FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    katvon3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped Growing at 6 weeks

I am now at 10 weeks. At my 8 week appt, I was told that the baby was measuring 6 weeks with no heartbeat. I was told my dates could be wrong or the baby could be small. My periods are very regular so I was pretty sure of my dates. They took blood the same day and 2 days later and called me the following Monday and told me my hcg levels were decreasing and I should expect to miscarry.

As of today, it's approximately 4 weeks since they believe the baby stopped growing and I haven't even had any spotting. I would really like this to happen naturally but nothing seems to be happening. Has anyone had a similar experience? How long should I wait for this to happen naturally? This is my first pregnancy and I'm 34 so I'm devasted and afraid to try again but also afraid to wait too long to try again. I don't know what to do.

2. Advertisement

JL06
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am so sorry for your loss. i haven't made it that far yet (4 m/c's all 5-6 weeks before heartbeats). have you been to the dr lately? they should have you come in once/week to make sure your hcg levels are decreasing. how long ago did you have hcg tested and what level was it at?
    me: 38 mthfr (A1298C hetero) DH: 36 fine
    4 unexplained m/c ,all in weeks 5-6
    So grateful and amazed to be blessed with twins

katvon3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I didn't even think to ask what the levels were. I haven't been back to the doctor since. I was told to come back after the miscarriage and have my levels checked until they go to zero and also have an ultrasound to confirm everything was gone. Since nothing has happened yet I just called the office to see about scheduling a D&C. This is not something I want to do but I feel like I'm going crazy. They are going to see if they can fit me in for the D&C on Friday and call me back. Are there any questions I should be asking? Since this was my first I don't have a history and there's no one in my family that has had an issue. I'm guessing it could just be due to my age but I'm assuming there are lots of other issues that could be going on.

JL06
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    they should check your hcg levels first before the D&C, just to make sure, and then you can ask what your levels were previously to see how much they dropped. i had a D&C my first m/c as i had a blighted ovum, i had no clue what that even was or what to ask but i had an u/s picture of a 6 week old empty sac, they said i needed a d&c and I scheduled it. i've read some stories on "wrongly diagnosed miscarriage" where things actually worked out but that isn't what usually happens. it sucks you have to go through this and the not knowing part of it too.

katvon3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like it should just happen naturally and quickly if you really are having a miscarriage. I know from reading other's remarks that it's not always the case and I've read that some people are waiting 6-8 weeks to let it happen naturally. I'm requesting to have an ultrasound before the d&c. I'm sorry to be so neurotic. I can tell from your stats that you've been through much worse. Are you trying again?

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    I'm so sorry for your loss
    Yes unfortionately it can sometimes take a long time for nature to take it's course. It's often best just to go ahead with the D&C. And it's not neurotic at all to check your HCG level and have an u/c before proceding. You have had no symptoms of m/c....I too would want to double check everything before moving on.
    Please keep us posted....
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

katvon3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shelli. I'll follow up. I go for an ultrasound tomorrow just to confirm and then the D&C on Friday morning.

JL06
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, let us know how tomorrow goes katvon3, we are hare for you! i'm trying again as soon as i can, i had m/c end of Aug and bled for a few days, but haven't gotten AF yet (i o'd sept 17 so AF should be coming later this week) as soon as i get it i will be going in for 2-3 day u/s, then taking follistim and then iui w/monitored cycle. after bfp, i will be taking prednisone and lovenox just to rule anything out (as I don't have anything which really requires those, but they have no clue why i keep miscarrying).
    i turn 36 tomorrow so not looking forward to it and really wish i had children by now.

also - d & c's are fine just so you know in case you are scared (I was freaked out because i had never been put under before), you will want to rest for a couple of days after though, feels like period cramps and they put me on naproxen.
    Last edited by JL06; 09-26-2011 at 03:16 PM.

katvon3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry you've had to go through that. I don't know about you but I never really considered this happening. I thought I might have problems conceiving but never considered miscarrying. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I'm determined to make this happen and I'm sure you're the same!!

Happy early birthday!! I just had mine on the 17th.

Katie

JL06
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    we sure get wonderful bday presents, don't we......
    hopefully next bday we have little ones - happy bday to you too

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast