FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

runnergal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know when OHSS symptoms subside?

I'm about 4 weeks today and while I'm extremely grateful for my BFP I'm just wondering when I might expect my OHSS symptoms to subside. My RE said my case was mild to moderate, I've gained only about 4 lbs. of water but look at least 3 months pregnant.

Just hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel. Any experiences, opinions, etc. would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement

MMM26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    At 4 weeks my RE told me it could last a few more weeks. I am 6w5d and its now getting better. I started to see an improvement around 5 1/2 weeks. My weight has now gotten back to normal the past few days and my bloating has gone down now, but i still cant fit into most of my pants. I has my u/s friday and it showed 3 sacs, but 2 heart beats. So twins for sure, possible triplets. I got back this friday for another u/s to see it the 3rd sac has a heartbeat. I dont think my stomach is going to go down any further. So it gets better but i know it doesnt feel like it is going to. Drink lots of gatoraide. Good luck

1julie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of what I have read and asked of other doctors (on www..org, dr. Sher, and on Reproductive Partners website-dr Wisot) is it "self resolves" during the 6-8th week of pregnancy when the placent takes over the peoduction of hormones.

I am experiencing moderate to severe OHSS and am miserable. I'd love to disucss some symptoms with others, and what you are doing, but don't wish to take away from your initial post. Can you post what you are expeirencing? I just want to get a feel for "how bad" my OHSS really is.

Thanks

runnergal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My RE told me that my OHSS was "mild to moderate" so I guess it could have been a lot worse. My stomach is huge - I look pregnant. I have gained only about 4 lbs of water weight and feel a "heavy" feeling in my stomach. I had to go up a size in pants and thank god for low rise. My symptoms have alleviated a little over the weekend, which of course worries me! LOL. Will I ever be happy?

So my RE told me lots of salty foods (I like turkey jerky b/c it's very salty and doesn't take up a lot of room in my stomach) and guzzle gatorade. I also have to wear diabetic socks and take a baby aspirin everyday. They also told me no running, no jumping, no aerobics - but keep walking b/c you have to keep your blood moving.

Good luck to you! I hope your symptoms go away soon.

1julie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have gained about 11 pounds in the last week -10 days. It gets worse in the evening, I have a really hard time breathing. My stomach is swollen so I look like I am about 4-5 months pregnant. I use to measure a 24 inch waist, now its 33.5-34.5 depending on the time of day. That's 10 inches in a little over a week.

I want to strangle my RE because he doesn't seem concerned. I have had my stomach drained twice and been to the ER once, but he's like, "oh, we'll your just uncomfortable and a little dehydrated". I drink 2-3 litres of gatorade a day and recently added 2-4 glasses of water as instructed by them. I have been told to stay away from salty foods and eat as much protein as possible. The only problem is I have NOWHERE to put this food I am suppose to be eating. I am so freaking hungry, and it HURTS after a few bites. I know I must sound like the biggest baby, I can tolerate pain well, but this is just rediculious.

Even my back is swollen, around my kidneys. My mom wasn't too concerned, until she came over and saw that my back was swollen. Instead of having a natural curvature in my spine, my back looks flat from all the fluid. I have to hold the base of my stomach UP when I walk around.

Anybody else.....

runnergal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so sorry. That sounds really awful and quite serious. What do the ER docs have to say? You'd think someone would be worried. I have also found that it is really hard to eat. I have to say, I do feel better when I eat salty foods. I was told that they help soak up the water that's leaking from your ovaries and puts it in other tissue. I guess that water has no where to go. My RE was very worried about me. At one point he was calling me at home every other night.

Today I'm 18DPO and definitely feel better - although still really bloated.

Good luck to you. I hope you don't have to suffer that much longer.

MMM26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1julie
    I

Even my back is swollen, around my kidneys. My mom wasn't too concerned, until she came over and saw that my back was swollen. Instead of having a natural curvature in my spine, my back looks flat from all the fluid. I have to hold the base of my stomach UP when I walk around.

Anybody else.....

My OHSS has finally gotten better but i was alot like you. I gained 15 pounds in 4 days and my waist went up apprx 10 inches. My back swelled as well as my hips and even my (TMI) labia area in the vagina area. My RE told me to put ice on that area once it got that bad. I didnt have to be drained but kept drinking gatorade. I also ate alot of chicken noodle soup broth and sometimes noodles. it was about the only thing that somewhat filled me up since i couldnt eat much and it has alot of sodium. I am 7weeks tomorrow and my weight is normal and my waist is still about 4 inches off but i have multiples in there so i dont think its going to go back down.

maryP926
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had severe OHSS and was actually hospitalized 3x. I had fluid drained several times, and I was soooo uncomfortable for weeks. At the worst point I had put on around 30lbs of fluid weight. I know you need to make sure you are urinating sufficiently, so I don't know if the high sodium is a good idea (I think Gatorade has enough sodium anyway.) You also need to be monitored, because you are at increased risk of blood clots. My RE had me on heparin for several days.
    I know how you feel about not being able eat, the pressure can be unbearable...It feels like someone is tightening a belt around your ribcage and squeezing! I actually lost 5lbs in my 1st trimester, once the fluid weight went away.
    I didn't actually feel better until I stopped PIO shots @ about 10w post transfer.
    Hang in there, it does get better.
    Me 37/DH 38
    Twins R & T 3/14/06

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. " --Maureen Hawkins.

wishing
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    My major OHSS symptoms did not subside until about 5 months into my pregnancy and I am still a little enlarged but very mild.