FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

RR_76
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Painful Period After DNC?

Hi.i had a m/c two months ago, and had a DNC. i also have PCOS and never ever ever get my period naturally. 9 weeks from the DNC i had my period. was shocked. have never had it without being on the pill. so my questions are a) is the first period after a DNC extremely painfull? i had a trip to see my doc during what i figured was when i was ovulating, the pain was that bad. b) does having a DNC increase your chances of being regular after? (i.e for someone like me who never gets their period, and c) i have read a DNC sometimes makes you more fertile the next time. any truth to that?

lastly, now i dont know if i should resume my clomid or try naturally. but of course my doc is on vacation! THANKS

2. Advertisement

SC-Sherb
    living in CrazyTown!
    SC, BC of GP, 2WW & Preg after Loss-M/C
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    RR 76 - I'm sorry to hear about your m/c. Hugs to you. I've had 2 myself. After my last one in Oct/07, I bled very lightly for about 5-7 days and then had another light period a couple of weeks later. I always had regular periods to begin with, so, maybe that could be the reason.

As for your painful period, I don't know if it could be due to your situation. I do know that after having my son in August, that my 1st regular period after him was excruciatingly painful and heavy, which they used to be when I was younger. Once I started back on my bc pills, my periods have lightened and are not as painful again.

I'm not sure if a D&C makes you more fertile but I will tell you that I was pregnant within 2 months after having my D&C and 1st period (D&C on Nov. 5/07 and pregnant by Christmas). I don't have any other underlying fertility issues though. My OB did tell us when we m/c'd that we could try as soon as we felt ready to after my D&C. He didn't say that we had to wait.

If you do feel that there is something else wrong, then hopefully you can see your Dr. as soon as he/she is back from vacation.

Lots of positive thoughts that you get pregnant soon and have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

tanyakollack
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to let you know, I don't know about the periods, but after my DNC I was pregnant within two months, he is now 4 1/2. I had another M/C naturally in September 08 and am currently 21 weeks pregnant. I got pregnant before the next cycle!! I believe it works!

Quote Originally Posted by RR_76
    Hi.i had a m/c two months ago, and had a DNC. i also have PCOS and never ever ever get my period naturally. 9 weeks from the DNC i had my period. was shocked. have never had it without being on the pill. so my questions are a) is the first period after a DNC extremely painfull? i had a trip to see my doc during what i figured was when i was ovulating, the pain was that bad. b) does having a DNC increase your chances of being regular after? (i.e for someone like me who never gets their period, and c) i have read a DNC sometimes makes you more fertile the next time. any truth to that?

lastly, now i dont know if i should resume my clomid or try naturally. but of course my doc is on vacation! THANKS

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    First, I'm so sorry for your loss.

After my D&C last year, my first period was super heavy and painful. However my cycles after that were back to "normal". I had PCOS, but at the time didn't know that. My cycles were always long and I never knew when I'd get my period, so the D&C didn't help regulate those at all. I was referred to a RE, and diagnosed with PCOS. I was put on metformin and clomid, and I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant, so it can happen! Good luck!!

Dawn

RR_76
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the responses. i think potentially i may be ovulating again this month, (go figure, i would be so freakin excited to be able to ovulate naturally). i feel the same pain i had last month when i ended up getting my period, and other symtoms of ovulation. so we tried/are trying naturally this month. we'll see what happens! i did talk to my doc and he did say was probably a fluke to get my period after a D&C given my history, but if it repeats this month and next month he thinks there may be a connection, although he has never seen that before "in his travels".