FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

BC-Sirell
    is loving her new home in San Diego!
    BC for Surrogacy
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused

D&C Pathology Results

I had a D&C three weeks ago today for a 12w5d pregnancy and we sent the tissue to be tested hoping for some answers as to what caused the M/C. We received the results yesterday that the "specimen was contaminated", therefore no testing was able to be performed. What does this mean?? How could this happen?

As if the loss of my IP's precious little boy wasn't bad enough, now we'll never know what happened.

Sirell

2. Advertisement

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG how horrible!!

I would definitely look into it further. This is not something that they should be allowed to say "oops, oh well."

Abilene
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry your specimen wasn't prepared so you could find an answer to your questions. We had genetic testing on our fetus last April and found it was incompatable with life trisomy 9. It just sucks you will never know.
    Are you and your dh going you a genetic counselor or having your own blood tested for chromosomal abnormalaties? It might help. Even seeing a genetic counselor might help answer some questions. Press your doctor for answers on what else can be done to find out what happened.

I bet they wound up testing your tissue rather than the fetus, that seems to be what usually happens when people don't get any result.

You might want to pose your questions up on the genetic board.
    Abilene.

Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sirell,
    I am so sorry you weren't able to get answers but unfortunately this is somewhat common. I had a consult with my RE this week and he said that most often, results come back that they weren't able to get a reading. To actually have an "answer" is more unusual acc to my RE.

My results came back genetically normal female, which means they could have tested my tissue and not the baby's. It stinks, but there are so many unknowns in this process.

I'm so sorry for your and your IP's loss.
    Nan75 (30); DH (31)
    TTC #1; Dx: Unexplained
    3 IUIs: BFN
    IVF #1: BFP; M/C at 8 weeks
    IVF #2: BFP; M/c at 10 weeks

Momto2boys
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry you did not get more information. I know exactly what you are feeling. I was 14 weeks 4 days when I lost my baby. My results also came back "contaminated." What an awful word. As time has gone by I know that the results would not have changed the way I feel. Regardless of the reason, we have lost our children, and in comparison with the rest of the world, that puts us on the sucky side of the statistics.

I think I remember you from the due date boards when I was pregnant. You are doing a wonderful thing helping women have babies.

Tracy
    IVF #1 5/95 - Chem Preg
    DS#1 Age 9
    9/98 natural conception - loss at 6 weeks
    3/99 natural concepion - loss at 9 weeks
    DS#2 born at 29 weeks Age 6 Held for the first time Christmas Eve 1999
    Surprise natural conception 4/04 - due 12/24/04 - no hearbeat detected 6/29/04 at 14w4d I miss you so much my little one

BC-Sirell
    is loving her new home in San Diego!
    BC for Surrogacy
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thank you, everyone!

Tracy, just exactly what does "contaminated" mean? Does that mean that someone used something unsterile during the process somewhere? Was the tissue not shipped correctly to the lab for testing? We all just really need some answers here and no one seems able to provide them.

Sirell

LouHoo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sirell,

I am so sorry! I know how you feel. I had a D&C in December and waited almost four weeks for results. Finally I called my RE to find out what was going on. He had to call the lab and track it down, only to find out that they never did the testing! They did some sort of test to confirm that there was placental tissue, but nothing else. I was devestated. It's not like they can draw my blood again or something. Once the specimen is gone, it's gone forever! You have trust your doctors and the laboratory so much in this process, and it's just an awful feeling to find out that you've been let down or that something feel through the cracks. I am still upset about it. Knowing the results would not have changed how I felt about the miscarriage, but I really just wanted to know if there was a specific cause and what the odds were that this could occur again, other than the general odds of having a miscarriage.

Hopefully you will never have another miscarriage, but I know if I do, I will be extra diligent about my instructions and following up quickly (or having my DH follow up) to insure that the specimen is tested properly.

I hope that the next time works for you. Good luck!
    - LouHoo (38); DH (42)

6 IUIs, 7 IVFs, 3 FETs
    DS born 6/22/03 and one ectopic (IVF #4)
    M/C at 8 weeks (FET #2)
    DS born 12/28/2006 (natural surprise)
    DD born 8/18/2008 (another natural surprise)