FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Mom_2_One
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone over 40 with PCOS?

Hi,
    I just found out that I have "mild PCOS". I have regular periods and I am ovulating. I've checked each month for several months by OPKs and I'm getting LH surges.

I lost two pregnancies to m/c last year and asked my RE in Boston to do a work up to find a possible explanation. She basically did a bunch of blood tests, but did not check my TESTOSTERONE. I also had a HSG (x-ray of the uterus and tubes), which was normal, but NO ULTRASOUND OF OVARIES!!! She said my m/cs were due to age.

I went to a new RE he did an ultra sound and tested testosterone and told me I have PCOS which is probably why I had those miscarriages last year.

I am on Metformin and handling it well. But I am concerned about my biological clock at 42 years old. Any older women with PCOS having success TTC on Metformin? My RE says he will do IVF if I want, but also really is not very encouraging in general when it comes to ivf/art success rates in women my age (even if they do not have PCOS). I have great FSH, LH and estradiol levels. Thanks for reading.

2. Advertisement

triciaism
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I'm 36 but wanted to welcome you and wish you luck. There are some girls here who have had success w/met. Sounds like you have some regularity on your side w/cycles and hormone leves - that's definately an advantage. Do you know "for sure" that you "O"? Was that part of the testing? Sometimes doctors assume we do because Af is regular. Maybe the met will keep you stable w/the testosterone and produce a full term preg.!
    Good luck to you!
    Tricia

Mom_2_One
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I am definitely ovulating because earlier this week I tested with a BFP! I'm very hopeful for this pregnancy. I started Metformin on the day I ovulated. I am praying that the meds will help me sustain a healthy pregnancy. I'm having my b-HCGs drawn now. My progesterone looks good. I'll get my second b-HCG results back on Monday. I am expecting to see a doubling!

triciaism
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Congrats.
    You sure are ovulating! I hope for doubling too - let me know. Do you know we have a pregnancy board here also? There is a section on betas and everything else.
    Let me know how your doing!!!!
    Congrats again.
    Tricia

pookietooth
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the pregnancy! I am 42. I am not on metformin, but I did do a cycle of injectibles (Follistim) this spring, and got pregnant. Unfortunately, I miscarried at 6 weeks.

Dee67
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom_2_One
    Hi,
    I am definitely ovulating because earlier this week I tested with a BFP! I'm very hopeful for this pregnancy. I started Metformin on the day I ovulated. I am praying that the meds will help me sustain a healthy pregnancy. I'm having my b-HCGs drawn now. My progesterone looks good. I'll get my second b-HCG results back on Monday. I am expecting to see a doubling!
    How AWESOME
    just was peeking @ this board and seen your thread.......I'm 41 and m/c'd on June 13/14th. I've had PCOS since my early 20's....and unfortunately Met/Femara was never an option given to me!!!!! Why? I've NO clue. I finally had an Ovarian Drilling done in 2006 and by the grace of God...I had our
    daughter, Ryanne, in Jan. 2007........with "MY" PCOS...I don't have periods on my own, typically...but since having my daughter, I've had fairly regular periods Apparently ovulated...but m/c'd....I've called my OB and ASKED for
    Metformin......but...they don't think I need it.....*shrugs* Who knows!!!

ANYWAY....good luck with EVERYTHING and you are in my thoughts/prayers! KUP....please.

~Dee

Diagnosed with PCOS - my early 20's
    Ovarian Drilling - Feb. 2006

YAY!!!!
    Daphne Ryanne - Jan. 9th, 2007
    6lbs 7oz 18 inches
    Our true miracle