FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

austintx123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Small for Gestational Age (SGA) w/ one twin....anyone else have this?

I am 33 weeks pregnant with fraternal twins and went in to the peri's yesterday for my sonogram. Well....all along one of the babies has been a little bit smaller than the other. Well, now there seems to be a significant difference in their size....needless to say we are somewhat stressing out.

Baby A- weighs almost 5 lbs & Baby B- weighs 3 lbs 12 oz

So Baby B is measuring about 31 weeks in size compared to Baby A.

I have read up some that this happens in about 10% of all twin pregnancies.....but why?

Is it that one placenta is just taking over? Or has the placenta stopped working? It seems like my smaller baby is starving and I want to do something.

And then we have to wait a whole week until they check them again.

We have been sooo proactive and careful with this pregnancy because carrying twins is delicate.....

All this time my mind set has been "keep the babies in" as long as we can....and now keeping the smaller baby in might not be a good thing.....

I am trying hard to surrender to this so that it doesn't stress me out but its sooo hard.....and my DH is taking it soooo hard......is it crazy to worry about having a "smaller" "slower" baby? I want soooo much to embrace any outcome because we have wanted a family for soooooooo long....but now we are presented with this.

I won't let myself go there.....I know its too soon to tell......I just needed to vent some of my fears.

Maria

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ttc 4 + years
    Undiagnosed (female low # of follicles & male borderline ASA)
    5 Failed IUI's (chlomid 50 mgs)
    MC- Jan 2005 (8 weeks gestation) ( )
    Surgeries: LAP & Hysteroscopy (found mild Endometriosis & Polyps)
    IVF #1 late July/early August w ICSI
    Expecting Twins ?/?- 33wks

2. Advertisement

bebe
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    U/S weights at 33 weeks can be off by up to a pound. Have you had one in the last 2 weeks to compare growth to?

FYI:

My twins were born at 33 weeks 5 days with one weighing 4.12 and one weighing 3.14.(The one weighing 3.14 weighed the same 2 weeks earlier on U/S) They are both completely healthy and spent only 12 days in NICU feeding/growing and learning to control their body temp.

Have you had the steriod shots incase you have to deliver early?

bebe
    Last edited by bebe; 03-01-2006 at 07:02 PM.
    ME 43 DH 40, 7-02 (Domestic Adoption), 4-05 (DE #1, IVF #5),
    (M/C, Ectopic Pregnancy, Failed Adoption)

momto2boyz
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, u/s can be off in either direction. I had one with my son the day before he was delivered and they said he was 9lbs, he was born 24 hours later at 10lbs 8 oz!

I also had twins that measured substantially different about about 30 weeks. It was more than a pound. I was intially worried but my OB wasn't.

They were born at 6.3lbs and 5.6lbs. You have to remember too sometimes that just because they are gestating at the same time doesn't mean they would be the same weight. Think of it as if it were different pregnancy. Not everyone's babies grow and/or are delivered at the same weight. My previous singleton baby was only 7lbs 8oz.

Genetically some individuals are meant to be smaller and some bigger. I wouldn't worry about weight differences alone. When paired with other things like a poor BPP then it may be a cause for concern.
    ~Alicia~
    Mom 2 Ashton(2-29-00) & Jamison(7-1-04)
    SurroMom to Bella & Noah(6-2-03)
    Egg Donor x 1 Anon through Clinic
    Egg Donor x 2 Matched Indy/Known Donation~Cycling in June, Retrieval in Montreal.

Cheering on my good friend Emily'sMom on her cycle!

bak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy we sure sound like we are in similar situation. My case I am 33 weeks Friday but at my u/s on Tuesday, Baby A weighed 3lbs. 12oz and the other 5lbs 4 oz. We do know that Baby B has a larger head, takes after my side, anyway this can cause weight to be off too. My ob is doing a stress test now each week. Baby A so far shows no sign of being stressed. We too are a little worried but agree with what others have said. At times the discrepency was about a pound, then less, and now the latest over. I think they will just monitor it. Sounds like both of our babies are on the right track. One is just flourishing a little more in my case. Funny thing is my bigger girl is the one that has a placenta inserted somewhat at an angle and they thought it could effect her size, causing her to be smaller. She has always been bigger through the entire pregnancy so maybe it is just the genetics of her.

Hope that helps, I am trying not to worry and just rest and wait and see what happens.

bak

austintx123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.....

Thank you for your reassurance.....if anything we are Super proactive about this pregnancy.....and we are now doing the following at home:
    1- Visualization w/ the smaller baby
    2- Increase my calorie and protein intake
    3- Rest

I'm definitely on the count down....estimating 20 more days to go....

If anything I was soooo surprised that the Peri and my ObGyn weren't in communication. So now everyone knows how preoccupied we are and we will be monitored closely to ensure that this isn't due to the placenta not working. Now they will be doing the stress test weekly and looking at the flow from the placenta through the umbilical cord. But they won't do growth measurements....specifically because they said that growth is not what is important but that my placenta continues to feed the smaller baby.

I really think that the Peri is so used to seeing much worse cases and just dismissed ours because everything else looks sooooo promising. I understand that but we were a bit surprised by the sudden change in progress. And thats our primary concern....is that if you look at the growth over time the baby was doing great....and now there is a sudden change.

No steroid shots so far....hopefully I can keep both babies in my belly especially the smaller one....I hear the goal is 5 pounds minimum for each.

Bak- It really does sound like our situations are similar. My babies were really close in size up until this week.

I'll keep you and your babies in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

Thanks again.
    Maria