FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When do kids start having spelling tests?

Just curious. DS is doing phonetic spelling and he reads 2 grades above level so he sees many words in print and knows how to pronounce them but when asked to write them he doesn't know how except the funky phonetic spelling. If he is reading these words and recognizing them in print, shouldn't he be taught to spell them correctly? He knows the words are spelled wrong when he uses the phonetics and often asks how they are spelled.
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gosh...it's been a long time...but I think first grade was when Lindsay started spelling test....
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

Christina
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    First grade...I was just talking to our neighbor a few weeks ago about this. Her daughter had 5 words each week for the first half of the year. Then they added another word each month so that by the last month of the school year the kids had 10 words a week.
    Christina proud mommy to DS 12/00

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In our school they start In January of 1st grade.

Janice
    Laura & Elizabeth 11/29/00

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So do you think if a child is reading at a 2nd grade level (and is 5 years old) they should be spelling words on a 1st or 2nd grade level?
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

larasmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    first grade

morynn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-MAV
    So do you think if a child is reading at a 2nd grade level (and is 5 years old) they should be spelling words on a 1st or 2nd grade level?
    That is kind of a tough one. For us, Kenzie was reading words by sounding them out, but it took her a while to be able to spell them by their sounds. I think as your DS is going through school, he will pick up on spelling very quickly. Once Kenzie figured out that she could spell them by writing the letter that goes with each sound, she took off! She still recognizes alot of words that she can't spell...mainly words that aren't phonetic...like circle, trace, knife. She can look at them and know what they are, but she can't spell them blind.
    Kim
    Kenzie (9) & Tanner (4)

Love isn't about finding the perfect person, but learning to see an imperfect person perfectly!
    Author Unknown

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

I'm on my way...-20 lbs...57 to go! 1 pound at a time!

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure - but I have a feeling that everyone has the same words for spelling. But I guess we will find out.

If that's the case it will be so easy for Laura (who I've talked about with you before). She is an excellent speller - can already spell words like "because."

Janice
    Laura & Elizabeth 11/29/00

Joey
    has a status...Canuck Follower
    Post Thanks / Like
    Connor started minor spelling tests in grade one but began having weekly ones in grade 2. I can't see where it would be a problem for your son. If they do the same thing our school did, then the kids are given a list of 10 words at the beginning of the week and they use those words during the week over and over in various sentences. They also bring the words home on the 2nd day to practice with mom. They would have the test on the Friday.

At those early levels, our school gives out 7 words for the kids who are having trouble with their reading and adds 3 extra much harder words for those that are acing the tests.

Just remember that at this age, spelling goes in one side of the head and slops quickly out the other side. Your child could well know how to spell and word today and 4 wks down the road will get it totally wrong. It isn't until around grade 4 that many things start sticking. That's why teachers each year will repeat words that you think are too ridiculously easy for your child.
    Joey
    Connor - 33 wkr - now 19 yrs old - Feb 1995
    Callie - stillborn at 34 wks, Jan 19, 1999
    Caden - 33 wkr - now 12 yrs old -Jun 2001