FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Michilli
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

2 Sacs, different sizes, one HB and one fetal pole...

Hi, Need some help and reassurance.

Went in for third us today. We have 2 sacs, one with a hb, one with a developing fetal pole. US tech this is common for twins and that next week should be the determining week if this is truly twins or not. US tech is calling one sac Baby A and one Baby B. The tech is fairly certain this is a twin pregnancy. The dr. on the other hand thinks that the smaller sac is going to be a vanishing twin. How can they have such varying opinions?

Has anyone else experienced this?

I would appreciate any feedback. We go back next week for another US.

This is killing me, I am so excited over the prospect of two babies, the thought of one not making it is very sad for me.

Michelle
    Last edited by Michilli; 07-13-2006 at 02:00 PM.

2. Advertisement

Kristip
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michelle,

Congratulations on your pregnancy first. Depending how far along you are, Drs can be uncertain and hagte to commit to something that is this big. We were told at 5 weeks we had 2 sacs and at 7 weeks were able to confirm they were still viable, but one was smaller, so we actually had to wait until about 9 weeks to know they both were going to make it. It is a long road, but worth it in the end. I have now made it to 27 weeks and waiting another 10 for my babies!

Good luck

Michilli
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kristip, did your sacs both have a heartbeat?

IVF4me
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I was in the same situation as you. At my first u/s we saw two gestational sacs (5w3d) At my second u/s when I was 6w1d we saw two sacs but only one had a heartbeat. The second sac was 5 days behind the other sac and the RE's nurse said the second sac may not be viable BUT they were still calling it a twin pregnancy. I went for my 3rd u/s 5 days later and well we ended up having two sacs with heartbeats! They were both 120bpm each. My RE did say the second sac is still smaller then the first BUT he also said this can be quite normal for twin pregnancies. I'm hoping that it's still twins when I go for my first OB appt in two more weeks. Unfortunately I have to wait till I'm 10 weeks and my RE released me at 7 weeks.

Diane

BrookeC
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is common for twins to be slightly different in size early on - how far along are you?

Congrats on your pg!
    Brooke
    & 9-02
    "You can Never go down the Drain"..... Mr. Rogers

Michilli
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Six weeks along. The US tech said the smaller sac is about 2 1/2 days behind the first.

BrookeC
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think it's too early to give up on baby B. 7w is usually when they expect to see a h/b. Did you do IVF or IUI?
    Sending many +++ thoughts your way. Please keep us posted!
    Brooke
    & 9-02
    "You can Never go down the Drain"..... Mr. Rogers

shaking2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Michelle,
    Congrats on your pregnancy!!!
    I want to tell you my story, but please don't give up hope for that baby, I think that sac is not too far behind the first, and also agree with these ladies that the hb is normally seen after 7 weeks.

When I went in for an u/s at 6 weeks due to LOTS of bleeding, there was 2 sacs, one with fetal pole and hb and the other no hb. The second sac was also measuring 5 days behind the first. So we went a week later same thing. At week 8 they determined that it was a vanishing twin, no hb was ever detected in the second sac. They thought all along this might be, that the bleeding was due to this second sac. At I went along the sac just stopped growing. At 8 weeks I started seeing a peri, that watched the sac until is was gone which was about 12 or 13 weeks.
    I know how you feel though, I was excited and scared and HOPED for that second sac to have a hb. I then came to realize that I was lucky at this point to have one good baby there.

Please don't give up and I wish you the best of luck...I hope your little beans are growing!!!!!!!!!!
    Sharon
    Me 32 DH 34
    06-02-06

peanut8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in a similar situation as well. I had an u/s yesterday at 6w2d. They saw my one sac they had seen at 5w and it had a heartbeat. This time they also saw another sac that is much smaller than the other and there is no heartbeat. I go back next Friday so now I am wondering if it is possible that I am having twins. They didn't tell me the measurements of either sac.

peanut8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michelle, When is your next u/s?