FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lalalalala
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Vaginal Delivery w/ Twins

I'm at 31 weeks right now and both babies are head down. Baby A has been that way for a while and my peri thinks that's how she'll stay. Given that position, they recommend a vaginal delivery. Has anyone here done a vaginal delivery with twins and what did you think? I feel like everyone I know with twins had a c-section... Wondering what's best. Thanks!

2. Advertisement

torreslpn
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 35w with g/g twins and both of mine have been head down for quite some time. I am going to try a vaginal birth since that is how I had my first 2 children. The thing is when Baby A comes out there is much more room for Baby B and he/she may end up turning. Then comes the hard part either the doctor has to try and rotate the baby to a head down position, deliver the baby breech or worse case scenario you may end up with a c-section to. It's alot to consider, just talk it over with your doctor and you will do what's best for you.

Good luck
    Becky

oyagain
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    At my 28 wek appt. I discussed delivery with my dr. I've got one head down and one head up and he said that's actually very good, cuz as long as twin #2 isn't a lot bigger than #1, he can grab the feet and pull her out. I wouldn't have to 'labor out' #2. But mzsk is right, you don't know after #1 comes out, what #2 is gonna do...
    For ease and convenience, I think a lot of hospitals/dr.s are inclined to deliver by c-section, they can schedule it, it's very straightforward medically, and a lot of mom's are even requesting it for the same reason. Gives them a sense of control over timelines, etc.
    I know they want to avoid mom going thru both vaginal and c-section.
    Talk over all the possibilities with your doc, i let mine know that I'd really like to deliver vaginally and he said barring any surprises, we'd go for it. But he did tell me that some women really want a c-section, so i was extra glad i made my preference known.

Ginachka
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just had my twins on 9/28 and both boys were head down. Well I have attempted vaginal delivery and after 6 hours of horrible contractions and no progress (i was not dilated at all but broke water earlier) we went for a c-section. I say if you can do it go for it. You will be up and running the next day
    Gina (34) & Dmitri (34)
    5 IUIs--BNF
    IVF#1 IVF-Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur--chemical
    IVF#2 ER 2/ 19 ET 2/ 22 11dp3dt BFP Beta#1=60.8; Beta#2 13dp=162; 20dp=3,208.1; 28dp=24,000
    Robert Ethan and Preston James have arrived on 9/ 28/ 07 We are so in love

marie carla
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Ginacka both my fraternal twins were head down and I REALLY wanted vaginal delivery..well I labored for about 10 hrs (with epidural after the first hour) and only got to 4 cm dilated..never progressed after that so they did a csection on me..I was terrified but the end result is priceless....goodluck on your decision.

My twins are now 11 days old!

MomNC
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My twins were both vaginal. They were very premature, so much smaller than yours. But they were both vaginal.

Nicholas was head down.....Caeden was breech, and born in her amniotic sac.
    VERY proud mommy to ALL my children:

The Dynamic Duo
    Nicholas Aragorn - Officially seven!!
    Caeden Tobiah - Officially seven!!

And my very special angels ........
    Sawyer Evan and Dylan Annelise - given in love to the Universe on August 18, 2007
    Sadie- My spontaneous singleton - m/c March 25, 2008

Meesh2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my twins vaginally. Baby A was head down and Baby B was breech. The peri did a breech extraction, where he literally reached his hand up into my uterus, grabbed baby B's feet and pulled her out (Baby A already had paved the way so to speak). It was awsome. I was up and around 1/2 hour after the birth and I think I was on a high for a long time after that. I've since had a c-section with my singleton and it was much much harder, physically and emotionally. So, just my opinion, but if you have the chance to go vaginally, go for it!
    Michelle - 33

Blessed mom of 5 via IVF

IVF #1 BFP twin girls 11/01
    FET #1 m/c
    FET #2 m/c
    FET #3 BFN
    IVF #2 BFN
    FET #4 m/c
    FET #5 BFP girl 8/05
    IVF #3 m/c
    FET #6 m/c
    IVF #4 BFP twin girls 10/11

LittleaBige
    has no status.
    PCOS
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Quote Originally Posted by torreslpn
    I am 35w with g/g twins and both of mine have been head down for quite some time. I am going to try a vaginal birth since that is how I had my first 2 children. The thing is when Baby A comes out there is much more room for Baby B and he/she may end up turning. Then comes the hard part either the doctor has to try and rotate the baby to a head down position, deliver the baby breech or worse case scenario you may end up with a c-section to. It's alot to consider, just talk it over with your doctor and you will do what's best for you.

Good luck
    Becky
    This happened to me. Both were head down. Baby A came out vaginally. Then baby B turned, Dr. tried for 1/2 hour to either deliver him breech or head first, somehow he was stuck crosswise and would not turn to be delivered either way. His heart rate went into the 50's very suddenly and I had to have him by emergency C-Section. They never figured out why he was just "stuck" inside me like that and they couldn't trun him. In any event it was scary and if I had to do it over again I would request a C-Section. I went through too much to get pregnant and then to get my babies into the world healthy and I have horrible dreams sometimes that the DR. was not able to get him out and he died because of my choice to try vaginal. But in saying that my OB has delivered over 230 twins and I was only the second one he had to do a section on after the first came out vaginally. Talk to your Dr and get a feel on how he is in emergency situations, if mine had not reacted in time my little boy would not be here!!

Christi
    Me (30) DH (37)
    Taylor (9) 12/08/2001
    Ava and Ethan (4) 07/10/2007

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My girls were both head down and were born vaginally. I was induced at 36 weeks due to HELLP syndrome.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you all went completely smoothly. Baby B went into distress after Baby A was born and they had to get her out of there FAST - they suctioned her out and I ended up with a 3rd degree tear in addition to an episiotomy. She was fine but I then had a severe post partum hemorrhage and needed 2 blood transfusions (one that day, one the next). But, my doc said the recovery was still better than if I had had a C-section.

Janice
    Laura & Elizabeth 11/29/00

oyagain
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK - so I'm back from another Dr. appt - this time with the high risk dr. who was totally steering me towards c-section, telling me scary stories of 2nd baby problems during vaginal delivery, that I've waited so long to have these babies, why risk it, etc...I left in tears. I think he was showing off a bit for a medical student tagging along.
    My 2nd baby is now vertex (see previous post - she was breech 4 days ago!!)
    I know that the 2nd baby can turn until the last minute - but I was pretty disconcerted to hear that my OB and MFM were on completely different pages. OB said breech delivery 'no problem' - MFM said he didn't wat to 'get to know me that well - heheheh' meaning shoving his whole arm into the birth canal to extract a breech baby.
    OBVIOUSLY...we want to do what's best for the babies, but some of it is a philosophical thing too - so many scheduled c-sections these days...i'm pretty confused.
    We're headed to our prenatal multiples class this weekend and hoping to discuss with some other people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast