FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

MrsRogo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd IVF Successes?

Ladies,

I figured this would be a good place for me to get some positive reinforcement... I just got a bfn from my first IVF and am anxious about starting #2. How many of you had success on your second IVF?
    Me 38/DH 39
    IVF #1 01/07 - BFN
    IVF #2 04/07 - BFP!!!
    It's a boy!
    Benjamin Beyer born 1/5/08 6 lbs. 3 oz. 19"

Trying for #2 11/08 (FET)
    Beta 10dpt - 542; 11dpt - 984; 14dpt - 2093

2. Advertisement

mvp
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry to hear of your BFN. It's devastating to hear those words. I had success with IVF#2. Usually the dr. seems to have a better idea about what treatment to give since you've already been through a cycle. When do you plan on doing another? Best of luck to you.

Michelle

marie carla
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry MrsRogo
    and thanks MVP for posting...I am curious to read the other posts that happen here...I need the hope.

see my profile but I am unexplained and need stories of IVF success.
    I have done 4 iuis, one fet, one fresh ivf and have my beta THIS Friday for my 2nd Fresh IVF. I havent tested and dont plan to because I just FEEL as though its another BFN, how could I be preggo? I never have been and no RE knows what the problem is! All my stuff is ALWAYS perfect across the board...I have never seen a + in my life. I would think after years of tryin naturally on my own at ages 23-27--it wouldve happened and then with 2 yrs of ART--NADA!

Gala139
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yay! I love this thread! I'm a 2nd IVF success story! I'd always held out that IVF would rescue me, so when the first one failed, I was devastated. I pushed to jump right into my second cycle and lo and behold, it worked and I am almost 18 weeks pregnant with a DS.

They say the first IVF can be a "test run" wherein the RE makes an educated guess about what the right cocktail is for your body, and then fine tunes it in subsequent tries. That and the fact that it's always a crapshoot--maybe the "right" egg didn't mature this cycle but your next one you'll have one or even more than one that are perfect. Don't lose hope!

And I'm 39 1/2 y.o.!

Angie1979
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too was successful on IVF#2. I did IVF#1- a fresh ET and a frozen ET- both negative. I thought IVF#1 was surely going to be positive. Both times I transferred two near perfect embryos- even the embriologist was impressed with how 'great' they were. My RE told me it takes a lot for the embriologist to say that. So of course, I was devestated when both ET ended in BFN.
    Fast forward to IVF #2. Meds were about the same for me- I over responded as usual. I did my ET on Thanksgiving Day- did my best to take it easy- my whole family waited on me. But my 2 year old nephews made total bed rest impossible. 2 weeks later I for the call- BFP. My embryos were good quality again- although not as good as my first attempt.

I think it's really hard why one cycle is a BFN, and then one can be a BFP. Don't loose hope though. I know IVF is a long painful process- but many people cycle several times before getting their BFP.

Good Luck on FRIDAY!!

marie carla
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

preg mentioned

Hi
    I am the same as Angie:
    I was successful on IVF#2.
    I did IVF#1- a fresh and then a FET- both negative. (after having done 4 IUIs)

I stimmed w/ the same drug, Follistim, etc and produced the same number of eggs (23). I put back 2 embies. but this time they were both 8 cells. On my first failed IVF I put back a 7 cell and a 10 cell. My linings have always been great above 10mm.

This time it just worked. I am still shocked as I am only 6 weeks tomorrow and anything can still happen...good luck to everyone

Lula
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    MrsRogo - I'm sorry about your first cycle. There are some good success stories here about second cycles!!

I had a BFN on #1 with the antagon protocol. Retrieved 25 eggs, 13 fertilized, transferred some ok blasts and none made it to freeze.

For #2, did the long lupron protocol, Retrieved 26 eggs, 22 fertilized, did a 3dt with some good looking embies (clinic does not really grade) and had 11 to freeze. A much better cycle and it may have been due to the change in protocol, some lifestyle changes, or who knows what. I am PG with a singleton and 26 weeks along.

Best of luck on your second cycle!! Keep hope alive!

Carla -- congrats to you!!!!

bhoban
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a 2nd IVF success!

Both IVF cycles they retrieved a similar number of eggs (20 & 22) but the second time we did 100% ICSI (IVF#1 was 50% ICSI). We didn't need it, but the ICSI ones seemed to do better. I also ate a lot of protein to try to help make more mature eggs. My RE had me on Lupron/Follistim/Repronex/PIO. The first time I had Repronex ever day - the second cycle I only took it the first 3 days & my body actual responded better with less LH. I also was on BA the second time.

IVF #1 my beta was a big fat 0 - nothing stuck at all. I had been POAS, but it was still hard to here that big empty number when I got the call. I wanted to cycle again right away so was on BCP 1 month, the next month BCP + Lupron & then stimmed after that.

Good luck with your second IVF - hopefully it will be the one that does the trick for you!
    me,34 DH,50
    DS, Mick 9
    Aiden, 16w3d Jan '06 (IUI #1-delivered early due to PPROM)
    early loss, May '06 (IUI#4)~IUI 2,3,5,6 & IVF#1=BFN
    IVF#2: 5dt of 3~BFP 7dp5dt~U/S 6w5d: 1 beautiful ~ NT u/s 1:2 odds of a chromosome abnormality due to cystic hygroma - but it's a healthy girl! Brianna Eileen born 39w1d-now 5 yrs old!

Ginachka
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am 2nd IVF success!
    My 1st cycles i was over suppressed (standard lupron protocol) and only had 3 embryos that really did not divide (we transferred 3 3-cells embryos).
    This cycle i began taking DHEA for 2 months prior to er and was on antagonist protocol--and the results were totally different. This time we transferred 3 8-cells grade 1 embryos and froze 2 5-cells grade 2 embryos. And this cycle I got BFP --first time in my life!!
    I really feel that the 1st cycle is usually like an experiment where they really don't know whats going to work and how its going to work, but 2nd cycle they already have a better idea.
    Good luck on your 2nd IVF!!!
    Gina (34) & Dmitri (34)
    5 IUIs--BNF
    IVF#1 IVF-Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur--chemical
    IVF#2 ER 2/ 19 ET 2/ 22 11dp3dt BFP Beta#1=60.8; Beta#2 13dp=162; 20dp=3,208.1; 28dp=24,000
    Robert Ethan and Preston James have arrived on 9/ 28/ 07 We are so in love