FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
best doctors for reducation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shiryb
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

best doctors for reducation

Hi,

I'm 7 weeks pregnant with triplets.
    both my doctors (yes, I needed more then 1 doctor to be able to concieve...) immediately recommended to do a fetal reduction.
    obviously i'm scared to death, but I read a lot of posts here and somewhat it calmed me a bit. I'm still not sure I'll do it, but i'm willing to think about it.

We would like to have a consultation with the best doctor in NYC that does this procedure, any recommendation?
    (one of my doctors recommended Dr' Joanne Stone from Mt. Sinai, I also heard about Dr' Evans)

Thanks!

2. Advertisement

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your pg. I'm sorry it's coming with such a difficult decision. If you back search some of my posts/responses, you can read my story-the long and short of it is that I faced a triplet pg twice (what are the odds, you ask? Extremely small). the first time I chose not to reduce and that pg ended extremely tragically with the premature birth and subsequent death of all three of my trio. Truly devastating. In the second triplet pg (one fraternal, 2 identicals), I reduced the identical twins and carried the singleton pg. My dd is about to turn 3.

Having been on both ends (first time, I couldn't bring myself to reduce and the second time I couldn't bring myself not to reduce) I understand the range of emotions many women go through. There is no right or wrong decision here, only the right decision for you and your family. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose.

Now to answer your question; since you're looking for docs in NYC, I assume you are from North NJ. I live in South NJ and I went over to Abington, PA for my reduction, even though it was an hour and half from my home. The Dr I saw was Dr Craparo and he is an excellent perinatologist and very skilled and knowledgeable regarding reduction. I can't reccomend him enough. I saw him once, post reduction, then I transferred back to my local OB and Perinaltogist for the remainder of my pg.

I am not familiar with any docs in North NJ/NYC area, but hopefully someone else will be able to help you. However, if you're willing to travel to Abington, Dr Craparo and his office are extremely skilled and easy to work with.

Best of luck.
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

shiryb
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi momto2angels,

Thank you so much.
    I read your previous posts and i'm really sorry to hear about what you've been going through, i'm sure its very difficult but i'm sure your daughter makes you smile every day and it worth it all.

I'm from north NJ, and both my RE and the high risk OB that took care of me are from NYC. I just spoke to my RE now and he said 3 names which he thinks are equaly good:
    Dr' Stone, Dr' Evans & Dr' Wakner

I have a consultation with Dr' Stone next week, but I'll love to hear about other women experience with any one of those 3.

Thanks!

bkln12
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi-
    I went to Dr. Simpson at Columbia. She works in the same practice as Dr. Wapner. They were excellent. One advantage of going with Dr. Wapner's practice at Columbia or Dr. Stone is that they do take some insurance. I have heard great things about Dr. Evans, but I don't think he takes insurance at all. I know you want to get the very best care, and so did I, but there are a number of doctors (like Stone) who do this and are affiliated with a hospital so take insurance. Just a thought....we are lucky to have such good access to New York City where there are multiple doctors who do this procedure regularly. Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions. I just went through this last month.

shiryb
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much.
    I would love to hear about your experience if you want to share, i'm so scared of it. I'm scared that I'll loose the whole pregnancy (which was extremly hard to acheive) and i'm also scared about the emotional issue after the reduction. i'm also scared that if i won't do it the outcome might be even worse, of losing one or more later on, anyway i'm sure you went through all of this too...
    thank again

squirm
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was so scared to tell my OB that I wanted to reduce from 2 to 1. I thought he'd judge me or try to talk me out of it. Instead he right away told me that Dr. Stone at Mt. Sini in NYC is the top doctor for this procedure and called her for me. I've seen her twice now and she's amazing.

The first appt was to meet with a genetic counselor to talk about CVS and genetic history and to have Dr. Stone describe the procedure and talk about the statistics around it. We learned that one actually has a lower chance of miscarrying after selective reduction to a singleton than from carrying twins. 2% vs 5%

The second appt was a CVS to see if both pregnancies were healthy, which may help her in making a decision on which to reduce.

My third appt will be next week for the procedure.

Dr. Stone is professional, calm, kind, thoughtful and I feel so comfortable and confident in her hands. I can't recommend her enough.

clover80
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm so glad to have found this thread. dh and i went into our transfer requesting to only have 1 blast transferred. our re was very supportive about this, however, once actually in the room, the lab said due to poor quality blasts, we needed to transfer 2. i felt pretty uneasy about this, but went along with it cause i assumed they know best. we currently have a 2 year old from a previous ivf cycle and know we are not in a situation to handle twins. anyway, i have just had my 2 betas done this week with incredibly high numbers. i know that is not necessarily indicative of twins, but even my nurse is saying it's looking like multiples. i'm really freaking out as i know that dh and i both will want to reduce. such a horrible decision to be faced with, but i need to do what's best for my family. i live in central nj and was hoping you ladies could help me out with doctors etc. do you know if st. peters hospital in new brunswick does this procedure? obviously we'd have no problem travelling into the city, but i just want to know i'm working with the best doctors. i'm so scared to lose the whole pregnancy if it comes to that.

thanks so much in advance.

momofonegirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say I feel like I could have written this thread myself. I am 40y with a toddler. We did IVF and wanted to transfer 1. Went in to the transfer and they talked us into 2 at the last minute. Now preg with twins. VERY upset, angry, depressed, anxious, agonizing about it. We only wanted one. Now we are trying to decide to do SR or not. I wanted to abort the whole thing to get it over with but I think that is out of the question now and was basically my kneejerk reaction. We have CVS on Monday. ANy words of wisdom or support to help in making our decision is welcome. So scared to make the "wrong" decision even though I know there is really no such thing. I am not scared to do the procedure as I know the odds are good but just worried about the emotional side. Just knowing there are others out there in our exact situation is very helpful to me. Hugs to all.

squirm
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had the SR procedure yesterday at Mt. Sinai in NYC. I was really anxious and nervous and full of stress of the days leading up to it, but knew it was the right decision for my family.

I have to say that the only thing I felt after the procedure was immediate relief and finally a real and deep connection to my pregnancy. I hadn't even realized how much I'd been distancing myself from my entire pregnancy emotionally to protect myself from potentially feeling bad after the SR.

The procedure was uncomfortable, but much less painful than the CVS.

clover80
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had my ultrasound yesterday and it was confirmed to be twins. i immediately started crying. my re knew how dh and i felt about the idea of twins from the start, so he told me that it's too early to really think about it yet since we haven't even seen heartbeats yet, but that he can recommend doctors for the s.r. procedure if it comes to that. part of me feels like such a bad person for reducing twins when people deal with more than that every day. but dh and i really talked in detail about it and twins are just not what we envisioned for our family.

i feel like i'm already doing exactly what squirm has explained and am distancing myself from the entire pregnancy. i'm so glad to hear you are finally able to bond with it now though. any details you could give would be really helpful. what were the risks of the cvs and s.r.? also, did they do the cvs on both babies or just one? thanks so much for any info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast