FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Winterlily
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

3-hour glucose test: Failed (mult. post)

Dunno why on earth I'm surprised at this. But, had the 3-hour test on Saturday and the nurse called this morning to say I'd failed it and now officially have gestational diabetes.

To refresh your memory, because of my strong family history, age, and weight, they tested me early (I'm just over 15 weeks now). I failed the 1-hour, obviously, and was reasonably sure I'd pass the 3-hour. 85% of those who fail the first one do. Why I'm surprised that I'm in the losing 15%, I do not know.

Feeling sorry for myself? You betcha. I'm angry (okay, furious), and really worried too. Worried first of all, of course, about what this all means for the baby, then worried about how on earth I'm going to follow the stupid diet (having enough trouble trying to eat "well" now; to add all the restrictions and cans and can'ts -- no clue how I'm going to do this), and worried about having to stick my fingers FOUR times a day. I know I sound whiny, but I'm totally overwhelmed. I didn't expect this, stupidly.

Sorry for the moan. If anyone has words of comfort or has been through it and wants to tell me how it's not as bad as it sure seems now, please, I welcome your comments.

Samantha
    After 6 years of heartache, my dream finally came true on March 1, 2006. His name is Julian!

2. Advertisement

tamib3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry!

I really have no words of comfort. As I have failed the 1 hour with both of my pregnancy's but only been borderline for both of the 3 hour followups. All my doctor does for this is to just monitor my sugar at each visit. I just wanted you to know I am sorry you have to go through this and I wish you the best!
    Tami

Gift from God adopted DD 4/13/99
    DS 11/21/03
    12/22 M/C 16 week DD
    due 12/18/05 My birthday!!

Winterlily
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for the response, Tami. I really appreciate it!!

Samantha
    After 6 years of heartache, my dream finally came true on March 1, 2006. His name is Julian!

floorance
    ENERGIZED!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Hey Samantha!

I also have GD but with mine I have to take 2 insullin shots a day to go with the 4 tests a day

Honestly, the diet isn't that bad at all. It's just a matter of making sure that your carb choices are within the limits. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and have found that I really am not missing out much - except for the fast food I used to eat -

While I know it's frustrating to have these restrictions -- let me tell you a story of my 1st pregnancy. I was GD but it went undiagnosed. I gained 100#'s , my son was born 5 weeks early @ 9# 22" long. I felt like absolute crud all the time!

Now that I have the sugars under control this time -- I feel absolutely GREAT! In fact - I feel better now than I have in a LONG time - keeping your sugars level really does wonders for your baby too!

*HUGS* If you need someone to understand what you're going through -- I'm here for you!

Jules
    Julie (42) (DH) Dave (40)
    -------------------------------------
    5/23/05 = BFP IVF/ICSI/AH 1/10/06
    FET #1 - 1 =
    FET #2 - 2 =
    FET #3 - 2 =
    FET #4 - April of 2013 =
    " There can be miracles....when you believe! "

Chanteuse
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use this spreadsheet to keep me on track of what I should eat everyday. I am prediabetic and have to watch my carbs closely.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

Click on the my pyramid plan and enter your info. You might check with your Dr to make sure its in line, but I find filling it out a good reminder of what I am eating. I also bought this book that the dietician suggested. Its a bible of carbs in foods. I find it helpful as it also includes restaurant foods. It was a real eye opener for me to see what carbs are in what I would have previously considered a "safe" or "good" food.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...lance&n=283155

The Dr's Pocket Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter by Allan Borushek.

When I have to turn down a tempting treat I remind myself that nothing tastes as good as having a healthy baby feels.

HTH.

Winterlily
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that info. After posting that original message some months ago, we found that I didn't actually need to change my diet at ALL. Not one single bit. ALL of my after-meals numbers were (still are) always normal (under 120) regardless of what I ate. The only number I had a slight problem with was my fasting number, which they wanted under 95 but insisted on hovering around 100. The peri said it's the one number that I can't really affect with diet, so they put me on Glyburide 2.5 mg before bed, which brough it nicely down to about 80-85 -- where it has stayed. I've had a huge problem with this diagnosis being wrong from the beginning -- but... like I said, I never did have to follow the diet or make any changes other than the pill at night for the fasting number. I've bookmarked the sites you gave, though, as I'm just over 8 months now and of course it could still change! Thanks!

Samantha