FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

samantha1234
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Elevated levels of alpha fetoprotein after reduction

My alpha fetoprotein levels are elevated and they are going to redo the test in 2 weeks. anyone else have this elevated? From what i am finding on the internet (medical articles) even after reduction the levels can remain high, ie the levels expected before reduction. But I am wondering if that is the case, then why bother to repeat the test again. and if its positive again should i bother worrying about that?

2. Advertisement

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why they did an AFP if you were carrying multiples. During my first triplet pg, I was told I couldn't have an AFP bcs of the multiple status. In my 3rd pg, the one I reduced (triplets to a singleton) I was again told they wouldn't do an AFP bcs the multiple status, even though it was reduced, could still skew the test.

In my second pg, my non-reduced singleton, my AFP was elevated and I was completely stressed about a potential problem. However, my first trimester scan was normal and my subsequent u/s showed no abnormalities. Not sure why the AFP was off, but my son is complete fine (he's almost 6).

I'd ask the doc why they ran the test and what the purpose of running it again is. Again, I was told it's not accurate enough to justify doing when/if the pg was ever a multiple pg. Then again, that was 7 and 4 years ago, respectively.

Hope that helps.
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

samantha1234
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    im wondering if my doc knows that the afp is unreliable - at any time during this pregnancy. i think she seems to think my levels will reduce to the singleton level. from my reading of articles tho, it seems that the reduced babies can still leak fluids that affect afp levels. i think i might print these articles out and take them with me when i go next time to the doctor. i dont know if my doc has ever had a case like me, a reduction involved.

saffyre99
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto to momto3angels. My peri (in Boston) told me that under no circumstance was I supposed to have an AFP at any point in this pregnancy (3-2 reduction). Your levels will remain off and just cause anxiety. I had my reduction in January, so this information is pretty fresh. I'd e-mail or take her some articles.

lawva
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr Evans told me NOT to get an AFP b/c the levels WOULD be abnormal. Use the 20wk U/S to look for spine issues instead. This was 2-3 wks ago.

im2003
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    A genetic counselor I trust told me that a reduced fetus would release abnormal levels of AFP. She said the levels of a reduced pregnancy are even less reliable than those of a multiple unreduced pregnancy.

beenthere
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto everyone else. My OB order an AFP and it came back abnormal. My perinatologist was mad that my OB had ordered it because all the results were going to do was cause me worry. Thankfully, everything looked normal during my sono.