched and awaiting transfer!

2. Advertisement

bellymama
    the belly-in-waiting :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard that many IP's actually prefer surrogates with tricare because it covers everything (pregnancy wise). My IM's first surrogate was a military wife and tricare was going to cover everything. I think it's the kind of situation where they don't ask if it's a surro-pregnancy and so you don't tell. Hope it works out for you!

jennlove33
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a Navy wife and I am using Tricare Standard. I am GS preg with twins. I havent had any issues with Tricare yet. My doc knows I am a surro. If u use a military surro make sure u put in her contract that u have X-amount $ put aside for access of ins. fees. That is really all they require. So if they find out she is a surro they will ask for a copy of her contract and as long as that X-amount is said to be put aside for ins. they r ok with that. They r cracking down on surro's that do not have x=amount put aside just in case. DOes this make sense? My other friend is a surro(x's2) using Tricare, she just had tripletts. Tricare asked to see her contract and asked how the babies were doing. She had the X-amount in her contract and they were happy with that. This is here 2nd GS and used Tricare both times with no issues. My lawyer knew the rules so if she is in CA (San Diego) I can recommend him for her.
    Proud Retired Navy wife. Proud Surrogate.
    2 Fresh 5day Transferred Aug. 30th
    BETA #1 Sept. 8th.....335 9dp5dt
    BETA #2 Sept.10th....773 11dp5dt
    BETA #3 Sept. 14th...5223 15dp5dt
    First U/S revealed TWINS!! BOY/GIRL
    Born April 18th 2010 35wks 5 days

Just The Oven
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mercy and United cover the pregnancy too, at least in my state, Mo. My husband works for the state.

zinkter
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am tricare prime but I am a TS, so they told me because I am genetically the mother there isn't a problem because in their eyes it is no different than adoption.

harlequine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have tricare prime and the pregnancy is 100% covered. They told me that they look at it the same as if she were to adopt out her own baby, and they cant deny prenatal care as long as its the policy holder (or policy holder's wife) that's pregnant. The only thing tricare absolutely wont cover is the fertility stuff, but once she's pregnant tricare kicks in and picks up everything.

I think if its tricare standard there is a copay though, but we have prime so there isnt any copay ever.
    Jennifer
    Wife to my wonderful DH since 9/23/06
    Mommy to an amazing DS since 4/19/08

GS#1 baby girl born 7/16/10 via first FET; 8lbs 6oz, 21 inches
    GS#2 baby boy born 12/19/11 via first IVF; 8lbs 3oz, 21 inches

surroIPs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow sounds like Tricare is pretty great. Jenn- I sent you an email to get the name of that attorney.
    IM - Matched and awaiting transfer!

jennlove33
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have standard and do not pay a co-pay. I chose to deliver at a civilian hospital not the base. I also chose a civilian doc not the doc's on base. The only thing is that when I am in labor and have to stay a few days, depending on if I have a c-section, they charge (I think) $25 per day. I know when I had my 2.5 yr old I delivered her on base and they charged me $12 per day.
    Proud Retired Navy wife. Proud Surrogate.
    2 Fresh 5day Transferred Aug. 30th
    BETA #1 Sept. 8th.....335 9dp5dt
    BETA #2 Sept.10th....773 11dp5dt
    BETA #3 Sept. 14th...5223 15dp5dt
    First U/S revealed TWINS!! BOY/GIRL
    Born April 18th 2010 35wks 5 days

zinkter
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    One quick thing, Tricare will cover SOME of the tests for infertility treatments, such as ultrasound, meds, lab work. THey did for me at least at a civilian doctor. I also am not delivering at a military treatment facility. I just said hey I am a surrogate you won't give IP's their own room ( I made sure to have it put in contract that the baby could not room with me) and I would be in breach of contract. also my MTF wanted to stay as far away from the legal aspect as possible and gladly refered me to a civilian doctor.

SinglebE
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an official answer regarding Tricare coverage:

"Surrogate arrangements - TRICARE may contribute to the remaining balance of otherwise covered benefits related to the surrogate mother's medical expenses after the contractually agreed upon amount has been exhausted."

Tricare is NOT intended to be the main insurance provider for surrogate parents, only as a secondary insurance provider

Benefit Search: Other Health Insurance
    Christa (32) and Brandon (30)
    Dx: PCOS and Low Sperm Count
    Married Oct 2007
    TTC since Jan 2007
    2 IUI's, 2 IVF's, 3 FET's, resulting in one miscarriage at 7 weeks and one chemical
    Adopted a baby girl in January 2013!

My Blog- Fearlessly Infertile
    My Articles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast