FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

ktal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Any anti-depressants/anti-anxiety that don't make you gain weight?

Hi gals...

I am on wellbutrin for pretty bad anxiety. I don't think it is working. I want to get on something else, but wellbutrin is the only one that doesn't make you gain weight. With a history of eating disorder, I don't want to put more weight on and therefore make me more depressed. Have you all had any experiences with any that didn't make you gain weight?

PS...
    I have tried Zoloft (gained), Lexapro (hated) and then the Wellbutrin

Any thoughts would be great!!
    Katherine (KT)
    3 yrs
    1 year

"Mothers of little boys work from SON up to SON down"

2. Advertisement

AnnetteG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Sadly, no. Most of them have this side effect but the opposite effect is that once you start feeling better you are more likely to do more, get out more, etc. At least that's the line that doc's have fed me over the years (I used to be a nurse )

How are you doing on the Wellbutrin?
    Proud Mommy of &

tkrn97
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Topomax

I suffered with sever ppd after all my pregnancies and I have been on almost all meds for this illness. Unfortunately the majority of then cause weight gain. I too have body issues and became even more upset and depressed with any weight gain.

I now have a great psychiatrist who understands my situation and this is the solution we have come up with. Seroquel works GREAT for anxiety, insomnia and mood swings. I did not gain much weight with a lower dose.

When I first went to this doctor I had gained 30lbs from previous meds. He placed me on TOPOMAX to help with weight loss. All the weight came off and stayed off. I stayed on TOPOMAX to counteract any possible weight gain and I had very few side effects.

I am off all meds now as I'm in the middle of #1 IVF cycle.

Good luck

Tina
    ---------------
    m/c twins at 16 wks 10/96
    Quinn 12/16/97
    Kurt 6/3/99
    Justin 6/26/01
    #1 IVF after tubal
    Last edited by tkrn97; 05-12-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Phud
    is super busy!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Wellbutrin is considered "weight neutral" meaning that the majority of people do not gain while on it. I've been on it for two years and have not had problems with weight gain.

I was on Effexor before I was on Wellbutrin. Effexor was very helpful for my anxiety attacks and my GP recommended it over Wellbutrin for people with anxiety problems. I was on Effexor for almost a year before I started gaining weight. That is when I switched to Wellbutrin. I also was not having nearly the anxiety problems as before and needed something more geared toward depression. I do know some people gain right away on Effexor, but I've known many who have lost weight as well.

I know there are more "weight neutral" antidepressants out there, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Definitely talk to your doctor if the Wellbutrin isn't helping. If you've been on it for more than a month and are still having the anxiety attacks, there may be an adjustment your doctor can make to help you with that. When I started having insomnia on Effexor, my doctor added a light antidepressant to take at night that made me sleepy. He said it is not uncommon for people to take low doses of two antidepressants or an antidepressant and an antianxiety med in combo. Because each will direct the appropriate levels of different chemicals.
    I don't need you to remind me of my age. I have a bladder to do that for me. ~Stephen Fry

mirascolors
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to take wellbutrin for a few years and at first, it gave me headaches and sleeplessness. Then those side effects wore off, but were soon replaced by more anxiety and I was actually having more panic attacks on it. I stopped taking it though and while I was on it, I didn't notice any weight gain or weight loss.

NewMama1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was prescribed Celexa for Postpartum Anxiety. I haven't noticed any crazy weight gains and have been on it for over 2 yrs.