FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    prayingfor#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone heard of or used Maca or Vitex?

I was talking to the heatlh store guy today about fertility helpers and he highly reccomended Maca. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it before? He said that he's heard of much higher success rates than with other natural methods.
    Also someone on another board I belong to mentioned Vitex.
    So far the only dx I have is that I'm not ovulating so my dr has increased my clomid again. I don't like the way it makes me feel at my last dosage, I'm afraid of how crazy I'll be at the new dosage! He's said he's going to send me to the fertility clinic if I don't ovulate at this dose but it might take a couple of months to get in. I was thinking of trying something natural while I wait if I can't handle this new dose of Clomid.
    Last edited by prayingfor#2; 01-09-2008 at 09:43 PM.

2. Advertisement

molly777
    is amused by people who think they know everything, but don't really know anything at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love

Dd & pg mentioned

I would DEFINITELY try Maca. However, it has to be a certain kind and form. I conceived my Dd on the first try and figured we would have the same exp w/#2. Not so. When every test my Dh & I had showed nothing wrong and 4 cycles of Clomid showed nice size follicles but no preg we decided to go natural. We started ttc 10/05. Used Clomid 9/05, 10/05, 11/05 & 1/06. Began Vitex 2/06 and still did not conceive but I do think it helped a little with my cycle not that it was that off but it helped with recovering from the Clomid. I started reading something on another Board about Maca and it seemed to have a lot of success stories. However when they were successful it seemed to happen within the 1st 3 months of use. I did ignore the ones that said "Maca helped me. This was our 2ND month ttc and I was so worried after the first month". I paid attention to those that had been ttc for a while and there were many successes. It recommended "Navitas Organic Maca Root" purchased on Amazon. I being the skeptic wanted to make sure this wasn't someone who had a link to make money off of my purchases waited a while and did some more research. I finally ordered it in 5/06 and started it right away but it was the middle of my cycle. BUT when I had my period I definitely could tell something was going on. My periods are usually pretty painless w/cramps on the 1st day and teeny tiny little clots. This month I was having pretty bad cramps in the am of my 1st day, went to the bathroom and passed a quarter to half dollar size clot. After which my cramps were gone.
    We made an appt w/RE but could not get in until August. So Dh and I decided to take the summer off obsessing realizing it wasn't happening. We both still took the Maca and I had actually purchased a capsule filler. June cycle was the first full month that I took Maca and I was shocked when I finally saw that BFP. I am 29 wks today. It was basically 1 1/2 months of using the Maca. I still have a full, unopened bag of Maca in my cupboard. I can't say for absolute certain that it was the Maca but it definitely helped. It is said to increase the Hubbies sperm count by 200%. My Dh was normal in that area but we figured it wouldn't hurt.

This has been a long response but I know what you are feeling and I wanted to give you some hope that there are natural things out there that do work. If you want more specific info on the Maca let me know. Oh and don't get any capsules from the Health food store it has to be in powder form. And I tried the capsules while I waited for my order to come in. I would've had to take 15-20 caps to get the required amount to do anything. Best of Luck!

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Molly that's great news about the Maca powder...but how the heck did you swallow that Maca?? I had some powder in my fridge and literally could NOT stomach the smell, taste of it... it was like drinking back dried up cow fertilizier if you know what I mean!!

I have a link for general fertility herbs if this helps - I once read of a regime for increasing the LH surge hormone and helping regulate and ovulate involving 3 herbs - Vitex, Dong Quai (Angelica) and Black Cohosh.
    here is the link:
    http://www.babyzone.com/preconception/herbs/Default.asp

also there is a glossary of what activity of each distinct herb is.

Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read some other interesting news about the Maca at this link:

http://www.vitaminstohealth.com/maca-root.html
    and yet also wonder about how it is used for peri-menopausal stuff and HRT replacement...?? I know it is an overall hormone balancer and helps blend in the menstrual cycle regulator yet doesn't specifically say for women's fertility...?
    guess the proof is in the pudding for Molly777!!

g'luck with it I might think about adding it in before ttc time if it is only for a month or so but I really want to know how to make it be more palatable as I was literally gagging and near vomiting on the stuff EVEN AFTER adding it into smoothie stuff...
    bleeeccch!!!
    Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :

prayingfor#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the capsules that the health food store guy reccommended to me:

http://www.macasure.com/aboutmaca.htm

He said he doesn't reccommend the other ones he has on his shelf because you have to take at least 3-4 times as many in a day. I just don't know if it's because he gets a better profit off this one or if it's actually better.
    I see that they have it in powder form too though after checking the website... maybe I'll see if he can order some in for me.
    I wonder if it would be ok to take at the same time as Clomid or if I should wait until I'm not taking anymore.

molly777
    is amused by people who think they know everything, but don't really know anything at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    [QUOTE=BC-Tabithalyn]how the heck did you swallow that Maca??

I mixed it with OJ and plugged my nose to chug it. I split it up in 3 1/2 Tbsp servings in 8 oz of OJ. I got to the point where I thought I couldn't drink it anymore & that is why I bought the empty capsules and the capsule filler so I could just swallow the 15-20 caps a day. It was after I used the homemade capsules that I got the BFP.

[QUOTE=prayingfor#2]I wonder if it would be ok to take at the same time as Clomid or if I should wait until I'm not taking anymore.

I don't know about Maca but I know you shouldn't use Vitex and Clomid. I know on the other Board they kept saying that the Maca was a food I think from the radish family not an herb. I don't know if they will block this but the site is "ovusoft". It is under Complementary and Alternative Methods and is called "Maca Root got me pregnant last time". It is very long and the questions repeat themselves but it is worth the read and I guess encouragement. They also discuss the reasons to buy the powder over the capsules. I purchased the Amazon Navitas over the other powders mentioned b/c they seemed to have the most preg from Navitas.

Danasingle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spend several hundred dollars a month on supplements and TCM herbs. (am I a supplementaholic? )

Yes, you do not take Vitex and Clomid in the same cycle.

The nutritionist at the store replied to my comment about the yucky TCM herbs I was taking vs the supplements and he said, 'We can out-Chinese the Chinese any day.' Meaning vitex, etc. was better.

I'm too chicken to add another pill/powder to my regime. My poor body must be whirling with all the stuff I'm putting in it. It sure is 'talking' to me while I do this body cleanse! Ugh. I feel like I have the flu.

Dana

prayingfor#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great info!! I just bought some. I did some searches on Maca and found that it's also great for lowering Cholesterol and my dh just found out that his is really high and he'll have to go on meds if he can't lower it soon so it will have a double benefit for him!! I'm still not sure if I will take it at the same time as Clomid but at least dh will be able to use it if I don't.

MsMay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Any luck?

Hello this is an old thread, but I want to reply to it anyway.
    I did a goggle search for Maca and fertility and it brought me here.
    I have been taking maca for 2 months now, and so far I am content with it's benefits.
    Did it help you?

MsMay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Also I would like to add that I use my maca in smoothies and cant taste a thing. It is also good in chocolate rice milk. The two really compliment each other. I have no problems with the taste

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast