FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

cmpchica717
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Abnormal Gestational Sac twin B

I had an u/s sound yesterday at 5w6d, we saw two gestational and yolk sacs. Twin A looked great all around however twin B had a very abnormally sized gestational sac. It was quite smaller than twin A, however the yolk sac was very similar in size to twin A. The Dr couldn't zoom in enough to see heartbeats. Is that typically normal at this early in the game? We go in for another u/s next friday because we did not see fetal poles either of obviously.

Dr said we should prepare ourselves for the loss of Twin B. Has anyone else gone through this and had the other twin come out fine?
    Courtney 26 (POF) & DH 26 (Perfect)
    IVF #1 9.18.08 - BFP - twin boys, RIP 1.31.09 @22 weeks
    FET #1 6.18.09 - BFN

FET #2 1.9.10 - BFP
    BETA's #1 315, #2 1542, #3 3,765

1st u/s 2.6.10, 6weeks 5days @115bpm
    one perfect little peanut

5.4.10 - It's a boy!!! EDD 9.27.10

2. Advertisement

Sarah26
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think positively and see how things go at your next u/s. At my 5.5w u/s, I think we only saw one regular gestational sac and one smudge that might be a sac. I guess the u/s machine at my dr's office is kind of old or grainy, as the nurse never pointed out the yolk sac, etc. At my next u/s, sac A was bigger, and sac B was finally a gest sac. Now I'm 17.5w and everything is looking great for both. I've read other good posts where the gest sacs were off in size but the yolk sacs looked fine, etc. And no one expects to see a hb in both babies this early. Maybe around 7w you might see both.

I think doctors are supposed to prepare you for a worst case situation, then you can be happy when things turn out better than that. But the cost can be unnecessary stress and worry. My dr did point out that a lot of moms experience vanishing twin syndrome but don't know it as they don't get such early u/s's.

I hope your next u/s goes well. I think your 5w/6d one sounds fairly common.

mamamolly
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is completely normal NOT to hear heartbeats at the stage you're at. You were basically at the very earliest it's possible, but sometimes it takes until near the end of the 6th week. It's also not uncommon to have different sizes gestational sacs. I've had 3 ultrasounds thus far. The first one was at 6w1d-- we saw 2 sacs, 2 hb, but 1 sac was measuring behind (and looked tiny). And the next u/s a week later, still the two sacs were different sizes, but the actually (tiny) fetuses were about the same, and both measuring a few days behind. At my most recent u/s (8w2d), the one in the smaller sac is actually measuring ahead by a few days and is the bigger of the two. At the first u/s they said it could go either way-- it could reduce down to one or it could stay two. With all twin pregnancies about 20-25% do reduce down. But now my odds are looking up (she now says it's like 90-95% sure) (although definitely no guarantees until we at least get out of the first trimester). Good luck!

cmpchica717
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for that info. I love our Dr and I had a feeling he was just preparing us for the worst so in case twin B does pull through we will be overjoyed!

DH and I are both staying as optimistic as possible and if things don't work out well of course we are going to be just tickled with one happy healthy baby!
    Courtney 26 (POF) & DH 26 (Perfect)
    IVF #1 9.18.08 - BFP - twin boys, RIP 1.31.09 @22 weeks
    FET #1 6.18.09 - BFN

FET #2 1.9.10 - BFP
    BETA's #1 315, #2 1542, #3 3,765

1st u/s 2.6.10, 6weeks 5days @115bpm
    one perfect little peanut

5.4.10 - It's a boy!!! EDD 9.27.10

about2bmom3
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    HI cmp- I have posted this before, so if some of you ladies have read it, sorry for the repeat, but hope this gives you some hope-

After ttc for 3 years (since DD turned 2) we finally were refered to a wonderful RE who did extensive testing and recommended iui with inj...on the first try BFP!!!!! Our first u/s was at 5w3d (very early) and all they saw was one gest sac..no yolk no fetal pole....RE was not very optomistic. Went back at 6w4d and HB!!! Baby looked great but they saw what they thought was a blood clot and told me to come back in one week. At 8w1d we went back and that was no blood clot...it was another baby TWINS! of course though baby B's sac was VERY small (measuring 6w3d) and they told us that the baby had less of a chance than A did. Well what do they know? I am now 27w2d pg with fraternal boy twins!!! Baby b has always measured a little smaller (at 24 weeks he was 1 lb 5oz and his bro was 1 lb 9 oz) but he is great! My peri believes that he was concieved a few days behind baby a and that is why...

Until your next ultrasound, please try to stay positive and excited about your BFP! you never know what will happen, and I think whatever is meant to will, but i just wanted to give you a positive story...
    good luck!

Amy-28 DH-27
    hx PCOS
    DD 06/06/03 clomid baby
    1st IUI 04/08 BFP!!!
    EDD 01/09/09 fraternal boys
    38 weeks December 26- COME ON DECEMBER!