Just wanted to ask a question...has anyone ever reduced from twins to singleton....? I know that's pretty uncommon, I never wanted twins and I am extremely concerned with the risks of multiples. I am currently 7.5 weeks pregnant after IVF. One of the fetuses is a half smaller than the other with slower heart rate...
At this point I don't know that anything is wrong with one of them but I just wanted to have one healthy child...
P.S. I wasn't irresponsible during IVF and kept asking my doctor to only tranfer one embryo...even on the day of transfer I asked him to put back one, but RE insisted on transferring 2 and now I am stuck with these decisions and pretty upset about all this. I also don't know if there are any doctors who would agree to do a procedure and the cost....
RE himself is upset because he saw how upset I was with twins and agreed that I've been asking him to avoid this...
Someone, please advise...
thanks a lot ladies
Results 1 to 4 of 4
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM #1hope2bpregnantRegistered Userhas no status.
- Join Date
- May 2009
SR from twins to singleton
01-25-2010, 09:10 AM #2momto3angelsRegistered Userhas no status.
- Join Date
- Nov 2003
- South NJ
- Blog Entries
Congratulations on your pregnancy-I'm sorry it isn't the blissful and joyful experience that it should be from the get-go
I reduced triplets to a singleton, but on my first u/s, we saw 2 sacs and I was already strongly considering reducing to a singleton. On my second u/s, we saw 3 heartbeats and I knew I would reduce. I have a history of complicated pregnancies and a history of loss so I knew that I didn't want another multiple pg. Like you, I wanted only single embryo transfers and I actually did a few of them-then on my (9th) and last IVF, my RE and I talked about "odds" and the "odds" showed that at 38 years old, I was more likely to NOT get pg than I was to get pg with multiples if we transferred 2 embryos. So we did. And I got pregnant with twins. And one split. That's the hard part with odds-if there is a 80% chance something won't happy-20% of people still fall into the smaller percent of it happening.
Anyway, there are risks associated with reduction and those risks can cause you to lose the entire pregnancy. I would advise you to see out a reputable Perinatologist who has experience in reductions (I can send you the names of a 2 in our area-I live in South NJ but I went to Abington for both my infertility treatments and my reduction. I also know of an excellent Dr in Phila. who does reductions, so send me a PM if you want the names). Make an appointment and talk to the Peri about the risks of a twin pregnancy v/s the risk of a reduction. Again, it's playing the odds "game" and only you can answer what you are comfortable doing. Gather as much info as you can and make an educated decision, then know that the decision you make is the right decision for your family.
When you meet with the doctor, make sure you discuss testing options-there are options available to see if the fetus/es are healthy and there are options on how to go about that testing. For example, some Peri's will do a CVS on one fetus only and if those results come back healthy, they will automatically reduce the other fetus. This has pros and cons. One pro is that you only do one CVS test, therefore reducing your risks of complications/infections from multiple CVS tests and then a reduction. A con of this is that if the fetus comes back showing a problem, you have no garauntee that they other fetus is healthy. Some dr's will test both. If neither of them show a problem, they will reduce the fetus that is easiest to reduce. For some people, it can be difficult to reduce a fetus that you know is 100% healthy (should results show that they are both healthy). There are also options of non-invasive screenings, which aren't as accurate as a CVS test but can be good indications for chromosomal issues. You should discuss these, too.
Considering reduction is a difficult decision with a lot of things to consider. But again, there is no right or wrong-only what is right for YOU and YOUR family.
Best of luck to you and again, if you need help with some names of reputable dr's LMK.
Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM #3hope2bpregnantRegistered Userhas no status.
- Join Date
- May 2009
thank you so much momto3angels, I sent you a pm
03-13-2010, 07:37 AM #4sadRegistered Userhas no status.
- Join Date
- Aug 2009
so sorry you are dealing with this. i was in your shoes months ago. i also thought i wasn't taking a risk, i asked the re, and he insisted i had only 1 viable egg (haha yeah right). i KNEW a reduction was the only thing i could do, i sooo didn't go into this wanting two babies, and i felt envious of people who were carrying one, but i let time keep escaping me, and spent my whole pregnancy sad and confused, yet still pregnant with two. i came to peace with everything and started accepting things as is, a couple months before my twins came, but still had my doubts, but now i do not look back at all, and am soo very glad i didn't reduce, however, i understand because i almost did and i never would have known one of these babies, it's always different once they are here, so if you do do it, do it as early as you can, and don't put it off, but for me, i mean someone who had everything going for them, TO reduce, i mean BIG TIME, i can't imagine only having 1 of them right now. you gotto think hard about it, and do what is best for you and your family. don't live in fear and what if's, they ruin the whole pregnancy experience and make you crazy!
good luck to you!
ps- PLEASE DO do the cvs. it isn't so bad as far as pain and can really help you make an informed choice. i know at one time, as awful as it sounds, i was hoping something was wrong with one, so i could be at peace, more so, with reduction, but it didn't happen, however if it had, i would not have looked back, because i know to have a child suffer is far worse then reducing. i'd definately recommend the early testing, then you can make an informed decision.
DISCLAIMER: Fertile Thoughts allows advertisers to publish information about their services. Fertile Thoughts does not provide medical advice or endorse any particular service or approach to treating infertility. We encourage people to learn as much as possible about the range of options available before committing to any one. We also encourage users to share their thoughts on all fertility options on our forums.