FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lalalalala
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

What week did you deliver identical twins?

Did anyone go past 36 weeks with identical twins? I'll be 36 weeks on Tuesday and am MISERABLE. I've read some studies that twins who share a placenta should be born no later than about 36 weeks. My peri hasn't mentioned that but I was going to bring it up at my 36-week appt. Just wondering if anyone went further than that and how it went.

I'm hoping childbirth can't be any worse than these last few weeks carrying multiples!

2. Advertisement

Jrmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    my friend just had her identical twins at 36w2d and they are fine. She went into labor on her own. Have you tried walking? That might get things going for you
    Mommy to: M (7/06), M (3/08), E(3/08)

marie carla
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did 36 weeks and 6 days but w/ fraternal. wasnt on bedrest or anything

LittleaBige
    has no status.
    PCOS
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Innocent
    I had Fraternal but at one point my RE did tell me that if I were expecting identicals he wouldn't let me go any longer then 37 weeks. I would ask your DR. about it for sure!! I know you are miserable but hang in there it is more than worth it (I know you are probably tired of hearing that too)!!

Christi
    Me (30) DH (37)
    Taylor (9) 12/08/2001
    Ava and Ethan (4) 07/10/2007

marquess78
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have always felt babies should choose their birthday. i figure twins have as much right as singletons.

are they(meaning the medical professionals) pushing you into a surgical birth as well? if they are not mo-mo twins then you should be fine having a vaginal delivery.

sorry if i seem bitter. i dont mean too. best of luck. and try some red raspberry leaf tea. i had a baby fairly quickly after i started drinking it. just remember babies know best.

good luck
    Shannon (32)
    Charlie (38)
    Terridaun (10)
    GS x 3
    Expecting My Own B/G Twins
    Scheduled C/S 11/23/10

marguerita3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! With my b/g (frat) twins, we went 38 weeks, to the day, which was as long as the docs would let me go. Apparently with twins, they can become severely growth-restricted and face really scary consequences. I do think docs have saved some sets of twins through modern intervention, though I do tend to defer to "nature" in most cases! With our monochorionic-diamniotic identicals (girls), our perinatologist just clarified for me yesterday that 36+ weeks is fine, as long as they are delivered before 37 weeks. I thought they meant by 36 weeks (i.e. 35+weeks), and our neonatologist told us that extra week was huge for them. So, in short, I am 31 weeks now and INSANELY jealous of where you are! I have 5.5 more weeks! Hang in there for a few more days, it might make the difference for your two! What are you having?

Tara

kristyv
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it truly safe to delivery identical twins vaginally if they share a placenta?

From what I've read, acute TTTS can occur. Basically, as one baby is being delivered, the blood is squeezed out of that baby and basically pushed into the other baby. It's very dangerous.

So it's not just mo-mo twins that face complications during vaginal birth...the di-mo's also need to be careful.

We're expecting identicals and I definitely will push for a c-section birth. These babies are precious...I want to get them here safely.

lianyla
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine

Exclamation loss mentioned/pregnancy/children mentioned

I just wanted to bump this up and update the information for anyone who is expecting IDENTICAL twins..

Being pregnant with IDENTICAL twins is absolutely different than FRATERNAL twin pregnancies. There is really nothing that is the same.

From the moment you discover that your babies are sharing a placenta-- you are HIGH RISK.

Under no circumstances should an ID pregnancy go past 36 weeks!!! EVER!

The chances of Acute TTTS go through the roof at that pt.

My Peri's office does not go past 35 1/2 weeks!! I had mine at 35 weeks and 2 days because that is WHAT THEY DO.

There is no "waiting for their birthday" thing here. This is different.

I have done extensive research on TTTS and had a VERY good friend who was also pg w/ id boys WITH ME who lost hers and 36 weeks!! I nearly died.

My Peri and myself made the decision THAT DAY that we would deliver them at 35 weeks TO BE SAFE!!

Anyway, do some research on Twin To Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Contact Dr. De Lia for more info. It is even being recommended that ID's be born at 32 weeks now!!! So... PLEASE if you are expecting identical twins.. Mono Di or MOMO-- doesn't matter! It's the sharing placenta part that is the issue!!! (With MOMO's you will be on hospital bedrest beginning at 26 weeks.)

Often people do not understand how serious being pregnant with mono-di twins can be. Please do your research and listen to YOUR gut.

Having fraternal twins is not the same. Frats have their own blood supply and own nutrient supply.. They could go until their "chosen'' Birthday. Not so with id's!!

Just wanted to reiterate this point as I think way too many people have/give incorrect information.

PM me with any questions.

My Id boys are 11 months old now and perfect as can be!

FYI- had them at 35 weeks and they were 6 lbs each! I've never looked back. I knew I would never forgive myself if I waited.

Good luck and Congrats!!!!

SC-blu_sky
    has no status.
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Happy
    I think if you are pregnant with identicals and you have concerns it is best to speak with your doctor. There are many different scenerios with identicals and not all identicals share a placenta. Every twin pregnancy just as every pregnancy is different. Although you can recieve information about other people's situations here you need to remember that people here are not your doctor and don't know your situation as your doctor does. You need to listen to your doctor first and foremost.
    Liz (37) DH (37)
    3.5 years ttc, 2 surgeries & 9 medicated cycles, end result priceless!
    Sofia and Alexander 11/14/06 @ 34w2d We are 6!!!
    Proud member of the 777 club!

lianyla
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    Did you blusky, have identicals? Just curious because if you did then you have a lot of good background on the situation.

Indeed you are correct that ID's can have their own sacs and placentas, however, there is NO WAY to tell that they are identical while in utero so that is irrelevant. Di-Di identicals are in the same boat as fraternals due to the fact that they do not share anything!!!

My point is, it doesn't matter if they are di di ids because you can't tell until after they're born that they are identical anyway.

Obviously, everyone on these boards is receiving prenatal care (let's hope anyway.) But people are giving out information when they themselves have not been through a mono di pregnancy or mo mo pregnancy. There is a lot of research that one needs to do when they are pregnant in that situation.

It is important that everyone pregnant with mono di or mo mo twins seek High Risk Care and has a Peri or MFM that is very experienced in these types of pregnancies.

Your Doc SHOULD know best but only if he/she has experience w/ these pregnancies.. unfortunately, not all docs/peri's do..

So, indeed, listen to your doc, but study yourself too. You are your own best advocate and will, inevitably, be given a lot of information by people who have not been in the situation of being pregnant with high risk identical twins.

This is just to help people in THAT particular situation only. I had a WONDERFUL Perinatology team who I trusted explicitly. Not all Peri's are the same either.

Visit the TTTSFoundation website if you would like more information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast