FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    davidlee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How do I safely lose weight during pregnancy?

I am somewhat overweight (220 & 5'8"), I just found out I am pregnant with my 4th child, and I don't want to gain any more weight I was told by my mid wife that if you are overweight it is ok to lose weight instead of gain. Any body know a safe way to do this?
    type II diabetes mellitus
    Last edited by davidlee; 12-04-2007 at 09:15 PM.

2. Advertisement

Noelle2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope My doctor said NO NO dieting at all. You can maintain what you eat Do eat more than you normally do.. Your going to gain some weight.. I also I was gestational Diabetic my last pregnancy. That really kept my weight down..I had to follow low carbs like 220 a day.. I know that seems alot but I lost weight.Good luck.. im sure youll do great
    Likes deepakshah liked this post

KNITWIT
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most Doc's will tell you not to diet. However, I've had many "fluffy" friends who have lost weight during their pregnancies because of morning sickness or just better eating habits. Weight Watchers has a pregnancy meal plan so that you get the right nutrition and don't gain unnecessary weight. One thing to keep in mind is that while pregnant, is that you really need to add 500 calories a day - which isn't a lot when you look at that way.

I second the idea of sticking to a low carb program - or atleast switching to more complex carbs.

KW

davidlee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your all replies.

ChrisNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    DO NOT DIET during any pregnancy. But it isn't a bad time to control what you are eating. Start to eat a GD diet and you will not only control your sugar, but you will most likely keep your weight down. I was obese with my first 2 pregnancies and lost 30# that I didn't regain( I was 270 at start, went to 240 and was 243 after delivery) till after I gave birth with both of them.

I think that you will notice that if you eat a more controlled diet you will maintain your weight, but remember even an overweight mom will gain 15# in baby weight (baby, extra fluid, placenta, breast tissue increase) that usually is lost right away after birth.

Hugs. I can feel your concern as I was so worried with my 2 too. I definitely didn't need to gain any more weight, but baby weight isn't true weight.

Wishing you a very happy and healthy pregnancy. This is my 4th too
    CHRIS 33******* DH(my biggest baby ) 39
    Alley Cat 9.24.02
    Jo Jo BamBam 9.6.04

Gabriel b/d at 18w5d 4-28-07, Forever in my heart
    Baby Jack-Our Rainbow- 6.10.08 I'm 2 now!

Mommy to 6 Chihuahuas (RIP Petri 12.19.08 and Beanie 9.10.09), 1 Hot Dog, 1 wirehaired 40# terrier mix and 3 Odd Kitties!*Yes I live in a zoo and I like it that way !

JackieSixty
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have NEVER heard that it is okay to lose weight while pregnant and none of the books on pregnancy recommend losing any weight whatsoever. In fact, when you are overweight, gaining some weight is still recommended, although you should not gain as much weight as a woman who is not overweight.

If you are concerned about your weight while pregnant, I recommend that you check out the PCOS Diet Book. Even if you don't have PCOS, it contains meal plans that are very healthy and which may help you lose weight, although you certainly should not diet at all until after you have your baby. Of course, the PCOS Diet Book is not a "diet" in the way we typically think of them, because it requires the "dieter" to completely and permanently change their way of eating. It's also a healthy diet to follow during pregnancy, because it is balanced and low in sugar, but you may also want to supplement the information found there with the diet guidelines found in What to Expect When You're Expecting.

Betsysmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had morning sickness very badly for the first 4 months and ended up losing 14 pounds. I am now almost 37 weeks and am still down 6 pounds from where I started! So, yes, in actuality, I have gained 8 pounds so far but since I had lost more than that to begin with, it still is a negative gain. My doctor and I are both very pleased with that.

My doctor has told me about, and I have read about studies done with women who are very obese and it is actually better for them to lose weight. Here is a link to one study that I read about...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0605185550.htm

Hope this helps and good luck!!

pbcolor
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

UCLA & High Risk Pregnancies

There is a special program at UCLA in Los Angeles for overweight women during pregnancy. And in certain cases, they DO recommend that you loose weight.

You can take a look at their peri and high risk pregnancy programs on their website. They especially put women who have previously gained 60lbs or more during pregnancy into this program, because the risks are just too high for other complications.. at least that is their opinion.

And UCLA was just ranked the #1 hospital in the country.. so for what its worth.. i;d check it out.

Best of luck.

BostonMommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    During my first pregnancy I was about 200 when I got pregnant and my doctor told me to aim for not gaining but she didn't want me to lose. By the end I did gain 18 lbs but lost it plus some w/in a week of having my daughter. For me, my diet during pregnancy was healthier than it's ever been and I wish I could be more aware of what goes in my mouth when I'm not preggers.

KimAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    You definitely should not restrict calories during pregnancy, but rather adopt a healthy diet and take walks (low impact exercise). Your body will adjust. Definitely don't lose weight, though! You might even consider seeing a nutritionist. Talk to your fertility doctor or OB-GYN for additional tips.

Here are some articles about weight, fertility, and pregnancy:
    http://www.fertilityauthority.com/as...it=1&keywords=

http://www.fertilityauthority.com/li...-and-fertility

I'm sure many of us are aware that fertility conditions like PCOS are linked to obesity (and hormone imbalances that are not good for the pregnancy- risk of miscarriage, gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, preterm labor, etc. Also, being overweight during pregnancy does increase the risk of the child being overweight and having health complications.

I think it is great that you want to be healthy. Being healthy (rather than dieting) is key!

Good luck!
    Kim
    Wanna chat directly? I'm happy to share experiences and recommendations!
    Email: kim@fertilityauthority.com
    Twitter: @Griffiths1214

If you need information on multi-cycle savings and financing for IVF or egg freezing, contact our Patient Care Advocates for help or send us a message on our Facebook page.

Get Fertile Thoughts on your phone: Click for iPhone OR Android

PCOS and 2% morphology
    Clomid and IUIs didn't work
    IVF w/ICSI in April 2010- BFP!
    SCH, IC, emergency cerclage at 22 weeks
    PTL at 32 weeks, made it to 36 weeks!
    TWINS December 2010
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby #3 sometime in 2015

click to visit my blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast