FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

jbr225
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

One sac much smaller than the other

I'm 13 weeks and 2 days with twin girls, conceived via IVF. Both babies measure about the same, but Baby A's amniotic sac has been less than half as big as Baby B's, right from the first ultrasound. Both babies have strong heartbeats and we just did the first trimester screening, which came out normal.

We're worried about any implications of one sac being smaller than the other. Has anyone had similar experiences?

2. Advertisement

Traysee
    is happy :o)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am exactly 11 weeks tomorrow and my beans measure 4 days apart in size with one measuring exactly on time and the other being 4 days behind. Baby A was found first and is text book. Baby B was found several days later and his gestational sac is much smaller than baby As but just like you both heartbeats are about the same. They gave baby A a 95% survival rate and baby B a 60% survival rate based only on the smaller sac size. I started getting really stressed over the differences in sac size. I did some googling and found that the sac needs to be a minimum of only 5mm larger than the crown-rump length. I called my OBGYN to ask him about the sac difference because it was really upsetting me. I asked him to not compare the two babies to each other but to look at the second baby on its own and if the sac was big enough to support life. He said the sac size was fine. Under 5mm and it is more likely that I would lose baby B. B's sac is 8mm larger than the baby. He is also very hard to see and does not come in nearly as clear as baby A, so he thinks the numbers could be off because he is hard to get a clear shot of. I have an appointment on Tuesday the 23rd so I am crossing my fingers that B is still there and doing what he should be.

Did they give you any actual measurements for both the baby and the gestational sac? Is the baby growing appropriately. Is the sac growing proportionally with the baby?

They talked to me about the down syndrome ultrasound and I got scared thinking they were bringing it up because of the small sac. So I asked if a small gestational sac was indicative of down's syndrome or any other issues. He said no, but that whenever a fetus is not growing normally that could indicate a chromosomal abnormality. I took that to mean that it is more important that the baby grows properly and not so much the sac (aside from the 5mm minimum). I have also read it is not uncommon for twin babies to measure up to a week apart without any problems. Have you done any googling about what small or slow growing gestational sacs can mean?

I am a big worrier so I know exactly how you feel. I hope you come back to the board and keep updating with progress reports!
    Tracey
    me 36, DH 39
    IUI #5 on my birthday worked! BFP 9/29/10
    Morgan and Amelia arrived on 5/13/11

jbr225
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tracey,

Both babies' sacs are growing proportionately. Baby A's sac has been much smaller since the first ultrasound. The perinatal doc said that despite it's small sac, Baby A has enough amniotic fluid to grow normally. The doc also said that it is important to watch if the sac keeps in proportion going forward. The babies themselves are just 2 days apart and their heartbeats are comparable - 140-150 ish. I have the same problem with the doc finding it hard to see the smaller baby, but she was able to see it better with a vag ultrasound compared to a tummy one.
    Last edited by jbr225; 11-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Me (31) DH (36)
    2006 - Conceived naturally, but MC
    Mar 2010 - IUI, BFP
    May 2010 - MC
    Started IVF in Aug
    ET - Sep 5
    2 Transferred, none frozen after PGD
    Twin Girls!!
    Due Date - May 25, 2011

Traysee
    is happy :o)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just had my sono yesterday at 11w3d. So far so good. Baby A's heartbeat is 150 and Baby B's is 145.

Baby B's sac got much bigger in the last two weeks. I had read somewhere that drinking a lot of water could help make the gestational sac grow bigger. At my last appointment they said I needed to drink more so I concentrated on drinking extra the past two weeks and there was a huge increase in size for Baby B's small sac. He didn't give me measurements but you could see it was much larger. The Dr. was pretty happy and said he is very optimistic. I don't know if it was really because of the water but I'll take it! I read we need to drink at least 1/2 a gallon of water a day if not more. I have been aiming for (4) or more 16 oz bottles of water daily. I should buy stock in Dasani.

He did say more than once that he thinks a lot of baby B's measurements are probably off because of his placement and that he thinks he is measuring off because of "technical difficulties" getting a good view. We have never been able to see B clearly and completely. He tried to do an abdominal but then switched to a vaginal which came out with a much clearer shot. I think I am too chubby for an abdominal. ( He is hoping that in the future the abdominal view will give us better measurements of B since the angle of view is so off for him by going vaginally.

Today's ultrasound was so amazing. Baby A was moving like crazy, I saw her kick her legs and throw around her arms. It was the best ultrasound ever. Baby B didn't move much at all and thats kinda freaking me out but the Dr. said I just missed it and that he was wiggling before. He tried to get him to move but he wouldn't. I'm a little paranoid about that. Have you had that happen at all? I think I am going to post a new thread and ask everyone about this too.
    Tracey
    me 36, DH 39
    IUI #5 on my birthday worked! BFP 9/29/10
    Morgan and Amelia arrived on 5/13/11

jbr225
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tracee

LOL, my Baby A was moving around and Baby B was still too. But in another ultrasound one week later both babies were moving.
    Me (31) DH (36)
    2006 - Conceived naturally, but MC
    Mar 2010 - IUI, BFP
    May 2010 - MC
    Started IVF in Aug
    ET - Sep 5
    2 Transferred, none frozen after PGD
    Twin Girls!!
    Due Date - May 25, 2011